-   -   Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/218839-kubuntu-mini-laptop.html)

Nigel Ridley 12-27-2008 12:08 PM

Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop

I am thinking of buying a 'mini' laptop - probably the MSI Wind. I'm sure that I can get it
without XP.
How do I install Kubuntu on it, and which one (is there a special one for 'mni' laptops)? Can I
'burn' the iso image to a thumb drive?
I don't want the added expense of a separate USB DVD drive.

Blessings,

Nigel

Nils Kassube 12-27-2008 12:33 PM

Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Can I 'burn' the iso image to a thumb drive?
> I don't want the added expense of a separate USB DVD drive.

You can use Unetbootin [1] to put the ISO on a USB stick. It depends on
the target machine if you can boot from that USB stick for installation
but I suppose all new machines can be set in the BIOS to boot from USB.

Nils

[1] <http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/>

"Art Alexion" 12-27-2008 12:57 PM

Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of buying a 'mini' laptop - probably the MSI Wind. I'm sure that I can get it
> without XP.
> How do I install Kubuntu on it, and which one (is there a special one for 'mni' laptops)?

Follow Nil's instructions for creating a bootable USB.

There is a special version of Ubuntu for the eeePC, with a kernel
tuned for the processor, the webcam and the touchpad. I expect it
would be trivial to install the kubuntu-desktop once you install
Ubbuntu-eee.

There are also Cannonical/Dell repos especially for the Dell Mini

I don't know if there is one compiled for the MSI Wind.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Jim 12-27-2008 05:20 PM

Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I am thinking of buying a 'mini' laptop - probably the MSI Wind. I'm sure that I can get it
> without XP.
> How do I install Kubuntu on it, and which one (is there a special one for 'mni' laptops)? Can I
> 'burn' the iso image to a thumb drive?
> I don't want the added expense of a separate USB DVD drive.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Does Ubuntu run on a 2.6.27 kernel yet ?
A lot of these mini Laptop, the wireless cards and webcams won't run out
of the box with less than a kernel 2.6.27,
that is why I switched my Asus 702 to Fedora 10 it has the kernel-2.6.27
to run a lot of these mini laptops
.

lanzen 12-27-2008 06:49 PM

Kubuntu on a 'mini' laptop

On Saturday 27 December 2008 19:20:30 Jim wrote:

> Does Ubuntu run on a 2.6.27 kernel yet ?
> A lot of these mini Laptop, the wireless cards and webcams won't run out
> of the box with less than a kernel 2.6.27,
> that is why I switched my Asus 702 to Fedora 10 it has the kernel-2.6.27
> to run a lot of these mini laptops

I'm running kubuntu intrepid on my asus 1000H and hardy ubuntu eee on a 701.
You need the customised kernels (Array.org) and scripts to fix some issues but
they eventually work nicely.

--
lanzen