Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Hidden Menubar does not drop down when I put cursor in upper left corner.

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> For static control purposes, maintain hand or arm contact with the frame
>> of the computer in order to be one with it in terms of voltage
>> differentials such as one collects just walking across a rug or tile
>> floor. Those charges can reach several thousand volts, and 7 volts can
>> blow some memory, so keep yourself in good physical contact with the frame
>> while doing this. It probably has 2 such sticks of memory in it, exercise
>> both as described, then boot the memory tester program again and let it
>> run for a few hours to see if the errors are still there.
>
>Thanks Gene. I have never had instruction. I have read and understand the
>static electricity issue, however, I have never been as careful as you
>suggested. I always ground myself on the chassis, however, once that is
>done, I have not worried about static electricity. Occasionally I touch the
>chassis just to make sure, but, just as a matter of habit. Maybe I have
>caused a static problem, but I really don't think so.

Probably not unless you have a habit of shuffling your feet as you move to a
better position, something that with a tender back, I am prone to do. But I
tend to be a bit cautious too.

>I have seen technicians put assorted memory in plastic bags allowing them to
>be in contact with eachother. I have also seen that memory function in
>another machine. Certainly, I will be more careful now. I am fortunate
> that I had my memory for the new computer checked as good after I had
> handled it in the manner I have described. I hope you had a wonderful New
> Years Day.
>
>Steven

Those plastic bags were probably made with an antistatic ingredient, often
identifyable by their pale pink color, or by a cross hatch pattern. Std
grocery store ziplock baggies might as well be a vandegraf generator.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)