Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Gene Heskett

Default How to switch from gnome to kde?

Greetings;

I have the network problems worked out now, but I'm still stuck with gnome and
only one virtual screen, now on a video card I know can support 16 or more.

So how does one switch from gnome to kde, assuming enough of kde is installed
to make it work, say about 450 megs of it TBE.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
> So how does one switch from gnome to kde, assuming enough of kde is
> installed to make it work, say about 450 megs of it TBE.

I assume you could switch to KDE from the menu on the login screen... if KDE
is truely installed, there should be a menu selection for it.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> So how does one switch from gnome to kde, assuming enough of kde is
>> installed to make it work, say about 450 megs of it TBE.
>
>I assume you could switch to KDE from the menu on the login screen... if
> KDE is truely installed, there should be a menu selection for it.

There is not, and its logging into a tty screen that I have to do a startx
from to get the usual gui.

Now, I just ran synaptics again, and it says very little of kde is installed,
so I selected about 250 pkgs and fired it off again. Some of this I
recognize from having installed it at least twice before, so I'm beginnnig to
get that deer in the headlights feeling. 4 times now I have pressed the fwd
button on configuring it to use kdm as the default window manager.

Eventually I will come to the conclusion that its not worth it and go back to
a fedora install if this continues.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
> There is not, and its logging into a tty screen that I have to do a startx
> from to get the usual gui.

I think all you really have to do is to install:

kubuntu-desktop

and everything will be pulled in.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> There is not, and its logging into a tty screen that I have to do a startx
>> from to get the usual gui.
>
>I think all you really have to do is to install:
>
>kubuntu-desktop
>
>and everything will be pulled in.

That must be the one I missed. According to synaptic, this will be about the
20th time amarok will be installed. And I don't recall if that was 3.5.10
stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs. We'll see in a bit as I don't think it had to
download anything.

Thanks!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> There is not, and its logging into a tty screen that I have to do a
>>> startx from to get the usual gui.
>>
>>I think all you really have to do is to install:
>>
>>kubuntu-desktop
>>
>>and everything will be pulled in.
>
>That must be the one I missed. According to synaptic, this will be about
> the 20th time amarok will be installed. And I don't recall if that was
> 3.5.10 stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs. We'll see in a bit as I don't think it
> had to download anything.
>
>Thanks!

That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
kmail was in the menu, but won't run.

>--
>Cheers, Gene
>"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>bureaucracy, n:
> A method for transforming energy into solid waste.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Never tell a lie unless it is absolutely convenient.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
alan c

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>I think all you really have to do is to install:
>>>
>>>kubuntu-desktop
>>>
>>>and everything will be pulled in.
>>
>>That must be the one I missed. According to synaptic, this will be about
>> the 20th time amarok will be installed. And I don't recall if that was
>> 3.5.10 stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs. We'll see in a bit as I don't think it
>> had to download anything.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
> menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
> kmail was in the menu, but won't run.

Since I believe you now have the original Ubuntu (gnome) and the
recent additional package kubuntu-desktop installed, then at the login
screen you should see the expected small menu item 'Options' I think
at the lower left of the display.

Before you complete the login process, examine the
Options>session.

You should see an option for either the gnome session (previous?) and
the kde session. Choose the kde session and then complete the login
process.

This should take you into a full Kubuntu desktop, with many of the
gnome related items also available.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391

Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Karl Klinger

Gene Heskett wrote:

> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
> menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.

Just a guess, but I would try

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh kdm

Karl

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Karl Klinger

Karl Klinger wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
>> menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>
> Just a guess, but I would try
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh kdm
>
> Karl

That's with a sudo of course.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Jonathan Jesse

I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is not starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues that I may have missed earlier

>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
>> menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>
> Just a guess, but I would try
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh kdm
>
> Karl

That's with a sudo of course.