Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

Default a little nostalgia - ignore if you don't want to read something unrelated to help and support

I was remembering the old days of Linux. Does anyone here remember when you
booted up to X and all you got was a pixelated grey background and an xterm
with window management provided by FVWM? When you really had to be a geek to
dive in? And how impressive FVWM was as it began to get more features? I
remember switching to a vterm (or just shutting down X to conserve memory) and
playing bsd-games (especially hangman) and sasteroids all day. And the
openwindows wm was considered so advanced when it came out.

Before Linux, I was a power DOS user (well, there was the in-between time
spent with OS/2). I was really proud of the things I could make a batch file
do despite DOS' weaknesses. And using debug as an assembly compiler. I had a
lot of fun experimenting with that and even typing them up from DOS World
magazine articles. A friend and I would start dozens of text adventures with
BASIC and never finish them. And then I was introduced to the BASH shell.
Wow. The things I could do. And learning C was super-fun. (I still have a
bumper sticker on my van that says, "if you hold a Unix shell to your ear, can
you hear the C?") Today, I can only remember how to make a "hello, World"
program and I don't recall if you include stdio.h or conio.h, but when I have
some time, I'm going to relearn.

What a way we've come, eh? Sometimes I go to do something with a GUI
application and I find myself kind of sad that it's so damned easy, lol. I
kind of miss the rabid arguments between emacs users and vi users. I hated
emacs, but it's a bit sad that it's gone. But vi deserved to win, anyway.

I admit loving my KDE4. I don't want anything else unless KDE5 turns out to
be at least as cool. But like any geezer (though I'm a young one), I miss the
old days.

Get off my lawn!