Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/219511-there-way-install-keyboard-programmed-windows.html)

Derek Broughton 12-29-2008 01:36 AM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
Steven Vollom wrote:

> I just purchased a new keyboard that has some nice features that require
> installing the software. The programs are .exe's, and I use Kubuntu KDE.
> I moved them to the c: drive of Wine, however they were rejected. Is
> there a way to work around this problem? TIA
>

It doesn't work that way. Even if the Windows executables run, they aren't
going to change the way your keyboard works under KDE.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Steven Vollom 12-29-2008 02:20 AM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
On Sunday 28 December 2008 9:36:02 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I just purchased a new keyboard that has some nice features that require
> > installing the software. The programs are .exe's, and I use Kubuntu KDE.
> > I moved them to the c: drive of Wine, however they were rejected. Is
> > there a way to work around this problem? TIA
>
> It doesn't work that way. Even if the Windows executables run, they aren't
> going to change the way your keyboard works under KDE.

There isn't a way to make them work either, is there?

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Richard S. Crawford" 12-29-2008 02:34 AM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
On Sunday 28 December 2008 19:20:53 Steven Vollom wrote:
> There isn't a way to make them work either, is there?

Steven,

I can't help but be curious as to what features could be installed on a
keyboard that are so super-spiffy that they require software to run? I can't
think of any features that I personally would need.

There are ways to map some functions to specific keys in KDE, though. I have a
key on my laptop which is mapped to Firefox, another mapped to Kontact, and
so on. My keyboard also has a volume control, which I set up to work with
Xkb.

So my suggestion is to look into Xkb. It should be in the regular
repositories, and the documentation is online. With it, you should be able to
find out what code each key is sending when pressed, and map a function to
it.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford
Editor-in-chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Personal website: http://www.mossroot.com



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Martin Meredith 12-29-2008 06:03 AM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 07:34:45PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Sunday 28 December 2008 19:20:53 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > There isn't a way to make them work either, is there?
>
> Steven,
>
> I can't help but be curious as to what features could be installed on a
> keyboard that are so super-spiffy that they require software to run? I can't
> think of any features that I personally would need.

encrypted wireless communication between keyboard/Mouse setup and dongle
requires the windows software to do for the logitech mx3200! (So, someone could
be sniffing this email as I type it from my keyboard! scary thought!)
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Eberhard Roloff 12-29-2008 01:07 PM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just purchased a new keyboard that has some nice features that require
> installing the software. The programs are .exe's, and I use Kubuntu KDE. I
> moved them to the c: drive of Wine, however they were rejected. Is there a
> way to work around this problem? TIA
>
> Steven
>
Hi Steven,

forget about the .exe's, they will only work with windows.

What you need is making all or (at least some) additional keys working
with Linux.

For a start, I would look here:
http://www.learnlinux.co.uk/E/technical_notes/ln0015.htm
and
http://linuxgazette.net/104/brown.html

Although those articles are not brand new, they are a good start.

Additionally this should work:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_multimedia_keyboard

Kind regards and have a happy new year
Eberhard



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 12-29-2008 01:42 PM

Is there a way to install a keyboard that was programmed for Windows?
 
Steven Vollom wrote:

> On Sunday 28 December 2008 9:36:02 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> > I just purchased a new keyboard that has some nice features that
>> > require
>> > installing the software. The programs are .exe's, and I use Kubuntu
>> > KDE.
>> > I moved them to the c: drive of Wine, however they were rejected. Is
>> > there a way to work around this problem? TIA
>>
>> It doesn't work that way. Even if the Windows executables run, they
>> aren't going to change the way your keyboard works under KDE.
>
> There isn't a way to make them work either, is there?

How would we know? There almost certainly is - google for your keyboard
(which you didn't tell us) and "Linux" and/or "KDE".


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.