Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Graham

Default Disk Utility For Kubuntu?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:45:02 +0200
Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does it do?

Disk Utility is the application which comes with Mac OSX ("Tiger") - I
don't know about other flavours of OSX- that can verify your disks
(hard drives, external drives, usb sticks, etc), repair your disks,
check the permissions of the drive, erase the drive, copy one drive or
partition to another, partition it (in a range of formats), etc.

I'm aware some of these actions can be undertaken in a rage of
applications in Linux (gparted is one) but the gui makes it easy and is
less fussy than other Linux apps I've seen.

Moreover, disks which don't show up when I've added them as mass
storage devices, have shown up when I've connected to them to my ageing
PowerMac G4, and the design of the interface is IMHO much better than
that of gparted.

Is it possible that there is a gui application for Kubuntu that gives
the same type of functionality with an improved (IMO) gui?

--

Graham Todd

Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Graham spake thusly:
> Is there an application in Kubuntu that has the same functionality as
> the Disk Utility in OSX, with the same sort of gui?
>
> The gui need not be the same, but I find Disk Utility's interface clean
> and uncluttered. Is there anything similar available in Kubuntu?

The closest thing would be QTParted.

$sudo apt-get install qtparted

Although personally I prefer GParted (however, it is a GNOME app, but
then I run both KDE and GNOME).

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Graham

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:40:56 -0700
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)" <geekboy@angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> The closest thing would be QTParted.

Thanks, Scott. I'll give that a try. GParted certainly doesn't have
an easily accessible gui as Disk Utility.

--

Graham Todd