Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Tom H

Default Network problems

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 12:21 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> I don't see any samba ports in your output above. Are you sure that
>> you have samba running? How did you set up the shares?
>>
>> For nfs, you must have it installed. To export a directory, you have
>> to edit "/etc/exports".
>
> I think you misunderstand my problem. If I understand samba correctly,
> it is for connection a windows machine to a Linux machine. I can't get
> two Linux machines (both running Unbuntu) to communicate. If I am
> right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed.

Samba can connect any two boxes that have an smb client and an smb
server whether Windows, Linux, BSD, OS X, Solaris, ...

ubuntu-desktop depends on smbclient, so any Ubuntu desktop box is/can
be a samba client in a default Ubuntu desktop install.

When you're pinging or using samba are you using hostnames or ip addresses?

On your presumed samba server, do you have samba installed and running?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
>>> if no rules are set it "doesn't work". Gufw is just a graphic
>>> interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. [ ]
>>
>> For the sake of future googlers: it isn't that the firewall doesn't
>> work on a default Ubuntu install, it's that there are no rules loaded;
>> gufw is a graphical front-end of ufw, which is itself a front-end
>> (with rule syntax similar to one of the BSDs) to iptables.
>
> I'm sure future googlers will be able to read the entire paragraph and
> also grab the meaning of " " in a sentence.

There's a difference between "hadn't been configured" and "doesn't
work" whether in the firewall case above or, following your rationale,
in saying (for example) that "network manager doesn't work" if you
haven't set up a network connection.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Colin Law

On 21 December 2010 18:36, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
> home network. *The particulars.

Are you able to successfully access the router from both PCs? Usually
the router admin page is accessible from a browser as
http://192.168.1.1 or a similar number. If you can access that then
are you able to access the internet ok from each machine? If one of
those does not work it may enable you to narrow down the problem.

Colin

Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Bill Stanley

On 12/25/2010 04:00 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>>

>> This is a real interesting (puzzling) problem! I can send and receive
>> pings from one machine but not the other. Also, I installed samba and I
>> looked at the samba logs of both computers.
>>
>> 1. It seems that there is **SOME** communications happening but not
>> enough to make a connection. Although I didn't give the computer name
>> of the other computer to either computer, I can see in the logs the name
>> of the other computer. This wouldn't happen if there was no
>> communications.
>>
>> 2. The computer that accepts and gives pings tries to open samba file
>> sharing but gets nothing back. It then gives an error message that it
>> hasn't received a share list from the other computer. On both computers
>> I am sharing the documents directory. Does one computer have to be
>> running server software or are equal peers acceptable?
>>
>> 3. On the sharing program (shares-admin) I can't get any other opition
>> other than Unix network nfs when I investigate the properties of the
>> documents folder. Maybe this is the problem? By the way, the
>> shares-admin program is really a poor program. Is there a better one
>> out there. Either that or what file needs to be manually edited?
>>
>> 4. I now wonder if the ping problem is really the cause of the network
>> problems. Maybe they are two separate but related problems.
>>
>> I know that this might be too much information but in my experience
>> sometimes a minor detail gets us on the right track. Thanks for the
>> help even if the problem isn't yet solved.
>
> Bill,
>
> Sometimes Samba can perform weirdly. The network is there, but only
> reachable if you use the IPs of the connections, like
> smb//:192.168.0.99/ - otherwise you receive a "Unable to mount
> location" message.
>
> I think you should stick to the ping stuff that seems to point the
> underlying problem.
>
> Check the ping man page at:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man8/ping.8.html for
> useful parameters and information on errors.
>
> Also consider the possibility of hardware fault, either cable or lan
> board (circuit). If you have one available, try to install an extra
> lan board on the faulty unit to check if you still face the same
> condition.

There is the possibility of a hardware problem but wouldn't there be
other problems? Other than connections from the two computers, I have
encountered no other problems. I can access the Internet (without any
hint of problems) from both computers. Nonetheless, I will try using
different cabling and router ports to see if that makes any difference.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Bill Stanley

On 12/25/2010 08:46 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>> On 12/23/2010 12:21 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see any samba ports in your output above. Are you sure that
>>> you have samba running? How did you set up the shares?
>>>
>>> For nfs, you must have it installed. To export a directory, you have
>>> to edit "/etc/exports".
>>
>> I think you misunderstand my problem. If I understand samba correctly,
>> it is for connection a windows machine to a Linux machine. I can't get
>> two Linux machines (both running Unbuntu) to communicate. If I am
>> right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed.
>
> Samba can connect any two boxes that have an smb client and an smb
> server whether Windows, Linux, BSD, OS X, Solaris, ...
>
> ubuntu-desktop depends on smbclient, so any Ubuntu desktop box is/can
> be a samba client in a default Ubuntu desktop install.
>
> When you're pinging or using samba are you using hostnames or ip addresses?
>
> On your presumed samba server, do you have samba installed and running?

I ping using the ip4 address. By the way, the host name on one of the
computers is rather awkward to type in. When I was installing Unbuntu,
I wasn't careful and the host name is not good. It has been a long time
since I needed to change a host name and forgot the command to use.

To answer your second question... I am not sure that I have samba
server software installed. I do know that I have samba client software
installed on both computers. Do I need to install separate samba
software and does it have to be installed on both machines.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

> There is the possibility of a hardware problem but wouldn't there be
> other problems? *Other than connections from the two computers, I have
> encountered no other problems. *I can access the Internet (without any
> hint of problems) from both computers. *Nonetheless, I will try using
> different cabling and router ports to see if that makes any difference.

By the way, are you pinging the IP address or the workstation hostname?

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Bill Stanley

On 12/25/2010 10:10 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is the possibility of a hardware problem but wouldn't there be
>> other problems? Other than connections from the two computers, I have
>> encountered no other problems. I can access the Internet (without any
>> hint of problems) from both computers. Nonetheless, I will try using
>> different cabling and router ports to see if that makes any difference.
>
> By the way, are you pinging the IP address or the workstation hostname?

Both the ip address and the hostname.

PS. I haven't yet investigated if it is a hardware problem.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Bill Stanley

On 12/25/2010 10:10 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is the possibility of a hardware problem but wouldn't there be
>> other problems? Other than connections from the two computers, I have
>> encountered no other problems. I can access the Internet (without any
>> hint of problems) from both computers. Nonetheless, I will try using
>> different cabling and router ports to see if that makes any difference.
>
> By the way, are you pinging the IP address or the workstation hostname?

OK, I the madness of the holiday is over and I can concentrate on this
problem...

To restate what I have said before...

Computer 1 is a Dell Studio-XPS 64 bit, i7 processor with 8 GByte of
RAM. It is running Unbuntu 10.10 (Maverick Merecat) 64 bit version.
The desktop version was installed and it was first installed 6 months ago.

Computer 2 is quite old and is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4
processor and 4 Gbyte of RAM. (Although is is quite old it still is
useful.) This is the computer with the problem,

The network hardware:
I switched the cable ports on the router and switched the Ethernet cable
for computer two to a new cable that I am sure is good. result, no
change. If there is a hardware problem, it would be in the computer
itself. since I can access the Internet without any problems. To sum
up, I doubt it is a hardware problem.

The ping problem:
When I use computer two to ping computer one I get some strange results.
If I specify computer one using its ip address (192.168.1.100) I fet a
ping back with an average time of 0.27 ms. If I specify the computers
name (aragorn), sending a ping yields a time of 35.66 ms, It's
suprising that it would be this much slower. Maybe if I specify the
name, it is actually pinging some other computer (computer one has a
common name). Sending a ping from computer one to computer two yields
nothing both for the ip-address (192.168.1.101) and the computers name.

The file sharing:
I can't get a usable connection, On looking at the /etc/samba log files
I can see that there is some indication that a connection was attempted
but the attempt failed. On both computers, the documents folder is
shared but the shares-admin program allows only sharing via Unix-nfsm,
there ore no other choices even though there should samba listed (I
think). Frankly, I don't think shares-admin is very good.

Using the Places/network desktop menu item on computer one the following
are the results.
1. When I attempt to open a Windows network connection (NFS unix is not
one of the choices)
2. When I open the windows network icon, I see nothing. This is
interesting because yesterday, I could see the name of my home network.
In this respect, I have taken a step backwards, I used to get an error
message saying that the shares list was not sent. The same situation is
seen when I try to use computer rwo to connect to computer one.

I hesitate to add the ancient (12 years old) computer to the mix. Both
computers dual boot and I can boot on computer one to Windows 7,
Open-Suse or Unbuntu, I almost exclusively use Unbuntu and I keep Win7
around just because it came pre-installed with it. Computer two can
boot to Windows XP (Service pack 2) or Unbuntu. I might try to
establish a network connection when computer two is booted to Win-XP.
If I can get a connection,I can at least rule out hardware problems.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Colin Law

On 26 December 2010 01:55, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> To answer your second question... *I am not sure that I have samba
> server software installed. *I do know that I have samba client software
> installed on both computers. Do I need to install separate samba
> software and does it have to be installed on both machines.

You need smbfs installed on the machine that contains the shared
folder. Or both machines if both serve up files for the other.
sudo apt-get install smbfs

Colin

Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On 12/26/2010 07:15 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> The ping problem:
> When I use computer two to ping computer one I get some strange results.
> If I specify computer one using its ip address (192.168.1.100) I fet a
> ping back with an average time of 0.27 ms. If I specify the computers
> name (aragorn), sending a ping yields a time of 35.66 ms, It's
> suprising that it would be this much slower. Maybe if I specify the
> name, it is actually pinging some other computer (computer one has a
> common name). Sending a ping from computer one to computer two yields
> nothing both for the ip-address (192.168.1.101) and the computers name.
>
> The file sharing:
> I can't get a usable connection, On looking at the /etc/samba log files
> I can see that there is some indication that a connection was attempted
> but the attempt failed. On both computers, the documents folder is
> shared but the shares-admin program allows only sharing via Unix-nfsm,
> there ore no other choices even though there should samba listed (I
> think). Frankly, I don't think shares-admin is very good.
>

> Using the Places/network desktop menu item on computer one the following
> are the results.
> 1. When I attempt to open a Windows network connection (NFS unix is not
> one of the choices)
> 2. When I open the windows network icon, I see nothing. This is
> interesting because yesterday, I could see the name of my home network.
> In this respect, I have taken a step backwards, I used to get an error
> message saying that the shares list was not sent. The same situation is
> seen when I try to use computer rwo to connect to computer one.
>
> I hesitate to add the ancient (12 years old) computer to the mix. Both
> computers dual boot and I can boot on computer one to Windows 7,
> Open-Suse or Unbuntu, I almost exclusively use Unbuntu and I keep Win7
> around just because it came pre-installed with it. Computer two can
> boot to Windows XP (Service pack 2) or Unbuntu. I might try to
> establish a network connection when computer two is booted to Win-XP.
> If I can get a connection,I can at least rule out hardware problems.

What does it happen when you ping an external address with computer 2,
both IP and Hostname, say www."someplace".com
(http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.cgi may help you to do this)? Would you
observe the same latency discrepancies?

Why hesitate? It would be nice to check the behavior of this "ancient"
computer regarding pings.

Wouldn't you have a spare lan board to test with the faulty PC?

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/