Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
>
>> this might look to be complicated, but I sincerely believe this approach
>> will work out, not only with your harddisk, but with anything else.
>>
>> Go to:
>> http://www.webmin.com/download.html
>>
>> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
>> = Install it by clicking on it
>> = login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
>> = go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
>> = click on your disk
>> = adjust accordingly
>>
>> kind regards and happy new year
>>

> I think that so long as we can help Stephen configure his system the
> correct way, that would be preferable. I personally do not like
> applications that work black magic behind the scenes, and may alter
> his configuration in a way that would be difficult or impossible to
> undo.

Eberhard just gave me the same instruction. I am in a strange
position. I care for you all and do not want to offend, however, I am
in the middle of a fix that is being provided by a kind and skillful
technician. He solved the problem I was having where sdb5 had to be
made active every time I opened my computer. I am so protective of my
relationship with all of you, as I am with the person who is currently
working the problem. I will save the solutions for review after the
partition is repaired. He seems to have the same goal in mind. Thanks
to all.

Steven

Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> "gedit" is a text editor, I thought that it was installed in all
> Ubuntu installations.

It is, but this is the Kubuntu list.

Try kedit instead if you use KDE (er, I think
> that I remember that you do!)
>
> $ sudo kedit /etc/fstab

Actually, it's called kate:

sudo kate /etc/fstab

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> $ sudo cd /media/sdb5
> $ sudo ls -l

That won't work. Try:

sudo -i
cd /media/sd5
ls -l
exit

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
>
>> this might look to be complicated, but I sincerely believe this approach
>> will work out, not only with your harddisk, but with anything else.
>>
>> Go to:
>> http://www.webmin.com/download.html
>>
>> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
>> = Install it by clicking on it
>> = login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
>> = go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
>> = click on your disk
>> = adjust accordingly
>>
>> kind regards and happy new year
>>

> I think that so long as we can help Stephen configure his system the
> correct way, that would be preferable. I personally do not like
> applications that work black magic behind the scenes, and may alter
> his configuration in a way that would be difficult or impossible to
> undo.

I am a little mixed up. There are several posts and lots of
differences. I am a little confused. Anyway above it says to download
the deb or ubuntu and...
Am I supposed to download another Hardy distribution? What does the
pronoun 'it' refer to? Is it a package called ubuntu.deb? I am
installed as Kubuntu Hardy with KDE 3.5.10. Both Dotan and Eberhard are
my close friends and it appears in conflict. I would rather have my
computer broken than offend either of you. And I don't know which is
better advice.

Am I supposed to type into the terminal:

= Download the deb for ubuntu and...

I will wait for a little more input before I proceed. Thanks to you all.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Steven Vollom

Dear Dotan,

Before I read this help, I had already solved the problem.
ConstantinosMaltezos gave me the final answer. You and the others have
solved a problem I have been living with for over a year. Thanks friend.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Steven Vollom

> That does sound right. I did not even notice that as I was
> concentrating on sdb5. However, as it is not automatically mounted, it
> seems that the OP may have neverfound himself in that situation.

I am not sure I understand. Are you suggesting if the partition was
automounted, it would then be recognized when I attempt to install a
second OS?

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Steven Vollom

> That's a good point. It depends on what you call "a problem" for other
> mount points. If sda1 is mounted first, the new devices will be mounted
> below /media on sda1. If sda1 is mounted later, those devices which were
> mounted before sda1 are on /media on the root device (sdb1). However
> these devices will not be visible any longer after sda1 is mounted. This
> situation is certainly not wanted but the mount operation wouldn't fail.
> Anyway, the only time the mount operation would fail is when there is no
> appropriate directory for the new device at mount time.

I am unable to understand this part. I will keep studying though.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Steven Vollom

> I means that there is an irresponsible entry in your fstab file. But
> do not worry, in your normal usage it will not affect you because the
> partition is not automatically mounted, and I know from conversations
> with you that you do not mount that partition. If you are inclined to
> fix it then change this line:
> /dev/sda1 /media ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
> To this:
> /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>
> The difference is in the second option, I changed it from "/media" to
> "/media/sda1".

Dear Dotan,

If I recall correctly, I need to enter the fstab file in a special way
so that I can modify it. When one of the tasks was performed in the
recent past, I lost all my saved email records. I lost the email that
had the instruction to get into fstab in a way that I could modify it.
I tried kate; /root/etc/fstab, I tried kate; /etc/fstab. Is Kate the
wrong text editor?

It was a significant loss, my email records, I had code for all my
repairs in there, including how to edit fstab. Please help once again.
I will save it again. Additionally, I will purchase a thumb drive and
copy all future code instructions to it. Thanks and sorry for having to
ask again.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Steven Vollom

> $ sudo kate /etc/fstab
>
> "sudo" means to do something with root privileges. Since you are
> editing a system file, you need this.
> "kate" is the name of the program that you are calling. You can use
> gedit, kedit, vim, emacs, or even notepad if you have it installed!
> "/etc/fstab" is the path to the file that you are editing.
>
> You made a good guess using the semicolon character, though.

I used kedit and made the change. What was the benefit of using the
';'? It wasn't really an accident, other than I used that method of
separating the code from the sentence. Normally I would have done it
like this 'kedit /etc/fstab'. Did this change the mount point to
'/media to /media/sda1'?

Cudos,
Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Steven Vollom

> /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>
> The difference is in the second option, I changed it from "/media" to
> "/media/sda1".

I think I screwed up. I opened the GUI to look at the partitions in
Disk&Filesystems. I expected to find sda1 with a mount point of
/media/sda1. It showed as /media/sdb1 instead of /media/sda1. I then
opened the Konsole and entered sudo kedit /media/sdb2 to try to get to
that error. This is what came on the Konsole:

steven@Studio25:~$ sudo kedit /media/sdb1
[sudo] password for steven:
Error: "/tmp/kde-steven" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.

kedit opened to a blank page and in the title bar it reads /media/sdb1 -
KEdit <2>, like I have two KEdit windows open.

I want to go back and edit the mount point as /media/sda1.

Steven