Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
"Bas Roufs"

Default How to SAVE new instructions added to the Firefox user preferences file?

Dear Everybody

At present, I am trying to save a few added instructions to this file:
/home/bas/.mozilla/firefox/a1ooj68h.default/prefs.js
It is the file which contains the user preferences for Firefox 3.05 at
Kubuntu 8.10.
Via Kate, I try to add some instructions meant to instruct Firefox to
allow to use the 'Rich Text editing demo' functionality at a specific
website - in my case a site via which I am working at the website for
a client. That's why, I have opened a few times the above mentioned
prefs.js file with Kate and pasted to it some instructions copied from
this site: http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midasdemo/securityprefs.html
While doing so, I also took into account special Linux/ Unix
instructions from this site:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
So, I quitted Firefox and copy-pasted the new instructions into the
file as summarised above; a few times I did so as 'normal' user, a few
other times I opened Kate via a terminel > sudo kate. However, neither
way worked out. The new instructions 'vanish' out of the file whenever
I open again Firefox.
Can anybody tell me how to save these new instructions in such a way
that Firefox can work with them? Is it necessary to do so as 'super
user'? If so, is the way I have done so so far (terminal > sudo kate >
password) correct? Or is there more correct way to indicate my super
user status in this situation?

If you manage to give me some input, thank you very much!

Bas.

--
===============
Viaconsensus

Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear Everybody
>
> At present, I am trying to save a few added instructions to this file:
> /home/bas/.mozilla/firefox/a1ooj68h.default/prefs.js

Why don't you read the big comment at the top of the file?

/* Do not edit this file.
*
* If you make changes to this file while the application is running,
* the changes will be overwritten when the application exits.
*
* To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL
about:config
* For more information, see
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
*/

Matthew Flaschen

Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Karl Klinger

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear Everybody
>
> At present, I am trying to save a few added instructions to this file:
> /home/bas/.mozilla/firefox/a1ooj68h.default/prefs.js
> It is the file which contains the user preferences for Firefox 3.05 at
> Kubuntu 8.10.
> Via Kate, I try to add some instructions meant to instruct Firefox to
> allow to use the 'Rich Text editing demo' functionality at a specific
> website - in my case a site via which I am working at the website for
> a client. That's why, I have opened a few times the above mentioned
> prefs.js file with Kate and pasted to it some instructions copied from
> this site: http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midasdemo/securityprefs.html
> While doing so, I also took into account special Linux/ Unix
> instructions from this site:
> http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs

The instructions say to paste the lines into user.js, not prefs.js.

Karl