Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default missing keyboard shortcut in mc

It would appear that on Dec 28, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> But when I installed kubuntu 8.10 and discovered that the
> I compared the version strings from mc's initial <F1> help screen
> between both intrepid, and sabayon 3.5... Only to discover that both
> were in fact the same version { mc 4.6.2-pre1 } But the two shortcuts
> work on sabayon and NOT on kubuntu??????

It just came to my attention that this may be a kde konsole related.
Because if I use mc from one of the 6 virtual consoles ( tty[1-6] )
the shortcuts work in intrepid. It's only when I'm running from a
konsole under kde that these shortcuts fail...

But I still think it's a kubuntu issue (not KDE) because these shortcut's
work in my other linux distributions. And while intrepid is my only KDE 4
based linux, I'm getting the same pattern with kubuntu 8.4 where the
shortcuts work in mc under the virtual consoles, But NOT in a Konsole
under kde 3.5.9...

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 00:54 -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> It would appear that on Dec 28, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:
>
> > But when I installed kubuntu 8.10 and discovered that the
> > I compared the version strings from mc's initial <F1> help screen
> > between both intrepid, and sabayon 3.5... Only to discover that both
> > were in fact the same version { mc 4.6.2-pre1 } But the two shortcuts
> > work on sabayon and NOT on kubuntu??????
>
> It just came to my attention that this may be a kde konsole related.
> Because if I use mc from one of the 6 virtual consoles ( tty[1-6] )
> the shortcuts work in intrepid. It's only when I'm running from a
> konsole under kde that these shortcuts fail...
>
> But I still think it's a kubuntu issue (not KDE) because these shortcut's
> work in my other linux distributions. And while intrepid is my only KDE 4
> based linux, I'm getting the same pattern with kubuntu 8.4 where the
> shortcuts work in mc under the virtual consoles, But NOT in a Konsole
> under kde 3.5.9...

I'll toss this in for your considerations. I kept having problems with
Evolution allowing me to click on a url embedded within an email and it
not being passed to Firefox. I beat my brains out using the setup for
KDE, and sure enough, I had selected Firefox as my default application.
Yes, this is using Kubunto 8.04 and KDE3x. But, what I found was that
gnome was mixed in there, either during the install process or by some
added application that drug gnome in with it. I found that gconf was
more in charge of some processes than was KDE. Beats me, I'm am far from
being a Guru of any sorts.

So, I called up gconf-editor and found all sorts of goodies that it
would influence. I found html being directed to Konquerer. Funny that it
never opened when I clicked on URLs. My point is that something like
gconf may be at the heart of your problem. Once I edited it to Firefox,
everything works. I haven't installed Intrepid yet, so I have NO CLUE if
this applies. But, it may be something to examine. Good luck and Happy
New Years! Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Dec 31, Ric Moore did say:

> I'll toss this in for your considerations. I kept having problems with
> Evolution allowing me to click on a url embedded within an email and it
> not being passed to Firefox. I beat my brains out using the setup for
> KDE, and sure enough, I had selected Firefox as my default application.
> Yes, this is using Kubunto 8.04 and KDE3x. But, what I found was that
> gnome was mixed in there, either during the install process or by some
> added application that drug gnome in with it. I found that gconf was
> more in charge of some processes than was KDE. Beats me, I'm am far from
> being a Guru of any sorts.

Well you may not be a guru Ric, But you thought of something I hadn't
considered. Especially since I do install gnucash there would be some
gnome components on my kubuntu systems.

> So, I called up gconf-editor and found all sorts of goodies that it
> would influence. I found html being directed to Konquerer. Funny that it
> never opened when I clicked on URLs. My point is that something like
> gconf may be at the heart of your problem. Once I edited it to Firefox,
> everything works. I haven't installed Intrepid yet, so I have NO CLUE if
> this applies. But, it may be something to examine. Good luck and Happy
> New Years! Ric

But it doesn't seam that gconf-editor is one of them. If I enter it in a
konsole (intrepid) I get:

-> The program 'gconf-editor' is currently not installed. You can install
-> it by typing:
-> sudo apt-get install gconf-editor
-> bash: gconf-editor: command not found

And when I poked around inside the directories ~/.gconf, & /etc/gconf
I couldn't find much stuff in there.

But I thank you for responding. You have at least helped me to
eliminate one possible source of the problem.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jan 23, Constantinos Maltezos did say:

> On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:48:21 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> > Well intrepid uses kde4 which has moved away from using the xorg.conf
> > file... - - - - - - -<snip>- - - - - - - As far as intrepid goes
> > the best I know how to do this is to attach a snapshot of the Regional
> > & Language - System Settings >Keyboard Layout...
> >
> > Or that is I would if kubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com didn't say:
> >
> > => Message body is too big: 178723 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
> >
> > So instead I offer a link that should point to the image file for at
> > least the next month or so...
> >
> > https://home.comcast.net/~jtwdyp/fileShuttle/IntrepidKeyboard.png
>
> I see that you have keyboard layouts disabled. I'm very sure you've tried
> this, but I'll ask anyway: have you tried enabling them? Don't add anything
> and take the check mark off of the flag icon thing, but if you haven't tried
> it, it might be worth it.

I tried enabling the keyboard layouts... No such luck. Still it was
worth the try.