Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I change the default configuration of MPlayer movie player?

I don't know if this is possible, however, since the purchase of my new
monitor, I find myself always choosing MPlayer as my movie player, because I
can change to aspect ratio to 16:9. My preference would be that whenever I
wanted to play a movie on the computer, it would automatically open with
MPlayer as the default movie player, and the default aspect ratio to be 16:9.

I also think it would be attractive for people with different aspect ratios to
be able to set their default settings to meet the needs of their particular
monitor shapes. Can this be done? TIA.

Steven

Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Paul Lemmons

I don't know exactly how to change the default player to mplayer but to
set the default options for when mplayer starts you can create a file:
~/mplayer/config and place the options in the file. For example mine
looks like:

~/.mplayer$ cat config

# Write your default config options here!

lirc ="no"

joystick="no"

cache="8192"

double="yes"

Old 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Steven Vollom

> ~/.mplayer$ cat config
> # Write your default config options here!
> lirc ="no"
> joystick="no"
> cache="8192"
> double="yes"

This will be my first time typing in an instruction where I don't use a GUI.
If I want 16:9 aspect ratio, do I just type in: 16:9="yes", or do I type in
aspect ratio 16:9="yes"? Thank You.

Steven

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/12/23 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> I don't know if this is possible, however, since the purchase of my new
> monitor, I find myself always choosing MPlayer as my movie player, because I
> can change to aspect ratio to 16:9. My preference would be that whenever I
> wanted to play a movie on the computer, it would automatically open with
> MPlayer as the default movie player, and the default aspect ratio to be 16:9.

In the settings for filebindings you should be able to move mplayer as
the first option for the different video mime types.
I'm not sure its wise to force a 16:9 aspect ratio for all videos.
What if the video source has a ratio of 4:3 vouldn't that give some
strange results?

/ Jonas

Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Steven Vollom

> What if the video source has a ratio of 4:3 vouldn't that give some
> strange results?

Hi Jonas,

I really don't know why; it opens in a default right now, but not 16:9. If I
want 4:3, I just select 4:3. Or if I want 16:9, I select that aspect ratio.
In fact that is what I do, every time I play a movie. It seems appropriate
to have it open in 16:9, since that is my choice every time I play a movie.
16:9 almost fills the screen except for about one half inch at top and
bottom.

Wouldn't a movie made in 4:3 be changeable to 16:9 if you wanted to do that,
using MPlayer?

I really don't know a lot about this, but I do change to 16:9 when I play
movies, and it seems wasteful to have to click the mouse so many extra times
to get what I always want.

I choose MPlayer too, because it has the aspect ratio feature. That too seems
wasteful in terms of mouse clicks. Each time I open a movie, I have to
right-click on the title, then choose 16:9 for aspect ratio. It would be
better just to click on the title of the movie and have it open as I wish,
without having to make so many choices. If it is a 4:3 aspect ration,
nothing prohibits me from clicking on that choice, the few times it happens.

Steven

Old 12-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Wouldn't a movie made in 4:3 be changeable to 16:9 if you wanted to do
> that, using MPlayer?

Not possible without screwing up the aspect ratio.....

Think about it.... 3 is the vertical ratio number... and you would be
stretching it to 9 or multiplying by 3.

In order to keep the horizontal at the same ratio, multiply by 3 and get 12.

12:9 would be correct. 16:9 would be stretching the horizontal.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Steven Vollom

> Think about it.... 3 is the vertical ratio number... and you would be
> stretching it to 9 or multiplying by 3.

Since I got my new 22" active matrix, I play all movies at 16:9. They play
beautifully and look just perfect. I am not sure they just stretch the
picture, the frames look correct, it just fills the screen with about 1/2
inch top and bottom. In default, there is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches top and
bottom. I still enjoy the movie, just not as much. I haven't played a movie
that had an aspect ratio of 4:3 for a while. As I recall, there is black
space right and left about 2 inches.

I think if you saw the picture, you would prefer 16:9 too. And RPlayer is the
only player in my group that provides an aspect ratio option. Since I always
play my movies at 16:9 anyway, if there is an instruction that will allow my
preference, I would still like to default that way. It doesn't seem to hurt
anything. I have been doing it that way even when I had a CRT monitor. It
would fill the screen when I used 4:3 aspect ratio Instead of having an inch
or more top and bottom of black.

If you have a newer monitor, much wider than tall, play a movie using MPlayer
and change the aspect ratio to 16:9. You will understand why I prefer it
that way. It will probably surprise you. It is like having a much larger
screen.

Cordially,
Steven

Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I don't know if this is possible, however, since the purchase of my new
> monitor, I find myself always choosing MPlayer as my movie player,
> because I can change to aspect ratio to 16:9. My preference would be
> that whenever I wanted to play a movie on the computer, it would
> automatically open with MPlayer as the default movie player, and the
> default aspect ratio to be 16:9.

With your file manager right click on a movie file and select properties.
Click on the button with the wrench icon beside the file name. There you
can add Mplayer (if necessary). Then move the Mplayer line to the top to
make it the default. Click on the modify button and select the program
tab. Probably the command is "mplayer %u" or something similar. Change it
to "mplayer -fs %u", i.e. write "-fs" after "mplayer". Then Mplayer will
always start in full screen mode. It will keep the aspect ratio of the
movie and put black bars to the top and bottom or to the sides if
necessary. Finally click "OK" to apply the changes.

Nils

Old 12-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Steven Vollom

> With your file manager right click on a movie file and select properties.
> Click on the button with the wrench icon beside the file name. There you
> can add Mplayer (if necessary). Then move the Mplayer line to the top

What did that accomplish? When I then clicked on a movie it still defaulted
to kaffeine.

> make it the default.

Where is the default option?

> Click on the modify button and select the program tab.

Since I made the recent changes, I click on SystemMenu and it opens, however
the choices within the menu will not open.

> Probably the command is "mplayer %u" or something similar. Change it
> to "mplayer -fs %u", i.e. write "-fs" after "mplayer". Then Mplayer will
> always start in full screen mode.

Nils, if I typed in mplayer -16:9 %u would that default the aspect ratio to
16:9?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > With your file manager right click on a movie file and select
> > properties. Click on the button with the wrench icon beside the file
> > name. There you can add Mplayer (if necessary). Then move the Mplayer
> > line to the top
>
> What did that accomplish? When I then clicked on a movie it still
> defaulted to kaffeine.
>
> > make it the default.
>
> Where is the default option?

There is the big area marked "Application preference order" with the
applications which are registered to play your movie. The first one is
the default application. So if mplayer is below the first line, click on
the line which says mplayer and click the "Move up" button until mplayer
is in the top line. If you click OK now, mplayer should be the default
application for this type of movies.

> > Click on the modify button and select the program tab.

My guess of the English button name was wrong - actually it is "Edit...".

> Since I made the recent changes, I click on SystemMenu and it opens,
> however the choices within the menu will not open.

Do you mean the System Menu beside the K-Menu? And what doesn't open
there? IMHO that menu has nothing to do with the preference of
applications for playing movies.

> > Probably the command is "mplayer %u" or something similar. Change it
> > to "mplayer -fs %u", i.e. write "-fs" after "mplayer". Then Mplayer
> > will always start in full screen mode.
>
> Nils, if I typed in mplayer -16:9 %u would that default the aspect
> ratio to 16:9?

My mplayer version doesn't know a "-16:9" option but it does
know "-monitoraspect 16:9". With that option the command would
be "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u". But it doesn't change anything with
the movie I have tried. Anyway, did you try if "-fs" gives a usable
result?

Nils