Old 12-27-2008, 03:11 PM
chuck adams

Default (K)ubuntu on a netbook

I recently bought two netbooks (the small
notebook computers). Both use an Intel
Atom processor at 1.6GHz.

One was an Acer that I picked up at
Wal*Mart and the other was the lenova
S10 that I purchased at Fry's Electronics
in Phoenix AZ.

For the lenova I found that downloading and
booting the livecd for Ubuntu 9.04 daily-live
I was able to bring up Ubuntu and have the
wi-fi work without any modifications. I have
yet to get the wi-fi to work with the Acer.
And besides, I upgraded the lenova to 2GB
of RAM for $19 USD and the Acer will not
have an upgrade option. Ubuntu 9.04 has,
from the running livecd, a facility under
admin to create a bootable USB drive.
And the bootable USB works with the Acer and lenova
netbook computers.

I downloaded the alpha version of Kubuntu
9.04 and found that it does not have the livecd
version and it does not have the create a bootable
USB drive facility, as far as I can tell. I was wondering
if it would in April of 2009. I'll attempt a daily-live
build in the next few days, unless someone gives
me an tried and true option.

I will experiment later today to see if the loading
of kubuntu-desktop will convert the systems over
to KDE. I have never tried the ubuntu to kubuntu
route before.

I chose the netbooks over a PDF reader like Kindle
as I can have a book reader for PDF and DJVU and
other formats, have a running LINUX, and 160GB
of disc space to carry several thousand books
around without a lot of weight for about the same
money. USD. I have about 35 LINUX books on
the drive along with several hundred others in
scientific areas and I am nowhere near filling the
drive. Plus I can work on any book that I am
writing using LaTeX and the associated tools.

Hope this helps some. I can go through the process
in gory detail if needed and I'm sure it is documented
on the web.

FYI

chuck

Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Matthew Flaschen

chuck adams wrote:
> I will experiment later today to see if the loading
> of kubuntu-desktop will convert the systems over
> to KDE. I have never tried the ubuntu to kubuntu
> route before.

It works fine, though it's a bit tricky to get rid of the right GNOME
packages (i.e. without removing GTK stuff you still need). I would
recommend using the KDE CD if you can.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Jonathan Jesse

Sorry for top posting mobile phone and all

Real question is there a reason you are running alpha2 software on it? On my dell 9 I have had no problem s with 8.10 on it including wifi

Old 12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
chuck adams

On Sunday 28 December 2008 07:03:54 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Sorry for top posting mobile phone and all
>
> Real question is there a reason you are running alpha2 software on it? On
> my dell 9 I have had no problem s with 8.10 on it including wifi

I'll have to go back and try it again with 8.10, but I think I remember
that 8.10 did not have the USB thumb drive install running from the
livecd. I was experimenting last night on the Acer using unetbootlin
to install another distro to see how a different distro works on the
same hardware. I am trying different things to get a handle on
just how it all works and interacts.... I obviously have too much
free time on my hands. :-)

chuck