Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Hidden Memubar does not drop down when I put cursor in upper left corner. **RESOLVED**

On Thursday 01 January 2009 6:46:49 pm Karl Klinger wrote:
> Karl Klinger wrote:
> >>
> >> Does the memory have to be completely free from error to be acceptable?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Karl
>
> I have read that memory problems may be due to poor connections between
> the memory slots and the memory modules. You could try pulling out the
> memory, cleaning the connectors, and putting it back in. This might
> save you having to buy new memory.
>
> Karl

You are so amazing, Karl. I will try that. You are making me laugh. I
realize things are not funny here, but unexpected happiness makes me laugh.
I will use alcohol unless you again reply. I tell you this so that if it is
a proper cleaning agent you won't have to reply again. I also plan to run a
complete test after the cleaning. If the connection points are clean, and
there are no errors, I will post the conclusions for the sake of others.
Thanks again friend. I am going to post this as Resolved. I left the above
instead of removing irrelevant parts so that people will know the process,
because I am posting resolved.

Steven

Steven

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I will use alcohol unless you again reply.

You might do better with a soft pencil eraser.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I will use alcohol unless you again reply.
>
>You might do better with a soft pencil eraser.

No! Not no, but hell no! Dry, the eraser can and will generate local static
charges of several thousand volts, further damaging the memory. Simply
exercising the memory out of the socket and back in should take care of the
problem if indeed that is it.

My experience comes from nearly 60 of my 74 years, chasing electrons for a
living. I am a C.E.T. since 1972, and a broadcast engineer since 1964, and
have been making a living fixing electronics since about 1949.

Yeah, now I'm a genuine old fart. Almost retired for several years, CE at
WDTV-5 from 1984 to mid 2002, and my phone still rings when TSHTF. I'll
likely never be more than 'almost' retired till I fall over for good. I have
no intention of doing that, but I'm also diabetic, which says I'm at a high
risk.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 01 January 2009 9:00:46 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I will use alcohol unless you again reply.
>
> You might do better with a soft pencil eraser.

Thanks Bruce. One person who answered the post suggested just removing and
replacing to see if the friction of removal will clean them sufficiently. I
will try that first, because it seems the least dangerous, then your
suggestion. Happy New Year friend.

Steven

Old 01-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 01 January 2009 10:02:17 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> No! Not no, but hell no! Dry, the eraser can and will generate local
> static charges of several thousand volts, further damaging the memory.
> Simply exercising the memory out of the socket and back in should take care
> of the problem if indeed that is it.

You have me by 8 and 1/2 years Gene, but the actual milage for me has been in
a race car low on oil. You are probably a few years younger than me in
reality. I am just hoping to stay alive long enough to see my new computer
run. BFG Technologies was the culprit, a broken new power supply, however
they are terrible on their service, at least when they create the problem. I
have been waiting a month and a half for the replacement. I regularly get a
lot of promises from them, but no follow through. I wish they understood how
close I am to my end if life, and how much I want my new computer to work.

They say they are a little company only doing a few hundred million a year,
but they are only experts at the race to starting over in their garage. I
would never consider any of their products again. They can't see the value in
keeping a commitment or taking responsibility for their products. I am sorry
I went off subject there. I have to face the problem every day and somehow I
got on that subject. I will leave it though, just in case you decide to
purchase a power supply or video card or motherboard or any of the other
products they peddle. They talk strong and deliver soft.

A Happy New Year to you.

Steven

Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009 10:02:17 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>> No! Not no, but hell no! Dry, the eraser can and will generate local
>> static charges of several thousand volts, further damaging the memory.
>> Simply exercising the memory out of the socket and back in should take
>> care of the problem if indeed that is it.
>
>You have me by 8 and 1/2 years Gene, but the actual milage for me has been
> in a race car low on oil. You are probably a few years younger than me in
> reality. I am just hoping to stay alive long enough to see my new computer
> run.

Have faith in yourself, unless you have an incurable of some sort, the man
won't call you till he needs you.

> BFG Technologies was the culprit, a broken new power supply, however
> they are terrible on their service, at least when they create the problem.
> I have been waiting a month and a half for the replacement. I regularly
> get a lot of promises from them, but no follow through. I wish they
> understood how close I am to my end if life, and how much I want my new
> computer to work.

Sometimes a little bad publicity greases the wheels. The should first and
foremost understand that their poor performance is now a matter of a
publically accessable mailing list archive, and work to prevent more such
footnotes to their history. FWIW, I recall that name very faintly, but not
the context.

>They say they are a little company only doing a few hundred million a year,
>but they are only experts at the race to starting over in their garage. I
>would never consider any of their products again. They can't see the value
> in keeping a commitment or taking responsibility for their products. I am
> sorry I went off subject there. I have to face the problem every day and
> somehow I got on that subject. I will leave it though, just in case you
> decide to purchase a power supply or video card or motherboard or any of
> the other products they peddle. They talk strong and deliver soft.
>
>A Happy New Year to you.

Likewise Steven.

--
Cheers, Gene