Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Hidden Memubar does not drop down when I put cursor in upper left corner.

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Karl Klinger wrote:
>Karl Klinger wrote:
>>>
>>> Does the memory have to be completely free from error to be acceptable?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Karl
>
>I have read that memory problems may be due to poor connections between
>the memory slots and the memory modules. You could try pulling out the
>memory, cleaning the connectors, and putting it back in. This might
>save you having to buy new memory.
>
>Karl

I hesitated to recommend that to Steve, not knowing if he is aware of the
static control measures needed to handle memory. In his case, rather than a
complete removal, and then subjecting the edge connections on the memory to
an un-known wiping medium, wet with a solvent, which in itself could generate
some static just from mthe wiping action, I think I would simply remove and
re-insert the memory, letting the wiping be done by the sockets contacts.

Steve: The memory in most reasonably modern computers is on boards about an
inch wide and nearly 6 inches long, and each memory socket has a (usually
plastic) retainer latch at each end of the socket on the motherboard. The
latches open by pushing them out and down toward the motherboard, and will
jack the memory loose in the sockets as they so move. Once the memory is
jacked up, then reverse by pressing on the stick to push it back down in the
socket, which will when they are properly seated again, raise those latches
and cause them to engage the notches cut into the ends of the boards for that
purpose. And depending on the socket, it may take 10 pounds or so to push
them back in.

For static control purposes, maintain hand or arm contact with the frame of
the computer in order to be one with it in terms of voltage differentials
such as one collects just walking across a rug or tile floor. Those charges
can reach several thousand volts, and 7 volts can blow some memory, so keep
yourself in good physical contact with the frame while doing this. It
probably has 2 such sticks of memory in it, exercise both as described, then
boot the memory tester program again and let it run for a few hours to see if
the errors are still there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Steven Vollom

> For static control purposes, maintain hand or arm contact with the frame of
> the computer in order to be one with it in terms of voltage differentials
> such as one collects just walking across a rug or tile floor. Those
> charges can reach several thousand volts, and 7 volts can blow some memory,
> so keep yourself in good physical contact with the frame while doing this.
> It probably has 2 such sticks of memory in it, exercise both as described,
> then boot the memory tester program again and let it run for a few hours to
> see if the errors are still there.

Thanks Gene. I have never had instruction. I have read and understand the
static electricity issue, however, I have never been as careful as you
suggested. I always ground myself on the chassis, however, once that is
done, I have not worried about static electricity. Occasionally I touch the
chassis just to make sure, but, just as a matter of habit. Maybe I have
caused a static problem, but I really don't think so.

I have seen technicians put assorted memory in plastic bags allowing them to
be in contact with eachother. I have also seen that memory function in
another machine. Certainly, I will be more careful now. I am fortunate that
I had my memory for the new computer checked as good after I had handled it
in the manner I have described. I hope you had a wonderful New Years Day.

Steven