Old 12-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Ray Burke

Default re re-partition Kubuntu 3-partitions on 40gb

anyone out can help

I run Kubuntu on a 40gb with three partitions 8gb sdb1/1gb swap area /38gb sbd3 /home!
but my sdb1 is always 100% full, and I want to partition it to
20gb sdb1
1 gb swap
19gb sdb3 /home
therefore reduce the 38gb sdb3 back to 19gb
**************** and the** 8gb sdb1 up to*** 20gb
**************** leaving the swap area as 1gb.

does anyone no of app or program that is able to do this without destroying
any of the data???
as I have it connected to a dual boot 80gb xp pro/Kubuntu 40gb,
as I dont want to re-install Kubuntu and loose any data?????????

ray

Download free emoticons today! Holiday cheer from Messenger.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Nils Kassube

Ray Burke wrote:
> I run Kubuntu on a 40gb with three partitions 8gb sdb1/1gb swap area
> /38gb sbd3 /home! but my sdb1 is always 100% full, and I want to
> partition it to 20gb sdb1
> 1 gb swap
> 19gb sdb3 /home
> therefore reduce the 38gb sdb3 back to 19gb
> and the 8gb sdb1 up to 20gb
> leaving the swap area as 1gb.
>
> does anyone no of app or program that is able to do this without
> destroying any of the data???
> as I have it connected to a dual boot 80gb xp pro/Kubuntu 40gb,
> as I dont want to re-install Kubuntu and loose any data?????????

It can be done with gparted. It might be possible with qtparted as well,
but I prefer gparted. However I would suggest you make backups anyway
before you change the partitioning of a disk. You can't use the running
system to do what you want, so you should use e.g. the Ubuntu LiveCD
which has gparted included. After you have started the LiveCD turn off
swap with the command

sudo swapoff -a

in a terminal because your swap area is used by the LiveCD automatically.
And be prepared to wait a long time until the resizing is finished.

Nils

Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Ray Burke wrote:
>> I run Kubuntu on a 40gb with three partitions 8gb sdb1/1gb swap area
>> /38gb sbd3 /home! but my sdb1 is always 100% full, and I want to
>> partition it to 20gb sdb1
>> 1 gb swap
>> 19gb sdb3 /home
>> therefore reduce the 38gb sdb3 back to 19gb
>> and the 8gb sdb1 up to 20gb
>> leaving the swap area as 1gb.
>>
>> does anyone no of app or program that is able to do this without
>> destroying any of the data???
>> as I have it connected to a dual boot 80gb xp pro/Kubuntu 40gb,
>> as I dont want to re-install Kubuntu and loose any data?????????
>
> It can be done with gparted. It might be possible with qtparted as well,
> but I prefer gparted. However I would suggest you make backups anyway
> before you change the partitioning of a disk. You can't use the running
> system to do what you want, so you should use e.g. the Ubuntu LiveCD
> which has gparted included. After you have started the LiveCD turn off
> swap with the command
>
> sudo swapoff -a
>
> in a terminal because your swap area is used by the LiveCD automatically.
> And be prepared to wait a long time until the resizing is finished.
>

> Nils

If you don't have the live CD, I would recommend partedmagic. Has does
what you want but is a much smaller download. It is still using
Gparted.
http://wiki.partedmagic.com/index.php/Downloads

If you have a desktop system, then you might want to get rid of the
swap. My system does not use it but that is related to how much RAM
you have and what aps you use. You also should set the swappiness to
something like 0, not the standard 60 that is good for servers.
http://lwn.net/Articles/83588/

Conky is good for watching memory and has a very light memory foot
print but the setting it up takes some reading. Or you could just use
some other thing to watch the swap as you do your daily stuff: maybe
Ksysguard.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Ray Burke

Nils,

*

I don't quite understand, you mean just connect singularly my 40gb Kubuntu

and reboot with a Ubuntu live cd, and when its loaded as trial then go to

a terminal window and type sudo swapoff -a
to turn off, then what??????????

*

ray

Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Nils Kassube

Ray Burke wrote:
> I don't quite understand, you mean just connect singularly my 40gb
> Kubuntu and reboot with a Ubuntu live cd, and when its loaded as trial
> then go to a terminal window and type sudo swapoff -ato turn off, then
> what??????????

Reboot with the Ubuntu LiveCD. Open a terminal and type "sudo swapoff -a".
Start gparted either from the menu or with the command "gksu gparted" at
the terminal.

Sorry, I don't have a spare disk to play with, so the following
description is from memory. Select the disk you want to modify (if there
are several disks in your machine). Then you can click on the bars which
depict the individual partitons and move the margin of the bar with the
mouse or enter new numbers for the space of the partition and the free
space before / after the partition. Finally apply the changes by clicking
on the appropriate button or select apply from one of the menues.

Nils

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Ray Burke

Nils,

*

when you say**Reboot with the Ubuntu LiveCD, you dont install just try (demo) the live cd,

and do the rest, select the disc etc????????

*

*

ray

PS merry xmas to you

*

Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Nils Kassube

Ray Burke wrote:
> when you say Reboot with the Ubuntu LiveCD, you dont install just try
> (demo) the live cd, and do the rest, select the disc etc????????

Right. Select the demo mode, not install mode. In the demo mode you have a
working system which can run gparted. You don't want to install anything.

Nils

Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Ray Burke

Nils,

*

Thankyou* very much for you help, I will attempt to do all this in next couple of days,

as I want to enjoy the festive season now as its xmas day here in Australia?????

*

ray

Old 12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Ray Burke

Nils,

*

I did that and had a problem, as it said was performing 1 of the 2 tasks

1/ reducing the 29gb sdbe to 20gb and after 3 hours came back with error

2/ enlarging the 8bg sdbe to 19gg, but did not even start cause of above error.

*

am I supposed to in thew terminal type sudo swapoff -a or thru drop down menu of the

40gb disc, click swapoff, and when finished do I turn the swapon???????

*

ray

PS I got* some printouts form https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition?action print,
and does not say anythink about swapoff??????

*

Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Nils Kassube

Ray Burke wrote:
> I did that and had a problem, as it said was performing 1 of the 2
> tasks 1/ reducing the 29gb sdbe to 20gb and after 3 hours came back
> with error 2/ enlarging the 8bg sdbe to 19gg, but did not even start
> cause of above error.

Oh, that's not good to read. I hope there was nothing lost. Now the
question is what the error was. Did you have enough free space, i.e. was
there less than 20GB of data on the (originally) 29GB partition? Can you
access the partition from the LiveCD? Maybe you need to reboot (with the
LiveCD) to read the modified partition table. I'm not sure it does that
automatically if there was an error.

I could imagine that Ubuntu tried to automatically mount the partitions of
the disk after resizing the first one and gparted refused to continue
while the partition for the next operation was mounted. If that is the
case, you could just resize the second partition after unmounting it.

> am I supposed to in thew terminal type sudo swapoff -a or thru drop
> down menu of the 40gb disc, click swapoff,

Either way. Gparted wouldn't let you modify the space of the partition if
it is in use as swap space.

> and when finished do I turn
> the swapon???????

When finished you can turn swap on again, but it isn't necessary if you
don't want to use the LiveCD any longer.

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition?action print,and does
> not say anythink about swapoff??????

Well, on one of the pages it says this:

| After assuring that the /swap partition is unmounted,

Actually it doesn't tell you _how_ to unmount the swap partition but you
have to do it.

Nils