-   -   Network problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/220794-network-problems.html)

Gene Heskett 01-01-2009 12:07 AM

Network problems

Greetings;

I installed mint 6 just to see what all the hoorah was about, and it works
pretty good if I was to comnpare it to windows. But compared to linux it
sucks the big one for 2 or 3 reasons. One of which I may be able to fix with
alacarte, it only installed one virtual screen! This ancient box also has an
nvidia 'Vanta' video card, which I have to assume is a $2 dollar goodwill
card with maybe 2 megs of ram.

But the bigger yet problem is the networking, which works flawlessly with
dhcp, but that is not how my little home network is setup. I have everything
in the hosts file, and in ifcg-eth0 files, all for fixed addresses on this
network. I did find the network configurer ok, and the changes I made seem
to stick, but they are not used at reboot time. So where, in what file, do I
configure the real eth0?

I also can't find anything to start/stop/restart a service such as 'network'
other than directly executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop' which does, and a
restart reports its skipping the eth0=eth0, but doesn't install my changes.
Surely this hasn't degenerated to the level of windows where any change
requires a reboot?

Since this thing is ubuntu based, I thought maybe there might be a
knowledgable person here who could help. I'm far more fam with the fedora
way of doing things.

It also seems to be stuck in gnome, even after installing around 400 megs of
kde stuffs, so thats bummer #4.

Please, and thank you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Nils Kassube 01-01-2009 08:20 AM

Network problems

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I installed mint 6 just to see what all the hoorah was about, and it
> works pretty good if I was to comnpare it to windows. But compared to
> linux it sucks the big one for 2 or 3 reasons.

Compared to which Linux? :)

> But the bigger yet problem is the networking, which works flawlessly
> with dhcp, but that is not how my little home network is setup. I have
> everything in the hosts file, and in ifcg-eth0 files, all for fixed
> addresses on this network. I did find the network configurer ok, and
> the changes I made seem to stick, but they are not used at reboot time.
> So where, in what file, do I configure the real eth0?

The configuration is in "/etc/network/interfaces", see "man interfaces"
for details.

> I also can't find anything to start/stop/restart a service such as
> 'network' other than directly executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop'
> which does, and a restart reports its skipping the eth0=eth0, but
> doesn't install my changes. Surely this hasn't degenerated to the level
> of windows where any change requires a reboot?

I don't know what Fedora has additionally to the scripts in /etc/init.d
but Suse has links /sbin/rcSCRIPTNAME -> /etc/init.d/SCRIPTNAME. If you
want to have these you can make them with these commands:

cd /etc/init.d
for s in *; do
test -x $s || continue
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/$s /sbin/rc$s
done

Many of the links are probably not usefull but with these links you could
use "rcnetworking stop" instead of "/etc/init.d/networking stop".

Nils

Gene Heskett 01-01-2009 08:46 AM

Network problems

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Nils Kassube wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I installed mint 6 just to see what all the hoorah was about, and it
>> works pretty good if I was to comnpare it to windows. But compared to
>> linux it sucks the big one for 2 or 3 reasons.
>
>Compared to which Linux? :)

Fedora 8 on this box.

>> But the bigger yet problem is the networking, which works flawlessly
>> with dhcp, but that is not how my little home network is setup. I have
>> everything in the hosts file, and in ifcg-eth0 files, all for fixed
>> addresses on this network. I did find the network configurer ok, and
>> the changes I made seem to stick, but they are not used at reboot time.
>> So where, in what file, do I configure the real eth0?
>
>The configuration is in "/etc/network/interfaces", see "man interfaces"
>for details.

I looked at that file, but too many vars were used as $name that it was
obviously being driven by another script with much more specificity, so I
didn't putz with it.

As root, I managed to get the network config gui to work, then found that
little double monitor icon in that group on the task bar to the bottom right
would apparently restart the network to effect the changes. If that holds
when I next boot it, that problem is cured.

>> I also can't find anything to start/stop/restart a service such as
>> 'network' other than directly executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop'
>> which does, and a restart reports its skipping the eth0=eth0, but
>> doesn't install my changes. Surely this hasn't degenerated to the level
>> of windows where any change requires a reboot?

See above, I found the icon.

>I don't know what Fedora has additionally to the scripts in /etc/init.d
>but Suse has links /sbin/rcSCRIPTNAME -> /etc/init.d/SCRIPTNAME. If you
>want to have these you can make them with these commands:
>
>cd /etc/init.d
>for s in *; do
> test -x $s || continue
> sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/$s /sbin/rc$s
>done

Fedora has a 'service name-of-file-in-init.d start|stop|restart|status' that
is very handy.

>Many of the links are probably not usefull but with these links you could
>use "rcnetworking stop" instead of "/etc/init.d/networking stop".
>

>Nils

I'm thinking I'll have to scrounge up an agp video card with more memory in
order to get any more virtual screens out of it, Xorg.0.log says it has only
16 megs on this one.

I have one candidate, an ati 9200SE with 256 megs, if I can get that 8x agp
card to work in that 2x agp slot, agp has its own set of compatibility issues
that make me think it was a bad show from the gitgo.

Thanks Nils, and have a Happy New Year.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Aaron Gray" 02-05-2009 07:49 PM

Network problems

Hi,
*
I have been having problems with networking on FC8,
FC9, and F10.
*
Basically if I bring the machine up with no
ethernet connected, and then physically connect ethernet, I still am unable to
get the upperlayers of*networking fuctioning. After doinga 'service network
restart', I can ping okay but HTTP and FTP are non functional.
*
I have tried right clicking on the network icon and
enabling and disabling the network, tried edit connections and entering a MAC
address, this used to work*but is no longer solving the
problem.
*
I have this problem on two machines, I tried
updating the FC9 machine to F10 but it is still showing the same
problem.
*
Help !
*
Many thanks in advance,
*
Aaron
*

Frank Cox 02-05-2009 08:31 PM

Network problems

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:49:38 +0000
Aaron Gray wrote:

> can ping okay but HTTP and FTP are non functional.

If you can ping, it's working. If you have no active network connection at
all, you won't be able to ping anything other than yourself (localhost,
127.0.0.1, etc)

Are you pinging a numeric address but attempting to use http and ftp to a
domain name? If so, you have a problem with your dns settings.

If you can ping some places but not others, then you have a routing problem.

If you can ping your internal network but nothing "outside", then you have a
gateway problem (which is also a routing problem).

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 02-05-2009 08:32 PM

Network problems

Aaron Gray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been having problems with networking on FC8, FC9, and F10.
>
> Basically if I bring the machine up with no ethernet connected, and then
> physically connect ethernet, I still am unable to get the upperlayers
> of networking fuctioning. After doinga 'service network restart', I can
> ping okay but HTTP and FTP are non functional.
>
> I have tried right clicking on the network icon and enabling and
> disabling the network, tried edit connections and entering a MAC
> address, this used to work but is no longer solving the problem.
>
> I have this problem on two machines, I tried updating the FC9 machine to
> F10 but it is still showing the same problem.
>
> Help !
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron

Dumb question - are you using NetworkManager or network service to
control networking?

What happens if you use "ifup interface" instead of restarting the
network service?

Are you using DHCP or a static IP address?

Can you ping by hostname, or only by IP address? If only by IP
address, does /etc/resolv.conf point to a valid name server?

Mikkel

Todd Denniston 02-05-2009 08:44 PM

Network problems

Aaron Gray wrote:

can ping okay but HTTP and FTP are non functional.

If you can ping, it's working. If you have no active network connection at
all, you won't be able to ping anything other than yourself (localhost,
127.0.0.1, etc)

Are you pinging a numeric address but attempting to use http and ftp to a
domain name? If so, you have a problem with your dns settings.

if pinging with a name and http/ftp with a name, then it _could_ be your ISP
requires you to use their proxy, but does not transparently re-route your
packets. :)

If you can ping some places but not others, then you have a routing problem.

If you can ping your internal network but nothing "outside", then you have a
gateway problem (which is also a routing problem).

--
Todd Denniston

"Aaron Gray" 02-05-2009 09:01 PM

Network problems

From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>

Dumb question - are you using NetworkManager or network service to
control networking?

What happens if you use "ifup interface" instead of restarting the
network service?

After a ifup eth0 FF seems to be working now but the network icon is still
showing a red and white cross.

Thanks,

Aaron

"Aaron Gray" 02-05-2009 09:23 PM

Network problems

Sorry about this I forgot to set the DNA server addresses !

Aaron

Bill Stanley 12-21-2010 05:36 PM

Network problems

Hi,

I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
home network. The particulars.

1. The two computers are both running Unbuntu Linux.
a. One computer is running Unbuntu 10.10 - 64 bit version.
b. the other computer is running Unbuntu 10.04 - 32 bit version

2. I have full Internet connectivity with both computers I just can't
share the files between the two computers.

I tried using ping and I can get a ping reply one way but not the other
way. I suspect that the firewall on one computer might be getting in
the way but I don't know enough yet to know where to look. I have
installed the gufw 10.04.5 firewall and maybe I have two firewalls
running? How do I check? By the way, this is the computer that does
not reply to a ping request from the other computer. It can send a ping
request and receive a reply from the other computer.

When I try to access a file I get the following.

1. On both computers I have activated the folder share option.
(temporarily, I only allow access to the documents folder on both
computers.)
2. On one computer (the one that responds to a ping) I get an error
saying that the other computer has not sent a file share list. This is
not too suprising since the other computer does not respond to a ping as
well.
3. On the other computer, I get nothing when trying to access the home
network.

There is a third computer running Windows but this one has not been run
for quite a while (The windoze computer is rather old and unused) If I
get the present problem sorted out, I would also like to access files
with the Windoze computer. I know I need Samba for this and have
already installed Samba on both Unbuntu computers. Maybe this is
getting in the way?

As always, I will be glad to supply any additional information that is
needed. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.