Old 01-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Default How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have posted this problem many times. Someone made suggestions of how to
> create a subfolder in sdb5 that would work, however, I have to activate sdb5
> every time I bootup. And then, only the subfolder is functional. Would
> anyone like to take a crack at this ongoing problem. Thanks!
>
> Steven

Hi Steven,

this might look to be complicated, but I sincerely believe this approach
will work out, not only with your harddisk, but with anything else.

Go to:
http://www.webmin.com/download.html

= Download the deb for ubuntu and...
= Install it by clicking on it
= login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
= go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
= click on your disk
= adjust accordingly

kind regards and happy new year

Eberhard

Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Steven Vollom

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I have posted this problem many times. Someone made suggestions of how to
>> create a subfolder in sdb5 that would work, however, I have to activate sdb5
>> every time I bootup. And then, only the subfolder is functional. Would
>> anyone like to take a crack at this ongoing problem. Thanks!
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Hi Steven,
>
> this might look to be complicated, but I sincerely believe this approach
> will work out, not only with your harddisk, but with anything else.
>
> Go to:
> http://www.webmin.com/download.html
>
> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
> = Install it by clicking on it
> = login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
> = go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
> = click on your disk
> = adjust accordingly
>
> kind regards and happy new year
>
> Eberhard

Good to hear your voice again my friend. I have not forgotten you, but
I still haven't gotten the return of a defective power supply, so my new
computer sits on a workbench waiting to complete.

Eberhard, I am in the middle of a project with another helper on List
who is taking time to work through this problem. He has already
provided a fix for another long-standing problem. I could not offend
him in the middle of his work, by using someone else's solution. I hope
that does not offend you, or make you want to keep from helping me in
the future. His help of me is almost like working on a chat program,
his answers and instruction come so fast. I am going to save this email
as a backup. I hope you understand, my friend.

Steven

Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
> = Install it by clicking on it
> = login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
> = go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
> = click on your disk
> = adjust accordingly

There's nothing wrong with webmin if it's configured securely. But it's
always harder to give GUI directions then command-line ones.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
>> this might look to be complicated, but I sincerely believe this approach
>> will work out, not only with your harddisk, but with anything else.
>>
>> Go to:
>> http://www.webmin.com/download.html
>>
>> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
>> = Install it by clicking on it
>> = login with you browser to https://localhost:10000
>> = go to "system/disk and network filesystem"
>> = click on your disk
>> = adjust accordingly
>>
>> kind regards and happy new year
>>

> I think that so long as we can help Stephen configure his system the
> correct way, that would be preferable.

agreed,
it was just a suggestion to get the job done. I also felt that it would
be ok to hopefully stop this neverending thread. ;-)

Also, just please provide a few examples where webmin configures the
system incorrectly, so I can avoid using it for that purpose(s).

For what I use it for, I never ever had any difficulties.

I personally do not like
> applications that work black magic behind the scenes,

this is perfectly ok for you and me, albeit probably not for everyone.

>and may alter
> his configuration in a way that would be difficult or impossible to
> undo.

again, a few examples would be of great help.

Highly recommended as an introduction (for some, not for everyone):

"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love UNIX" ;-)
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781886411920/

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Excellent, but can you go back and restore the system to how it was
> before you started? Do you know what changes it makes to your system?
> What (possibly incorrect) assumtions it makes?

No, you are absolutely correct. At least as long as I am not looking at
the source code.

We are talking about a
> desktop machine here, not a server, does webmin take that into
> account?

yes, it does not "only" install servers, since a few years, it is always
handy to administer the local desktop*s technical features, just as well.

>> Highly recommended as an introduction (for some, not for everyone):
>>
>> "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love UNIX" ;-)
>> http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781886411920/
>>

> Thanks, I will read that. If it's on oreilly, it is probably worth a good read.

Yes it is. There is also a pdf version available. I just forgot where.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/4 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
>>> Thanks, I will read that. If it's on oreilly, it is probably worth a good read.
>> Yes it is. There is also a pdf version available. I just forgot where.
>>

> After replying, I went to the site and I see that it is a book for
> sale. Oreilly generally provides PDFs of their books, but they are
> subject to the same copyright as the books are and are therefore not
> available for free download. I suppose that it could be found with
> some creative googling, but instead I will just google webmin and read
> texts that were _meant_ to be read. Thanks for the tip, though!

alternatively:

http://swelltech.com/support/pdfs/webminguide.pdf