Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Luca

Default Change the desktop wallpaper

Hi all.

I need to change programmatically the desktop background image of my
Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find where this information
is stored (come text file?) but I can't find this information.

Someone can help me?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Tom

Hey ho,

> I need to change programmatically the desktop background
> image of my Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find
> where this information is stored (come text file?) but I
> can't find this information.

What do you mean by "programmatically"? The first program
that came to mind here is feh, which can come in handy in
simple shell scripts (its man page is instructive).

But maybe you meant something more technically involved;
I wouldn't know what to suggest in that area.

Tschuess,
Tom

--
np: Welle: Erdball - Commodore C=64 (C=64)

Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Luca

On Dec 23, 2007 4:10 PM, Tom <kubuntu@virta.be> wrote:
> Hey ho,
>
> > I need to change programmatically the desktop background
> > image of my Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find
> > where this information is stored (come text file?) but I
> > can't find this information.
>
> What do you mean by "programmatically"? The first program
> that came to mind here is feh, which can come in handy in
> simple shell scripts (its man page is instructive).

I'll try... but this info isn't stored in some text file under
/home/userid/... ??

Thanks you!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Tom

Hey,

<programmatically change background with feh>

> I'll try... but this info isn't stored in some text file under
> /home/userid/... ??

Well, depends on what environment you log into. If you
use gnome, gconf-editor stores it as

/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename

gconftool will help you further on that road.

feh keeps a record of it latest invocation as well,
though, if you prefer the simple approach. Can't
remember what name it gives the file, that's why I
referred to the man page.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Tom

Hey ho again,

<feh etc.>

> I'll try... but this info isn't stored in some text file under
> /home/userid/... ??

I'm sorry to have forgotten this is the kubuntu
list, so the odds are against you using gnome.
Sorry for the noise.

Tom

Old 12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 23 December 2007, Luca wrote:
> I need to change programmatically the desktop background image of my
> Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find where this information
> is stored (come text file?) but I can't find this information.

If you're running KDE (and it does vary by platform) then the wallpaper
setting is stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc in plain text that should
be easy enough to figure out.

I'm not sure how to trigger getting the kdesktop application to react to a
manual change in its configuration file though.

There's also a slide show option you can set up through the main graphical
configuration when you right click on the desktop and Configure Desktop. If
that would serve your needs, it would be the most sure and efficient way to
go.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-23-2007, 02:48 PM
"John DeCarlo"

I need to change programmatically the desktop background image of my
Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find where this information
is stored (come text file?) but I can't find this information.

Someone can help me?

~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Luca

Thanks you all!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Luca wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I need to change programmatically the desktop background image of my
> Kubuntu. I think that the best way is to find where this information
> is stored (come text file?) but I can't find this information.
>
> Someone can help me?
That's very simple. Run the following command:
where
<desktop> is number of desktop where you want to change wallpaper
<file> is a graphical file which you want to use as wallpaper
<mode> is an integer from 1 to 8. You can get description of every
mode in "Configure desktop" tool.