Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default missing keyboard shortcut in mc 4.6.2-pre1 from kubuntu repo???

I'm a multi-boot linux user. I've currently got kubuntu, sabayon, and
openSuSE installed. On all of them I have midnight commander installed
(If it doesn't get installed from the installation media I use the
distro's package management system to get it before I bother configuring
anything else...)

I've been addicted to mc for years. And for years I used an <esc> <enter>
sequence to copy selected filename to the command line. Then one day
while looking for gui alternatives (I still use mc more than krusader)
I discovered that I could use <ctrl>+<enter> for the same thing, and
openSuSE. (both of which were at the time more recent installations
than the existing kubuntu So I thought that they simply had a more
recent version of mc and stopped thinking about it. except for those
<ctrl>+O {drag the mouse across the output string} then type the
desired command {inserting the pathname with middle click}...

But when I installed kubuntu 8.10 and discovered that the
I compared the version strings from mc's initial <F1> help screen
between both intrepid, and sabayon 3.5... Only to discover that both
were in fact the same version { mc 4.6.2-pre1 } But the two shortcuts
work on sabayon and NOT on kubuntu??????

Would anybody know why? Or better yet, how to enable the shortcuts in
kubuntu???

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Nils Kassube

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> But when I installed kubuntu 8.10 and discovered that the
> I compared the version strings from mc's initial <F1> help screen
> between both intrepid, and sabayon 3.5... Only to discover that both
> were in fact the same version { mc 4.6.2-pre1 } But the two shortcuts
> work on sabayon and NOT on kubuntu??????
>
> Would anybody know why?

I suppose the other distros have configured the shortcut.

> Or better yet, how to enable the shortcuts in
> kubuntu???

K-menu -> System Settings -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Command Shortcuts.
Select the application from the menu (if you can't find it there you can
use the menu editor to add it). At the bottom of the window
select "Custom" for "Shortcut for selected command" and enter your
shortcut in the new window. Don't forget to click "Apply".

Nils

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Dec 30, Nils Kassube did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > But when I installed kubuntu 8.10 and discovered that the
> > I compared the version strings from mc's initial <F1> help screen
> > between both intrepid, and sabayon 3.5... Only to discover that both
> > were in fact the same version { mc 4.6.2-pre1 } But the two shortcuts
> > work on sabayon and NOT on kubuntu??????
> >
> > Would anybody know why?
>
> I suppose the other distros have configured the shortcut.
>
> > Or better yet, how to enable the shortcuts in
> > kubuntu???
>
> K-menu -> System Settings -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Command Shortcuts.
> Select the application from the menu (if you can't find it there you can
> use the menu editor to add it). At the bottom of the window
> select "Custom" for "Shortcut for selected command" and enter your
> shortcut in the new window. Don't forget to click "Apply".

Thankyou for the clue Nils.

But I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for. As far as I can
see the Command Shortcuts section is used to assign a shortcut to load an
application. Even if I added mc to the kmenu with the required "run in
terminal" option setting a command shortcut would only initialize another
instance of mc in a new terminal window. Wouldn't it?

I'm looking to activate/unblock a couple of internal application
shortcuts INSIDE the terminal application mc (Midnight Commander) which
is my preferred file manager... And which must run inside a terminal such
as Konsole, or in one of the virtual consoles such as you can access with
<ctrl>+<alt>+<F2> (and return to the gui from with <alt>+<F7>) The odd
thing is that as I mentioned in my 2nd message to this thread, these
shortcuts do work if mc is running in a virtual console. But they fail when running inside Konsole (with both kubuntu 8.4 & kubuntu 8.10) The
difference with the other distros is that with them, these shortcuts do
work when mc is running in konsole...

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Sunday 28 December 2008 10:01:50 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> Would anybody know why? Or better yet, how to enable the shortcuts in
> kubuntu???

In konsole, go to Settings->Edit Current Profile and select the Input tab.
There will be a few choices. Not having used mc in a long time, I'm not sure
which one will work, but I'd guess that "Linux console" would be the safest
bet.

If that doesn't work, I suggest installing xterm (the daddy of all Linux GUI
terminal programs) and seeing if it works there. If it does, let me know and
I'll look for what else might be different about the two.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jan 2, Constantinos Maltezos did say:

> On Sunday 28 December 2008 10:01:50 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Would anybody know why? Or better yet, how to enable the shortcuts in
> > kubuntu???
>
> In konsole, go to Settings->Edit Current Profile and select the Input
> tab. There will be a few choices. Not having used mc in a long time,
> I'm not sure which one will work, but I'd guess that "Linux console"
> would be the safest bet.

I finally got a chance to reboot into intrepid. So I tried each of the
input tab choices. (apply, ok) Then for each choice I opened a new mc
session and tested thew shortcuts by selecting a filename then typing:

echo <ctrl>+<enter>

In each case the results were as if I had typed:

echo <enter>

-{Sigh!}-

> If that doesn't work, I suggest installing xterm (the daddy of all
> Linux GUI terminal programs) and seeing if it works there. If it
> does, let me know and I'll look for what else might be different
> about the two.

Did that too. Same results... -{sniffle}-

Just like the results with konsole, an xterm in kubuntu doesn't let

Since these same shortcuts do work in kubuntu if I run mc in one of
the 6 virtual consoles. But (in kubuntu) they don't work from an either
xterm or konsole, I have to think the problem isn't exactly with
"konsole" and/or "xterm", but rather some other aspect of how kubuntu
implements the gui must be interfering with these bindings...

But I still don't have a clue how to fix it...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Sunday 18 January 2009 4:16:41 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> Since these same shortcuts do work in kubuntu if I run mc in one of
> the 6 virtual consoles. But (in kubuntu) they don't work from an either
> xterm or konsole, I have to think the problem isn't exactly with
> "konsole" and/or "xterm", but rather some other aspect of how kubuntu
> implements the gui must be interfering with these bindings...
>
> But I still don't have a clue how to fix it...

I don't know if you have an rc file for mc, but if you do, check it carefully.
It might have special settings for running in X. I know vi has some settings
like that.

Something else to try: if you run Kopete, try starting a conversation with
someone. Type in a message and press ctrl+enter. If it sends the message,
then perhaps it's something like your keyboard layout. If it starts a new
line, then everything should be working properly. If it does neither of these
things, it occurs to me to ask if you have your ctrl key set up as a modifier
for making special characters like with accents or umlauts over them. If
that's the case, you might want to either change it or use the other ctrl key.

By the way, you've tried using both ctrl keys at different times, right?

One last thing to try if all of the above is a waste: install another WM. You
don't need Gnome. Try WindowMaker - that's a cool one. Or IceWM. I believe
they're both in the package manager (I'm on a different machine at the moment,
or I'd check). Then open xterm there and see if it works. If it does, then
it's a setting in KDE. If it doesn't, we go back to an X setting. So if it
doesn't, could you post the keyboard section of xorg.conf here?

Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jan 18, Constantinos Maltezos did say:

> On Sunday 18 January 2009 4:16:41 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Since these same shortcuts do work in kubuntu if I run mc in one of
> > the 6 virtual consoles. But (in kubuntu) they don't work from an either
> > xterm or konsole, I have to think the problem isn't exactly with
> > "konsole" and/or "xterm", but rather some other aspect of how kubuntu
> > implements the gui must be interfering with these bindings...
> >
> > But I still don't have a clue how to fix it...

> I don't know if you have an rc file for mc, but if you do, check it carefully.
> It might have special settings for running in X. I know vi has some settings
> like that.

That's a good suggestion. But the closest to an rc for mc that I'm
familiar with is ~/.mc/ini And I can't find anything like that there...

> Something else to try: if you run Kopete, try starting a conversation with
> someone. Type in a message and press ctrl+enter. If it sends the message,
> then perhaps it's something like your keyboard layout. If it starts a new
> line, then everything should be working properly. If it does neither of these
> things, it occurs to me to ask if you have your ctrl key set up as a modifier
> for making special characters like with accents or umlauts over them. If
> that's the case, you might want to either change it or use the other ctrl key.

Ummm Kopete... That's one of those {gag} instant messaging tools
isn't it??? Got no use for it. Nor do I ever set up custom keyboard
layouts. I always select "us & english" for language and keyboard
configurations on installation. And then I don't mess with it.

> By the way, you've tried using both ctrl keys at different times, right?

Yeah, even though I don't mess with the keyboard layout, I've
occasionally found that some distro or other's default set-ups do treat
the right modifier keys differently than the left. So when a shortcut
doesn't work the first thing I try is the other matching modifier key.

> One last thing to try if all of the above is a waste: install another WM. You
> don't need Gnome. Try WindowMaker - that's a cool one. Or IceWM. I believe
> they're both in the package manager (I'm on a different machine at the moment,
> or I'd check). Then open xterm there and see if it works. If it does, then
> it's a setting in KDE.

Well maybe I should try to find another WM I can stand. But the main
reason I originally selected KDE (several years ago) was that I could
do almost everything without dusting of that {expletive deleted}
rodent. AND it was possible to change the default keyboard shortcuts
for ones that made sense to me...

Would you happen to know of another WM that invests in the keyboard as a
primary input device??

Every time I look around I find that everything is supposed to be great
because of the "kool" way you just {censored} click on things to get
something done.

> If it doesn't, we go back to an X setting. So if it
> doesn't, could you post the keyboard section of xorg.conf here?

Well intrepid uses kde4 which has moved away from using the xorg.conf
file... But I get the same trouble with my hardy installation from
which I'll quote the keyboard section below. As far as intrepid goes
the best I know how to do this is to attach a snapshot of the Regional
& Language - System Settings >Keyboard Layout...

Or that is I would if kubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com didn't say:

=> Message body is too big: 178723 bytes with a limit of 40 KB

So instead I offer a link that should point to the image file for at
least the next month or so...

https://home.comcast.net/~jtwdyp/fileShuttle/IntrepidKeyboard.png

<And now this from the xorg.conf of my kubuntu 8.04.1 hardy install ...>

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

--
| ^^^ ^^^
| <o> <o> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| ___ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>
|
| <sigh>

P.S.: I probably should confess that apparently I goofed when I said I
tested that the shortcut works in openSuSE's KDE environment. I don't
go there much and I must have tested it in a virtual console before I
knew that it might matter if the gui was up and running... It does
however work just fine in the KDE implemented by the Sabayon Linux
team. Which is currently my default boot choice (I can actually listen
to my music there... It's been a while since kubunto didn't fill up my
external speakers with too much background hiss to make it pleasurable
to sic kaffeine on my music file partition...) Kubuntu loads up quicker
for me however. So when I'm booting with only enough time to do some
task that I'm too focused on to want the gentle distraction of my
music, I usually boot kubuntu instead. Which is why this bugs me. I
spend just enough time using mc in Sabayon that the <ctrl>+<enter> &
I windup having to reenter way too many incomplete command lines that
were executed by the shortcut with which I mearly intended to add a
pathname to it... <sigh>

Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Steven Vollom

Much as I would like, it is very hard for me to contribute anything, but maybe
I can here. When you mentioned the 40 kb rule, that has been important for
me to break from time to time getting help. When I needed to send a screen
print, I would send it to the private address of the poster. That way you
pass what you need to pass and don't offend the List. I don't think that is
a rule breaker.

Cudos,

Steven

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:48:21 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> Well maybe I should try to find another WM I can stand. But the main
> reason I originally selected KDE (several years ago) was that I could
> do almost everything without dusting of that {expletive deleted}
> rodent. AND it was possible to change the default keyboard shortcuts
> for ones that made sense to me...
>
> Would you happen to know of another WM that invests in the keyboard as a
> primary input device??

Sadly, no. Although it's very possible that there's a window manager with
which you can edit its keyboard shortcuts through an rc file. I just don't
remember off the top of my head. But maybe FVWM does. I do recall that FVWM
has pretty good keyboard support.

> Every time I look around I find that everything is supposed to be great
> because of the "kool" way you just {censored} click on things to get
> something done.

I know what you mean. I suggested the ones I did because they're small and
would let you test the keystrokes without doing a bunch of setting up. I
didn't mean you should completely switch. I myself wouldn't be able to give
up my KDE for anything these days.

> > If it doesn't, we go back to an X setting. So if it
> > doesn't, could you post the keyboard section of xorg.conf here?
>
> Well intrepid uses kde4 which has moved away from using the xorg.conf
> file... But I get the same trouble with my hardy installation from
> which I'll quote the keyboard section below. As far as intrepid goes
> the best I know how to do this is to attach a snapshot of the Regional
> & Language - System Settings >Keyboard Layout...
>
> Or that is I would if kubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com didn't say:
>
> => Message body is too big: 178723 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
>
> So instead I offer a link that should point to the image file for at
> least the next month or so...
>
> https://home.comcast.net/~jtwdyp/fileShuttle/IntrepidKeyboard.png

I see that you have keyboard layouts disabled. I'm very sure you've tried
this, but I'll ask anyway: have you tried enabling them? Don't add anything
and take the check mark off of the flag icon thing, but if you haven't tried
it, it might be worth it.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jan 23, Constantinos Maltezos did say:

> On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:48:21 pm Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Would you happen to know of another WM that invests in the keyboard as a
> > primary input device??
>
> Sadly, no. Although it's very possible that there's a window manager
> with which you can edit its keyboard shortcuts through an rc file. I
> just don't remember off the top of my head. But maybe FVWM does. I do
> recall that FVWM has pretty good keyboard support.

Hmmnnn maybe I should look into it then... Next time I boot intrepid
I'll have to try and remember to try "apt-get install fvwm"...

> I see that you have keyboard layouts disabled. I'm very sure you've
> tried this, but I'll ask anyway: have you tried enabling them? Don't add
> anything and take the check mark off of the flag icon thing, but if you
> haven't tried it, it might be worth it.

Well actually since I don't use keyboard layouts I'm quite sure I
haven't tried enabling them... I think it's a log shot. But I've got
nothing to lose. Thanks I'll have to give that a try sometime soon.