-   -   How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/221637-how-do-i-activate-my-sdb5-partition-have-stay-active-continually.html)

Steven Vollom 01-03-2009 02:55 AM

How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

I have posted this problem many times. Someone made suggestions of how to
create a subfolder in sdb5 that would work, however, I have to activate sdb5
every time I bootup. And then, only the subfolder is functional. Would
anyone like to take a crack at this ongoing problem. Thanks!

Steven

Constantinos Maltezos 01-03-2009 03:29 AM

On Friday 02 January 2009 9:55:40 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have posted this problem many times. Someone made suggestions of how to
> create a subfolder in sdb5 that would work, however, I have to activate
> sdb5 every time I bootup. And then, only the subfolder is functional.
> Would anyone like to take a crack at this ongoing problem. Thanks!
>
> Steven

I'm not sure I understand. You're not talking about mounting it, are you?
And you're only able to access one subfolder on the drive? Would I be correct
to assume that this is a USB drive? If so, I believe there's a current
kernel(?) limitation where it doesn't correctly poll UMS devices at bootup. I
even have to eject and push in a DVD (movie) to get it recognized again
sometimes.

Pardon me if I'm off the mark here.

Steven Vollom 01-03-2009 04:05 AM

How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

With any luck, my new computer will be functional in a week or two.

I am trying to fix this one; I want to give it to an acquaintance who doesn't
have a computer and can't afford one. It will only hold 1gb of ram, so I
will replace the defective 512mb stick. Still, I would like it to work
properly for him, if possible.

A last resort is to format and start over, after the new computer is running
smoothly. I haven't been willing to shut down for the length of time
required to reinstall the OS and partition the drives, and I haven't had a
place to put the data anyway. I can't think of anything else right now that
might give you hints of what may be the problem.

I could send you a screenprint of the drive layout, but it takes too much
space to put on the list; I would have to direct it to your email address.
Thank you for your willingness to try to solve the problem. I really want to
help this guy.

Steven

Constantinos Maltezos 01-03-2009 04:18 AM

On Friday 02 January 2009 11:05:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> With any luck, my new computer will be functional in a week or two.
>
> I am trying to fix this one; I want to give it to an acquaintance who
> doesn't have a computer and can't afford one. It will only hold 1gb of
> ram, so I will replace the defective 512mb stick. Still, I would like it
> to work properly for him, if possible.
>
> A last resort is to format and start over, after the new computer is
> running smoothly. I haven't been willing to shut down for the length of
> time required to reinstall the OS and partition the drives, and I haven't
> had a place to put the data anyway. I can't think of anything else right
> now that might give you hints of what may be the problem.

Starting over from scratch may be a good idea as your acquaintance may get
confused by all the different partitions and could probably use the continuous
space. But spend a couple of days trying to figure out what you want to back
up. Still, we can see if we can get this working.

> I could send you a screenprint of the drive layout, but it takes too much
> space to put on the list; I would have to direct it to your email address.
> Thank you for your willingness to try to solve the problem. I really want
> to help this guy.
>
> Steven

If you're referring to the contents of fstab, I don't think that would take
too much space and if it might benefit someone else, it could be useful on the
list. But, feel free to use my email address if you'd like.

Constantinos Maltezos 01-03-2009 04:24 AM

How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Oh, and it might be useful to run fsck on the partition anyway to see if there
are bad sectors on the disk. If so, they can be marked as bad when you start
from scratch so the OS knows not to use them.

I wrote a reply suggesting we look at fstab and then maybe run fsck on the
partition, but I'm not sure it went through.

Steven Vollom 01-03-2009 04:57 AM

On Saturday 03 January 2009 12:24:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> Oh, and it might be useful to run fsck on the partition anyway to see if
> there are bad sectors on the disk. If so, they can be marked as bad when
> you start from scratch so the OS knows not to use them.
>
> I wrote a reply suggesting we look at fstab and then maybe run fsck on the
> partition, but I'm not sure it went through.

To run fsck on the partition do I, using the konsole, type in: sudo
fsck /media/sdb5? Or /dev/sdb5?

Steven

Constantinos Maltezos 01-03-2009 05:20 AM

On Friday 02 January 2009 11:57:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 12:24:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > Oh, and it might be useful to run fsck on the partition anyway to see if
> > there are bad sectors on the disk. If so, they can be marked as bad when
> > you start from scratch so the OS knows not to use them.
> >
> > I wrote a reply suggesting we look at fstab and then maybe run fsck on
> > the partition, but I'm not sure it went through.
>
> To run fsck on the partition do I, using the konsole, type in: sudo
> fsck /media/sdb5? Or /dev/sdb5?
>
> Steven

The umounted device. I'll give you the steps below so you can just enter the
commands in:

sudo umount /media/sdb5
sudo fsck -c /dev/sdb5

That should do it. fsck may ask as it goes along if you want to fix some
error or other, you should be fine answering "Yes" to all of them, but if it
looks suspicious to you, answer "N" and copy the error in an email to me and
I'll tell you if it needs to be fixed or not.

Steven Vollom 01-03-2009 06:22 AM

On Saturday 03 January 2009 1:20:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1
I mounted /media/sda1 using Disk&Filesystems, it said it was mounted, however,
below it says not found. ??
umount: /media/sda1: not mounted
steven@Studio25:~$ sudo umount /media/sda1
umount: /media/sda1: not found
steven@Studio25:~$ sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1
fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/sda1 is mounted.

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

I stopped because of this. What does it mean?

Do you really want to continue (y/n)? no

check aborted.
steven@Studio25:~$

Nils Kassube 01-03-2009 06:52 AM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 1:20:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1
>
> I mounted /media/sda1 using Disk&Filesystems, it said it was mounted,

Didn't you talk about sdb5 previously?

> however, below it says not found. ??
> umount: /media/sda1: not mounted
> steven@Studio25:~$ sudo umount /media/sda1
> umount: /media/sda1: not found

Well, sda1 isn't mounted at /media/sda1 but maybe at / or somewhere else.

> steven@Studio25:~$ sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1

Now THAT was a big mistake, IMHO. Not that you damaged something in this
case but generally if you follow instructons you should not blindly
continue if there was an error. Next time you might really damage
something.

Constantinos' instructions were this:

sudo umount /media/sdb5
sudo fsck -c /dev/sdb5

If the instructions are already made for your particular situation it is
easiest to just copy one line at a time from the email and paste it to
your konsole window to avoid typos or other errors. And if you encounter
errors and don't KNOW it is harmless, please ask again before you
continue.

Nils

Steven Vollom 01-03-2009 07:08 AM

How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

> Now THAT was a big mistake, IMHO. Not that you damaged something in this
> case but generally if you follow instructons you should not blindly
> continue if there was an error. Next time you might really damage
> something.
I am sure it was. Before this List I was always experimental. I did not have
any knowledge and also no help. I never knew what I was doing. As a result
I had to reinstall a lot. Nonetheless, I really appreciate the warning. It
will register. I never knew when to be concerned before. Thanks my friend.

Because I never had anyone to help me, and because the other forums probably
could not understand my needs, due to my inability to word my needs, I might
wait a month before someone would respond. Without a computer that long
drove me crazy, so I always gambled. It gave me a lot of experience
formatting and installing and the then struggle of reconfiguration, which is
a lot easier now. I know I keep saying it, but Nils, I really appreciate
your help. You are incredible.

Steven