Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Default Network problems

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
> home network. *The particulars.
>
> 1. *The two computers are both running Unbuntu Linux.
> * a. *One computer is running Unbuntu 10.10 - 64 bit version.
> * b. the other computer is running Unbuntu 10.04 - 32 bit version
>
> 2. I have full Internet connectivity with both computers I just can't
> share the files between the two computers.
>
> I tried using ping and I can get a ping reply one way but not the other
> way. *I suspect that the firewall on one computer might be getting in
> the way but I don't know enough yet to know where to look. *I have
> installed the gufw 10.04.5 firewall and maybe I have two firewalls
> running? *How do I check? *By the way, this is the computer that does
> not reply to a ping request from the other computer. *It can send a ping
> request and receive a reply from the other computer.
>
> When I try to access a file I get the following.
>
> 1. *On both computers I have activated the folder share option.
> (temporarily, I only allow access to the documents folder on both
> computers.)
> 2. *On one computer (the one that responds to a ping) I get an error
> saying that the other computer has not sent a file share list. *This is
> not too suprising since the other computer does not respond to a ping as
> well.
> 3. On the other computer, I get nothing when trying to access the home
> network.
>
> There is a third computer running Windows but this one has not been run
> for quite a while *(The windoze computer is rather old and unused) *If I
> get the present problem sorted out, I would also like to access files
> with the Windoze computer. *I know I need Samba for this and have
> already installed Samba on both Unbuntu computers. *Maybe this is
> getting in the way?
>
> As always, I will be glad to supply any additional information that is
> needed. *Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

One easy way to check if firewalls are blocking remote access is
disabling both and trying to ping again.

I guess that a single firewall would do, depending on how internet is
accessed and the physical layout of the local net.

I don't believe that Samba can be responsible for this pinging trouble.

The command "sshfs" is useful to mount remote folders in a linux
environment. You should check "man sshfs".

example:

Mount

sshfs -o idmap=user -C (remote user)@(ip adress)remote
folder) (empty local folder)

sshfs -o idmap=user -C bill@192.168.0.99:/home/bill/
/home/bill/remote

Unmount:

fusermount -u /home/bill/remote

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Bill Stanley

On 12/22/2010 12:08 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
>> home network. The particulars.
>>
>> 1. The two computers are both running Unbuntu Linux.
>> a. One computer is running Unbuntu 10.10 - 64 bit version.
>> b. the other computer is running Unbuntu 10.04 - 32 bit version
>>
>> 2. I have full Internet connectivity with both computers I just can't
>> share the files between the two computers.
>>
>> I tried using ping and I can get a ping reply one way but not the other
>> way. I suspect that the firewall on one computer might be getting in
>> the way but I don't know enough yet to know where to look. I have
>> installed the gufw 10.04.5 firewall and maybe I have two firewalls
>> running? How do I check? By the way, this is the computer that does
>> not reply to a ping request from the other computer. It can send a ping
>> request and receive a reply from the other computer.
>>
>> When I try to access a file I get the following.
>>
>> 1. On both computers I have activated the folder share option.
>> (temporarily, I only allow access to the documents folder on both
>> computers.)
>> 2. On one computer (the one that responds to a ping) I get an error
>> saying that the other computer has not sent a file share list. This is
>> not too suprising since the other computer does not respond to a ping as
>> well.
>> 3. On the other computer, I get nothing when trying to access the home
>> network.
>>
>> There is a third computer running Windows but this one has not been run
>> for quite a while (The windoze computer is rather old and unused) If I
>> get the present problem sorted out, I would also like to access files
>> with the Windoze computer. I know I need Samba for this and have
>> already installed Samba on both Unbuntu computers. Maybe this is
>> getting in the way?
>>
>> As always, I will be glad to supply any additional information that is
>> needed. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
>

> One easy way to check if firewalls are blocking remote access is
> disabling both and trying to ping again.
>
> I guess that a single firewall would do, depending on how internet is
> accessed and the physical layout of the local net.
>
> I don't believe that Samba can be responsible for this pinging trouble.
>
> The command "sshfs" is useful to mount remote folders in a linux
> environment. You should check "man sshfs".
>
> example:
>
> Mount
>
> sshfs -o idmap=user -C (remote user)@(ip adress)remote
> folder) (empty local folder)
>
> sshfs -o idmap=user -C bill@192.168.0.99:/home/bill/
> /home/bill/remote
>
> Unmount:
>
> fusermount -u /home/bill/remote
>

> Lucio

Thanks for the reply...

I'm not certain if I am running two firewalls. I assume I am because I
know I installed the gufw firewall on the computer that doesn't respond
to a ping. I assume that Unbuntu installs a firewall by default. If
so what is its name because I don't see any evidence of it. This is the
first firewall I assume I have. If there isn't one, then I have gufw only.

The strange thing is that I use the unaffected computer to do a port
scan (using the system/administration/network tools) and can get some
output back from the affected computer.

The output of the port scan (from the unaffected computer) is...

PORT STATE SERVICE
111 open sunprc
2049 open nfs
40837 open unknown
45314 open unknown
50038 open unknown

When I do a port scan from the affected computer (of its port status i
get...

Port State service
111 open sunprc
2049 open nfs
40837 open unknown
45314 open unknown
50038 open unknown
52826 open unknown

I am somewhat concerned about the open ports with an unknown service.
Is there any way to get more information about those services?
Although Linux has much fewer viruses than Windoze, I don't have any
illusions that they exist. Although I am very careful about security,
maybe one escaped my notice. (I hope not.)

I notice that the unaffected computer can see the nfs service running on
the affected computer. If I can see the nfs service running, what must
be done to share files using the nfs service.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

[snips]

> Thanks for the reply...
>
> I'm not certain if I am running two firewalls. *I assume I am because I
> know I installed the gufw firewall on the computer that doesn't respond
> to a ping. * I assume that Unbuntu installs a firewall by default. *If
> so what is its name because I don't see any evidence of it. *This is the
> first firewall I assume I have. *If there isn't one, then I have gufw only.
>
> *The strange thing is that I use the unaffected computer to do a port
> scan (using the system/administration/network tools) and can get some
> output back from the affected computer.
>
> The output of the port scan (from the unaffected computer) is...
>
> PORT *STATE *SERVICE
> 111 * open * sunprc
> 2049 *open * nfs
> 40837 open * unknown
> 45314 open * unknown
> 50038 open * unknown
>
> When I do a port scan from the affected computer (of its port status i
> get...
>
> Port * State * service
> 111 * *open * *sunprc
> 2049 * open * *nfs
> 40837 *open * *unknown
> 45314 *open * *unknown
> 50038 *open * *unknown
> 52826 *open * *unknown
>
> I am somewhat concerned about the open ports with an unknown service.
> Is there any way to get more information about those services?
> Although Linux has much fewer viruses than Windoze, I don't have any
> illusions that they exist. *Although I am very careful about security,
> maybe one escaped my notice. *(I hope not.)
>
> I notice that the unaffected computer can see the nfs service running on
> the affected computer. *If I can see the nfs service running, what must
> be done to share files using the nfs service.

Bill,

Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
if no rules are set it "doesn't work". Gufw is just a graphic
interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. I don't
have Gufw installed right now and I can't remember if it can disable
ping requests, (anyway, yours is probably unconfigured) like some DSL
routers can do.

Perhaps you could install ssh on both computers and check if a an ssh
connection is possible.

Some resident programs like f.i. Ubuntu One and Skype, open ports like
those you observed, and I guess this is pretty standard, no serious
security concerns needed.

I guess that, in linux, most viri and malware need your close
involvement and specific permission to get installed. But it is just
my guess.

Lucio

Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not certain if I am running two firewalls. *I assume I am because I
>> know I installed the gufw firewall on the computer that doesn't respond
>> to a ping. * I assume that Unbuntu installs a firewall by default. *If
>> so what is its name because I don't see any evidence of it. *This is the
>> first firewall I assume I have. *If there isn't one, then I have gufw only.
>>
>> *The strange thing is that I use the unaffected computer to do a port
>> scan (using the system/administration/network tools) and can get some
>> output back from the affected computer.
>>
>> The output of the port scan (from the unaffected computer) is...
>>
>> PORT *STATE *SERVICE
>> 111 * open * sunprc
>> 2049 *open * nfs
>> 40837 open * unknown
>> 45314 open * unknown
>> 50038 open * unknown
>>
>> When I do a port scan from the affected computer (of its port status i
>> get...
>>
>> Port * State * service
>> 111 * *open * *sunprc
>> 2049 * open * *nfs
>> 40837 *open * *unknown
>> 45314 *open * *unknown
>> 50038 *open * *unknown
>> 52826 *open * *unknown
>>
>> I am somewhat concerned about the open ports with an unknown service.
>> Is there any way to get more information about those services?
>>
>> I notice that the unaffected computer can see the nfs service running on
>> the affected computer. *If I can see the nfs service running, what must
>> be done to share files using the nfs service.
>
> Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
> if no rules are set it "doesn't work". Gufw is just a graphic
> interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. I don't
> have Gufw installed right now and I can't remember if it can disable
> ping requests, (anyway, yours is probably unconfigured) like some DSL
> routers can do.

For the sake of future googlers: it isn't that the firewall doesn't
work on a default Ubuntu install, it's that there are no rules loaded;
gufw is a graphical front-end of ufw, which is itself a front-end
(with rule syntax similar to one of the BSDs) to iptables.

So having both ufw and gufw doesn't mean that you have two firewalls
installed and if you don't enable ufw (through the CLI or GUI) or
write or load some rules with iptables you won't have a firewall
running.

I don't see any samba ports in your output above. Are you sure that
you have samba running? How did you set up the shares?

For nfs, you must have it installed. To export a directory, you have
to edit "/etc/exports".

Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Bill Stanley

On 12/23/2010 12:21 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi<lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not certain if I am running two firewalls. I assume I am because I
>>> know I installed the gufw firewall on the computer that doesn't respond
>>> to a ping. I assume that Unbuntu installs a firewall by default. If
>>> so what is its name because I don't see any evidence of it. This is the
>>> first firewall I assume I have. If there isn't one, then I have gufw only.
>>>
>>> The strange thing is that I use the unaffected computer to do a port
>>> scan (using the system/administration/network tools) and can get some
>>> output back from the affected computer.
>>>
>>> The output of the port scan (from the unaffected computer) is...
>>>
>>> PORT STATE SERVICE
>>> 111 open sunprc
>>> 2049 open nfs
>>> 40837 open unknown
>>> 45314 open unknown
>>> 50038 open unknown
>>>
>>> When I do a port scan from the affected computer (of its port status i
>>> get...
>>>
>>> Port State service
>>> 111 open sunprc
>>> 2049 open nfs
>>> 40837 open unknown
>>> 45314 open unknown
>>> 50038 open unknown
>>> 52826 open unknown
>>>
>>> I am somewhat concerned about the open ports with an unknown service.
>>> Is there any way to get more information about those services?
>>>
>>> I notice that the unaffected computer can see the nfs service running on
>>> the affected computer. If I can see the nfs service running, what must
>>> be done to share files using the nfs service.
>>
>> Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
>> if no rules are set it "doesn't work". Gufw is just a graphic
>> interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. I don't
>> have Gufw installed right now and I can't remember if it can disable
>> ping requests, (anyway, yours is probably unconfigured) like some DSL
>> routers can do.
>
> For the sake of future googlers: it isn't that the firewall doesn't
> work on a default Ubuntu install, it's that there are no rules loaded;
> gufw is a graphical front-end of ufw, which is itself a front-end
> (with rule syntax similar to one of the BSDs) to iptables.
>
> So having both ufw and gufw doesn't mean that you have two firewalls
> installed and if you don't enable ufw (through the CLI or GUI) or
> write or load some rules with iptables you won't have a firewall
> running.
>
> I don't see any samba ports in your output above. Are you sure that
> you have samba running? How did you set up the shares?
>
> For nfs, you must have it installed. To export a directory, you have
> to edit "/etc/exports".

I think you misunderstand my problem. If I understand samba correctly,
it is for connection a windows machine to a Linux machine. I can't get
two Linux machines (both running Unbuntu) to communicate. If I am
right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed. After I get the two to
communicate I will attempt to add my third computer which is a Windows
machine. Of course to do that samba will be needed but for the moment
it should not be needed.

The problem might not be a firewall problem. Then again, I really don't
know which is why I am asking for help.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Colin Law

On 24 December 2010 04:03, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I think you misunderstand my problem. *If I understand samba correctly,
> it is for connection a windows machine to a Linux machine. *I can't get
> two Linux machines (both running Unbuntu) to communicate. *If I am
> right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed. *After I get the two to
> communicate I will attempt to add my third computer which is a Windows
> machine. *Of course to do that samba will be needed but for the moment
> it should not be needed.

Samba can equally well be used between Linux machines, and in my
experience samba has been easier to setup. In particular if you will
eventually need samba for the Win machine then just use that for all.

Colin

Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Although Ubuntu comes loaded with iptables, the core of any firewall,
>> if no rules are set it "doesn't work". Gufw is just a graphic
>> interface to iptables that enables easy handling of rules. [ ]
>
> For the sake of future googlers: it isn't that the firewall doesn't
> work on a default Ubuntu install, it's that there are no rules loaded;
> gufw is a graphical front-end of ufw, which is itself a front-end
> (with rule syntax similar to one of the BSDs) to iptables.

I'm sure future googlers will be able to read the entire paragraph and
also grab the meaning of " " in a sentence.

Anyway, the year is ending, Summer Sosltice has just passed, soon it
will feel incredibly hot and it is time to celebrate, not to rant...
Happy Hollydays...

L.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

(I understand that your problem is

[ ]
>*I can't get two Linux machines (both running Ubuntu) to communicate.

[ ]

> If I am right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed.

I don't think so, if you can ping both machines you can mount remote
folders, no nfs (or Samba) needed.

What I can't understand is how you can check the open ports across the
machines but not ping them?

Lucio

Old 12-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Bill Stanley

On 12/24/2010 10:30 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>
> (I understand that your problem is
>
> [ ]
>> I can't get two Linux machines (both running Ubuntu) to communicate.
>
> [ ]
>
>> If I am right, samba is not needed but nfs is needed.
>
> I don't think so, if you can ping both machines you can mount remote
> folders, no nfs (or Samba) needed.
>
> What I can't understand is how you can check the open ports across the
> machines but not ping them?
>
> Lucio

This is a real interesting (puzzling) problem! I can send and receive
pings from one machine but not the other. Also, I installed samba and I
looked at the samba logs of both computers.

1. It seems that there is **SOME** communications happening but not
enough to make a connection. Although I didn't give the computer name
of the other computer to either computer, I can see in the logs the name
of the other computer. This wouldn't happen if there was no
communications.

2. The computer that accepts and gives pings tries to open samba file
sharing but gets nothing back. It then gives an error message that it
hasn't received a share list from the other computer. On both computers
I am sharing the documents directory. Does one computer have to be
running server software or are equal peers acceptable?

3. On the sharing program (shares-admin) I can't get any other opition
other than Unix network nfs when I investigate the properties of the
documents folder. Maybe this is the problem? By the way, the
shares-admin program is really a poor program. Is there a better one
out there. Either that or what file needs to be manually edited?

4. I now wonder if the ping problem is really the cause of the network
problems. Maybe they are two separate but related problems.

I know that this might be too much information but in my experience
sometimes a minor detail gets us on the right track. Thanks for the
help even if the problem isn't yet solved.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

> This is a real interesting (puzzling) problem! *I can send and receive
> pings from one machine but not the other. *Also, I installed samba and I
> looked at the samba logs of both computers.
>
> 1. It seems that there is **SOME** communications happening but not
> enough to make a connection. * Although I didn't give the computer name
> of the other computer to either computer, I can see in the logs the name
> of the other computer. *This wouldn't happen if there was no
> communications.
>
> 2. The computer that accepts and gives pings tries to open samba file
> sharing but gets nothing back. *It then gives an error message that it
> hasn't received a share list from the other computer. *On both computers
> I am sharing the documents directory. *Does one computer have to be
> running server software or are equal peers acceptable?
>
> 3. *On the sharing program (shares-admin) I can't get any other opition
> other than Unix network nfs when I investigate the properties of the
> documents folder. *Maybe this is the problem? *By the way, the
> shares-admin program is really a poor program. *Is there a better one
> out there. *Either that or what file needs to be manually edited?
>
> 4. I now wonder if the ping problem is really the cause of the network
> problems. *Maybe they are two separate but related problems.
>
> I know that this might be too much information but in my experience
> sometimes a minor detail gets us on the right track. *Thanks for the
> help even if the problem isn't yet solved.

Bill,

Sometimes Samba can perform weirdly. The network is there, but only
reachable if you use the IPs of the connections, like
smb//:192.168.0.99/ - otherwise you receive a "Unable to mount
location" message.

I think you should stick to the ping stuff that seems to point the
underlying problem.

Check the ping man page at:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man8/ping.8.html for
useful parameters and information on errors.

Also consider the possibility of hardware fault, either cable or lan
board (circuit). If you have one available, try to install an extra
lan board on the faulty unit to check if you still face the same
condition.

Regards,

Lucio