Old 12-29-2008, 02:44 PM
"Bas Roufs"

Default How to SAVE new instructions added to the Firefox user preferences file?

With respect to your reaction...

> Why don't you read the big comment at the top of the file?
>
> /* Do not edit this file.

I have seen this too, but this does not solve the problem. I need to
change the file anyway.

> *
> * If you make changes to this file while the application is running,
> * the changes will be overwritten when the application exits.

This is obvious.
But even if bring in the changes in the file AFTER closing Firefox,
Firefox seemingly overwrites those changes.

> *
> * To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL
> about:config
> * For more information, see
> http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
> */

I did visit that website, however, I did not find there the answer to
my question.

Bas.

--
===============
Viaconsensus

Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
"Bas Roufs"

> The instructions say to paste the lines into user.js, not prefs.js.

The instructions you refer to do indeed only refer to 'user.js'.
However, 'prefs.js' is simply another name for 'user.js', according to
the last alinea of this page:
http://www.gemal.dk/mozilla/profile.html
Respectfully yours,
Bas.

--
===============
Viaconsensus

Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
"John DeCarlo"

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> The instructions say to paste the lines into user.js, not prefs.js.

The instructions you refer to do indeed only refer to 'user.js'.

However, 'prefs.js' is simply another name for 'user.js', according to

But user.js is not overwritten, the way prefs.js is.*
--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf