FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

I just never know what to call the bar at the top of a window; it is the one
that has the '-' tab, the 'box or overlapping boxes' tab, and the 'x' tab in
the upper right hand corner of the page. Anyway, when I boot up, that bar
does not activate. I have to open a konsole, type in kwin, and leave that
konsole open the entire session, or the bar deactivates.

There doesn't seem to be a man page to explain this or it's cure.

The problem may have been caused by bad memory, but I have removed the
offending memory stick, and it still does not work without the extra effort.
Does anyone know the cure for this? Thanks!

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just never know what to call the bar at the top of a window; it is
> the one that has the '-' tab, the 'box or overlapping boxes' tab, and
> the 'x' tab in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I think it is called "title bar".

> Anyway, when I boot up, that bar does not activate.

You mean the title bar for applications automatically started from entries
in the $HOME/.kde/Autostart directory? And is it the same for all
applications or only some? And which applications are affected?

> I have to open a konsole, type in
> kwin, and leave that konsole open the entire session, or the bar
> deactivates.

Someone else mentioned in a previous thread that you could use the
command "kwin &" (without quotes) and then you could close the Konsole.
Well, maybe it should be "nohup kwin &". And you could also try to use
the command kwin with the run dialog (ALT-F2).

> The problem may have been caused by bad memory, but I have removed the
> offending memory stick, and it still does not work without the extra
> effort.

I don't think it would persist after you have removed the bad memory. BTW:
Which version are you using? IIRC it is 8.10 but I'm not sure.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

On Friday 02 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just never know what to call the bar at the top of a window;

The Title Bar

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

> You mean the title bar for applications automatically started from entries
> in the $HOME/.kde/Autostart directory? And is it the same for all
> applications or only some? And which applications are affected?
Every application I have tried is affected, however I haven't tried them all.

> Someone else mentioned in a previous thread that you could use the
> command "kwin &" (without quotes) and then you could close the Konsole.
When I did that, the moment the Konsole closed, the Titlebar went inactive.
> Well, maybe it should be "nohup kwin &". And you could also try to use
> the command kwin with the run dialog (ALT-F2).
The minute I closed the konsole, the Titlebar went inactive.
> I don't think it would persist after you have removed the bad memory. BTW:
> Which version are you using? IIRC it is 8.10 but I'm not sure.
Kubuntu Hardy KDE 3.5.10

When I open using Alt+F2, it activated the Titlebar, however when I close,
then reboot the computer, it opens with an inactive Titlebar again. It is
just slightly better to not have the Konsole open all the time.

Thanks for the effort, I have to keep working the problem.

Steven


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Constantinos Maltezos
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

On Friday 02 January 2009 9:48:02 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> When I open using Alt+F2, it activated the Titlebar, however when I close,
> then reboot the computer, it opens with an inactive Titlebar again. It is
> just slightly better to not have the Konsole open all the time.
>
> Thanks for the effort, I have to keep working the problem.
>
> Steven

I haven't kept up with this thread much, so I don't know if this has been
suggested. Do alt+F2 and type in kcontrol. Then click on "KDE Components",
then "Session Manager". Make sure the dropdown menu where it says "Window
Manager" says "Kwin". If needed, log out and back in to see if it worked.

If not...

To be honest, it sounds like startkde is corrupted somehow. Make a new user
and log in to KDE. Does it have the same problem? If so, you might want to
manually force a reinstall of some KDE packages. If not, try log out of KDE,
go to a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+F2), renaming your .kde directory in your
home directory, go back to the login (ctrl+alt+F7) and log in to KDE to see if
it starts working right. If it does, do the same thing as above (logging out
of KDE and going to a virtual terminal), delete the new .kde directory, rename
the old one that you renamed to .kde and try this:

mkdir ~/.kde/share/config/backup
mv ~/.kde/share/config/kwin* ~/.kde/share/config/backup

Then go back to the login (ctrl+alt+F7) and login to see if it works. I'm
thinking that it will. You might need to adjust your settings to how you want
them again if you had changed them from the default.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

> suggested. Do alt+F2 and type in kcontrol. Then click on "KDE
> Components", then "Session Manager". Make sure the dropdown menu where it
> says "Window Manager" says "Kwin". If needed, log out and back in to see
> if it worked.
I have that window open right now; the only problem is that I don't see an
entry for window manager. I am using Kubuntu Hardy KDE3.5.10. Under Session
Manager here is what I see:
General
I have checked: Confirm logout
I have checked: Offer shutdown options
On Login
I have selected: Restore previous session
Not selected: Restore manually saved session
Not selected: Start with an empty session
Default Shutdown Option
I have selected: End current session
Not selected: Turn off computer
Not selected: Restart computer
Advanced
Applications to be exclude from sessions:
Nothing is entered.

Buttons at bottom are Help and Defaults. That is all on the Session Manager
page.


> To be honest, it sounds like startkde is corrupted somehow.
That sounds like a reasonable conclusion. I was unable to find kwin in the
package manager; is that what I need? Is there code that could instruct the
repair of startkde?
> Make a new user and log in to KDE.
I am going to try this part of help then return if it fails. Thanks a lot for
the help.
Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

> To be honest, it sounds like startkde is corrupted somehow. Make a new
> user and log in to KDE. Does it have the same problem?
As far as the Titlebar is concerned, the other User does not have the same
problem. I checked the problem in partitioning and it remains a problem for
the other user.
> If so, you might want to manually force a reinstall of some KDE packages.
I like the sound of it, but don't have the foggiest idea how to do that. I am
not experienced in using the Konsole and code.
> If not, try log out of KDE, go to a virtual terminal
I neither know how to make a virtual terminal nor how to use it. I would love
it, but I am slow to learn the more critical beginning stuff, and haven't
taken time to learn how to do that. Reading ahead, I think I need help on
what I have done before I continue. Thanks so much for the help.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Constantinos Maltezos
 
Default When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

On Friday 02 January 2009 11:43:56 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > If so, you might want to manually force a reinstall of some KDE packages.
>
> I like the sound of it, but don't have the foggiest idea how to do that. I
> am not experienced in using the Konsole and code.

But if it works for another user, we don't need to reinstall anything. It's a
setting in your home folder, so...

> > If not, try log out of KDE, go to a virtual terminal
>
> I neither know how to make a virtual terminal nor how to use it. I would
> love it, but I am slow to learn the more critical beginning stuff, and
> haven't taken time to learn how to do that. Reading ahead, I think I need
> help on what I have done before I continue. Thanks so much for the help.

First of all, a virtual terminal is a full-screen, text-mode interface - like
DOS was, if you're familiar with that. They're available at any time by
pressing ctrl+alt+F? where F? is the buttons F1 through F6. You can switch to
those and then back to the GUI with ctrl+alt+F7. In fact, when you start new
sessions without closing the first instance, they start at ctrl+alt+F8 and go
upward with each session.

In any case, I'll send you a personal email with step by step instructions to
see if we can get this thing working.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org