Old 12-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Ash

Default Uninstalling Kubuntu 8.10

Hi all,*
I am very new to Linux.*
I succeeded in installing my first ever Linux OS : Kubuntu 8.10 by Live USB while having Win XP as the other platform.*

I wish to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
Can i get a guide on how to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10 ?
Thank you.
- Ash*
--
Generate space in life by generating space in our own mind!!

Old 12-25-2008, 04:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/12/25 Ash <ash8kewl@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I am very new to Linux.
> I succeeded in installing my first ever Linux OS : Kubuntu 8.10 by Live USB
> while having Win XP as the other platform.
> I wish to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
> Can i get a guide on how to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10 ?
> Thank you.

Ask, just back up your files and install Ubuntu Studio to the
partition where Kubuntu is. An OS is not uninstalled like an
application is. The way to remove an OS is to format the partition in
which is resides. Installing another OS to that partition will do
that.

Again, I stress, back up your important files!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/25 Ash <ash8kewl@gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>> I am very new to Linux.
>> I succeeded in installing my first ever Linux OS : Kubuntu 8.10 by Live USB
>> while having Win XP as the other platform.
>> I wish to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
>> Can i get a guide on how to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10 ?
>> Thank you.
>>

> Ask, just back up your files and install Ubuntu Studio to the
> partition where Kubuntu is. An OS is not uninstalled like an
> application is. The way to remove an OS is to format the partition in
> which is resides. Installing another OS to that partition will do
> that.
>
> Again, I stress, back up your important files!

Although this is not an answer to your question, please note, that you
definitely do NOT
need to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10.

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop

will install ubuntu studio into your existing 8.10 installation.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Edmund Laugasson

>> I am very new to Linux.
>> I succeeded in installing my first ever Linux OS : Kubuntu 8.10 by Live USB
>> while having Win XP as the other platform.
>> I wish to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
>> Can i get a guide on how to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10 ?
>> Thank you.
>>

> Ask, just back up your files and install Ubuntu Studio to the
> partition where Kubuntu is. An OS is not uninstalled like an
> application is. The way to remove an OS is to format the partition in
> which is resides. Installing another OS to that partition will do
> that.
>
> Again, I stress, back up your important files!

Exactly - just backup your important data and boot from the Ubuntu Studio CD (or DVD) and choose the
same mount points and mark the format checkbox. Swap partition will not be formatted and it's OK.
Then follow the instructions on screen. That's it!

Some guides:
http://www.ubustu.com/globe/ubuntu-studio-install-guide/
http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntustudio_7.04 - with screenshots and passes also newer versions
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Ubuntu-Studio-54514.shtml

more guides - http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+studio+install

Old 12-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Edmund Laugasson

>>> Hi all,
>>> I am very new to Linux.
>>> I succeeded in installing my first ever Linux OS : Kubuntu 8.10 by Live USB
>>> while having Win XP as the other platform.
>>> I wish to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
>>> Can i get a guide on how to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10 ?
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>> Ask, just back up your files and install Ubuntu Studio to the
>> partition where Kubuntu is. An OS is not uninstalled like an
>> application is. The way to remove an OS is to format the partition in
>> which is resides. Installing another OS to that partition will do
>> that.
>>
>> Again, I stress, back up your important files!
>>
> Although this is not an answer to your question, please note, that you
> definitely do NOT
> need to uninstall Kubuntu 8.10.
>
> sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop
>
> will install ubuntu studio into your existing 8.10 installation.

That's right! Great idea!

I suggest:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install ubuntustudio-desktop && sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg
--configure -a && sudo apt-get clean

This will update repository information and then install ubuntu studio and then little housekeeping.
Then after restart you have ubuntu studio

Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Edmund Laugasson

> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install ubuntustudio-desktop &&
> sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get clean

Better this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install ubuntustudio-desktop && sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg
--configure -a && sudo apt-get clean && sudo reboot

Copy this to the terminal window, press enter, enter your password and watch the action and after PC
automatically restarts, you have Ubuntu Studio

Then after restart I suggest upgrade:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade && sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg --configure -a &&
sudo apt-get clean && sudo reboot

Now you have after restart up-to-date Ubuntu Studio!