Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Pastor JW

Default How to switch from gnome to kde?

On Thursday 01 January 2009 4:10:00 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is not
> starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues that
> I may have missed earlier

Since it doesn't get to the login screen couldn't one just type kdm or gdm
directly into the terminal and see the errors which would cause it to fail?
kubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop should have pulled everything they needed
to run properly including the desktop manager for each of the modes and in
fact should have given a requester upon installation of which dm would be the
default. At least it always has during each of the installs I have done for
people.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, alan c wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>That must be the one I missed. According to synaptic, this will be about
>>> the 20th time amarok will be installed. And I don't recall if that was
>>> 3.5.10 stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs. We'll see in a bit as I don't think it
>>> had to download anything.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the
>> gnome menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>> kmail was in the menu, but won't run.
>
>Since I believe you now have the original Ubuntu (gnome) and the
>recent additional package kubuntu-desktop installed, then at the login
>screen you should see the expected small menu item 'Options' I think
>at the lower left of the display.
>
>Before you complete the login process, examine the
>Options>session.
>
>You should see an option for either the gnome session (previous?) and
>the kde session. Choose the kde session and then complete the login
>process.

As I have said a few times now, I do not have a graphical login, I am logging
on to the /dev/tty0 screen, which is using some totally funkity font with no
quote chars etc.

I shut it off for the night. Its sitting on my pool table and I don't have a
stool tall enough to see it well through my trifocals. Which leads to a neck
ache.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Karl Klinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the
>> gnome menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>
>Just a guess, but I would try
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh kdm
>
>Karl

Thank you, I'll try that in the morning.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Karl Klinger wrote:
>Karl Klinger wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the
>>> gnome menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>>
>> Just a guess, but I would try
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh kdm
>>
>> Karl
>
>That's with a sudo of course.

Or as root I take it since I have now setup a root account. From the tty1
screen? Or from a running x-gnome session?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Karl Klinger

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is not starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues that I may have missed earlier

X is not the problem since Gene said that he could get into gnome using
startx.

Karl

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is not
> starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues that
> I may have missed earlier

I did change the video card from an nvidia Vanta, to an ati 9200SE-256 this
morning, but that did not make any difference, I had no graphical login
anymore after the first reboot after the install, which was last saturday.
So that to me is a non-issue.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Let the people think they govern and they will be governed.
-- William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania

Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Pastor JW wrote:
>On Thursday 01 January 2009 4:10:00 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>> I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is
>> not starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues
>> that I may have missed earlier
>
>Since it doesn't get to the login screen couldn't one just type kdm or gdm
>directly into the terminal and see the errors which would cause it to fail?

That I hadn't tried. The too much forest & can't find the tree syndrome.
I'll do that tomorrow for grins.

Thanks.

>kubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop should have pulled everything they needed
>to run properly including the desktop manager for each of the modes and in
>fact should have given a requester upon installation of which dm would be
> the default. At least it always has during each of the installs I have
> done for people.
>

>--
>73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
>http://the-inner-circle.org

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."
--Episode #4, "Shindig"

Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
Karl Klinger

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009, Pastor JW wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 January 2009 4:10:00 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>>> I think we are missing a bigger problem.... I think you mentioned X is
>>> not starting automatically? Is that true? Are you have video card issues
>>> that I may have missed earlier
>> Since it doesn't get to the login screen couldn't one just type kdm or gdm
>> directly into the terminal and see the errors which would cause it to fail?
>
> That I hadn't tried. The too much forest & can't find the tree syndrome.
> I'll do that tomorrow for grins.

The usual way to start kdm is "/etc/init.d/kdm start". This script uses
the start-stop-daemon command to start kdm.

Karl

Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Karl Klinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it doesn't get to the login screen couldn't one just type kdm or
>>> gdm directly into the terminal and see the errors which would cause it to
>>> fail?
>>
>> That I hadn't tried. The too much forest & can't find the tree syndrome.
>> I'll do that tomorrow for grins.
>
>The usual way to start kdm is "/etc/init.d/kdm start". This script uses
>the start-stop-daemon command to start kdm.
>
>Karl

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/2 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009, Karl Klinger wrote:
>>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> That I hadn't tried. The too much forest & can't find the tree syndrome.
>>> I'll do that tomorrow for grins.
>>
>>The usual way to start kdm is "/etc/init.d/kdm start". This script uses
>>the start-stop-daemon command to start kdm.
>>
>>Karl
>
> Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow too.

And kdm is writing a log at /var/log/kdm. Not much in it for me but
perhaps it has some clues for you?

/ Jonas