Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Karl Klinger

Default Hidden Memubar does not drop down when I put cursor in upper left corner.

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I set configuration so that when I put the cursor in the upper left corner of
> the desktop, the menubar would drop down. It doesn't drop down anymore.

I have had this happen a couple of times. What I did was to change the
setting to only hide when a panel-hiding button is clicked. This made
the panel reappear. Then I set the panel hiding back to the way I want it.

Karl

Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Karl Klinger

> Steven Vollom wrote:
> Thanks Karl. I have looked for the place this option is located. I thought
> it was in System Settings, but I looked and did not see it. I am probably
> just overlooking it; can you point me in the right direction. Sorry for
> using so much time on this, but it sure slows down my ability to use my
> computer. Thanks for the trouble.
>
> Steven

I can't find it in System Settings either. I always use kcontrol to
change settings. In kcontrol it is in Desktop -> Panels -> Hiding tab.

Karl

p.s. A while back you were going to run memtest86+ to check your memory
(actually your computer's memory). Did you ever do that? I'm just
wondering if some of your problems might be due to bad memory.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Steven Vollom

> I can't find it in System Settings either. I always use kcontrol to
> change settings. In kcontrol it is in Desktop -> Panels -> Hiding tab.

Kcontrol didn't show up in the menu, however, when I checked using Konsole, it
was installed. I typed kcontrol in the terminal and it opened. I then
followed your instructions, but the menubar remained hidden.

> Karl
>
> p.s. A while back you were going to run memtest86+ to check your memory
> (actually your computer's memory). Did you ever do that? I'm just
> wondering if some of your problems might be due to bad memory.

I did that, however, I was interrupted by a telephone call that required the
use of my computer and had to stop after a couple of hours of check. In the
time it was checked, 4 errors appeared on the readout.

I forgot about the process and haven't restarted. I will do that again, but I
have pressing need for my computer right now and must continue working while
broken. Thanks so much for the help.

Strangely, I couldn't find the option to have the cursor placed in the upper
left corner of the screen either. The window in Kcontrol appeared basically
as I remembered when I set the configuration, however, then there was an
option to have the hidden bar working when you put the cursor at a specified
point. Like, Top, Bottom, Upper Left corner of the screen, etc. What
happened with that choice option?

Thanks!
Steven

Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I can't find it in System Settings either. I always use kcontrol to
>> change settings. In kcontrol it is in Desktop -> Panels -> Hiding tab.
>
>Kcontrol didn't show up in the menu, however, when I checked using Konsole,
> it was installed. I typed kcontrol in the terminal and it opened. I then
> followed your instructions, but the menubar remained hidden.
>
>> Karl
>>
>> p.s. A while back you were going to run memtest86+ to check your memory
>> (actually your computer's memory). Did you ever do that? I'm just
>> wondering if some of your problems might be due to bad memory.
>
>I did that, however, I was interrupted by a telephone call that required the
>use of my computer and had to stop after a couple of hours of check. In the
>time it was checked, 4 errors appeared on the readout.

And with that, I can predict that your machine will never behave itself until
that is fixed, probably with good memory. Sometimes dumpster diving might
find something usable?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Steven Vollom

> And with that, I can predict that your machine will never behave itself
> until that is fixed, probably with good memory. Sometimes dumpster diving
> might find something usable?

Does the memory have to be completely free from error to be acceptable?