Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

Default How do I change the default configuration of MPlayer movie player?

2008/12/24 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> I choose MPlayer too, because it has the aspect ratio feature. That too seems
> wasteful in terms of mouse clicks. Each time I open a movie, I have to
> right-click on the title, then choose 16:9 for aspect ratio. It would be
> better just to click on the title of the movie and have it open as I wish,
> without having to make so many choices. If it is a 4:3 aspect ration,
> nothing prohibits me from clicking on that choice, the few times it happens.
>
> Steven

You can change the aspect ratio in Kaffeine to by pressing F5, F6, F7,
F8 or F9 or from the menu, Player > Video > Aspect ratio (don't know
the exact english translation).

/ Jonas

Old 12-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Steven Vollom

> My mplayer version doesn't know a "-16:9" option but it does
> know "-monitoraspect 16:9". With that option the command would
> be "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u". But it doesn't change anything with
> the movie I have tried. Anyway, did you try if "-fs" gives a usable
> result?

I took your advice, however, now, when it opens, it opens to, I believe, 12:9
aspect ratio. Additionally, the right-click that used to reveal properties
is no longer enabled. If you right click nothing happens; if you try to
resize it closes and you start over from the beginning.

Pause, mute, aspect ratio, are among features that I miss. I think I would
almost prefer going through the steps of choosing the 16:9 aspect ratio than
have it open on a single click. I like to be able to pause to refresh myself
or mute if someone calls on the telephone. If I want to stop or quiet a
movie, I have to turn it off and start over. I do like how it jumps into a
movie though. That method of configuration is a no nonsense opening of a
movie. If it just had the 16:9 aspect ratio, I believe I wouldn't mind
losing the other features so much.

By the way, where did you find the 'monitoraspect choice'? Did you just make
it up and the computer understood? I would like to know how to do that.

Meli Kalikimaka, in Hawaiian that is Merry Christmas. My son-in-law is a
native of Maui. You should hear when my 5 year old grandbaby says that, or
when she says Happy Birthday Jesus, it ties your heart in a knot.

Cheers!

Steven

Old 12-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Steven Vollom

> mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u

Here are some attempts I made trying to set a default monitor aspect ratio of
16:9. Please see if you can make a recommendation that might work? Thanks!

StevenMPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 4)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing %u.
File not found: '%u'
Failed to open %u.

Exiting... (End of file)
steven@Studio25:~$ mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 4)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Usage: mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename

Basic options: (complete list in the man page)
-vo <drv> select video output driver ('-vo help' for a list)
-ao <drv> select audio output driver ('-ao help' for a list)
vcd://<trackno> play (S)VCD (Super Video CD) track (raw device, no mount)
dvd://<titleno> play DVD title from device instead of plain file
-alang/-slang select DVD audio/subtitle language (by 2-char country code)
-ss <position> seek to given (seconds or hh:mm:ss) position
-nosound do not play sound
-fs fullscreen playback (or -vm, -zoom, details in the man page)
-x <x> -y <y> set display resolution (for use with -vm or -zoom)
-sub <file> specify subtitle file to use (also see -subfps, -subdelay)
-playlist <file> specify playlist file
-vid x -aid y select video (x) and audio (y) stream to play
-fps x -srate y change video (x fps) and audio (y Hz) rate
-pp <quality> enable postprocessing filter (details in the man page)
-framedrop enable frame dropping (for slow machines)

Basic keys: (complete list in the man page, also check input.conf)
<- or -> seek backward/forward 10 seconds
down or up seek backward/forward 1 minute
pgdown or pgup seek backward/forward 10 minutes
< or > step backward/forward in playlist
p or SPACE pause movie (press any key to continue)
q or ESC stop playing and quit program
+ or - adjust audio delay by +/- 0.1 second
o cycle OSD mode: none / seekbar / seekbar + timer
* or / increase or decrease PCM volume
x or z adjust subtitle delay by +/- 0.1 second
r or t adjust subtitle position up/down, also see -vf expand

* * * SEE THE MAN PAGE FOR DETAILS, FURTHER (ADVANCED) OPTIONS AND KEYS * * *

steven@Studio25:~$ mplayer -monitoraspect -x 16 -y 6
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 4)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
The monitoraspect option must be a floating point number or a ratio
(numerator[:/]denominator): -x
Error parsing option on the command line: -monitoraspect
steven@Studio25:~$ mplayer -monitoraspect -x/16 -y/9
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 4)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
The monitoraspect option must be a floating point number or a ratio
(numerator[:/]denominator): -x/16
Error parsing option on the command line: -monitoraspect
steven@Studio25:~$ mplayer -monitoraspect -x <16> -y <9>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `16'
steven@Studio25:~$

Steven

Old 12-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Steven Vollom

> You can change the aspect ratio in Kaffeine to by pressing F5, F6, F7,
> F8 or F9 or from the menu, Player > Video > Aspect ratio (don't know
> the exact english translation).

When the aspect ratio opened, none of the choices were active. I could not
set aspect. Additionally there was no choice for 16:9 which is what I
prefer.

Thanks Jonas,
Steven

Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > My mplayer version doesn't know a "-16:9" option but it does
> > know "-monitoraspect 16:9". With that option the command would
> > be "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u". But it doesn't change anything
> > with the movie I have tried. Anyway, did you try if "-fs" gives a
> > usable result?
>
> I took your advice, however, now, when it opens, it opens to, I
> believe, 12:9 aspect ratio. Additionally, the right-click that used to
> reveal properties is no longer enabled. If you right click nothing
> happens; if you try to resize it closes and you start over from the
> beginning.

I think we are talking about different applications. Could it be that you
originally meant Kmplayer or Gnome-mplayer instead? When I right-click on
a movie playing with mplayer (without any extra options) then nothing
happens.

> Pause, mute, aspect ratio, are among features that I miss. I think I
> would almost prefer going through the steps of choosing the 16:9 aspect
> ratio than have it open on a single click. I like to be able to pause
> to refresh myself or mute if someone calls on the telephone. If I want
> to stop or quiet a movie, I have to turn it off and start over. I do
> like how it jumps into a movie though. That method of configuration is
> a no nonsense opening of a movie. If it just had the 16:9 aspect
> ratio, I believe I wouldn't mind losing the other features so much.

With mplayer you could use the space key for pause. Somehow the mute
option (key m) doesn't work for me. However the appropriate keys for
volume, mute and pause on my multimedia keyboard do work. But I don't
know how to change the aspect ratio while playing a movie. If you aren't
using the full screen mode (option -fs) you can resize the movie if you
drag the border of the mplayer window with the mouse.

> By the way, where did you find the 'monitoraspect choice'? Did you
> just make it up and the computer understood? I would like to know how
> to do that.

I found it in the man page. Use the command "man mplayer" in a terminal to
read it or type "man:mplayer" in the konqueror address bar. You might as
well install the package mplayer-doc and read the
file /usr/share/doc/mplayer-doc/HTML/en/index.html with konqueror.

And about your other mail: "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u" is what should
be entered as the command in the configuration for the file association.
If you use it to start a movie from the command line it would be the
filename instead of the "%u".

Nils

Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Steven Vollom

> I think we are talking about different applications.

No, MPlayer has been that special video player to be. The very reason it is,
is because of the options and choices. My memory suggests that the first
time I used that feature, I was watching a movie when someone called me on
the telephone. I didn't want to loose my place in my movie; I didn't want to
put pleasure in front of someone's telephone call. I right clicked looking
for options and for the menu. There are more choices on the MPlayer options
list than any other player. I found myself pausing for interruptions daily.
Some times when watching non verbal geographical interests, I would keep the
video going while attending to the interruption. Always when watching a
movie, I would set the aspect ratio to 16:9. The list of controllable events
is too numerous to remember, however, always there when you needed them.

The only feature that Kaffeine had that I preferred was the ability to play a
movie, edit the position of the film by putting the cursor on the bottom of
the screen and having a dashboard to make adjustments. I could skip
offensive scenes by a single click or return to review something extra
interesting using the same single click. MPlayer required a couple of clicks
to get the same choice, and a click to get that choice off the screen. It
was, however, never enough reason to use Kaffeine as a default, even though
it always presumed the position.

When I changed the configuration to have the instant on with an expanded view,
I love the ability to right click the options that made MPlayer special. If
I could figure out how to get those features, I would return to the former
configuration, because although the new features are terrific, they do not
exceed multiple benefits of the options lost.

> Could it be that you originally meant Kmplayer or Gnome-mplayer instead?

Neither are on my computer.

> When I right-click on a movie playing with mplayer (without any extra
>options) then nothing happens.

If we both have the selfsame configuration I am sure that is correct, however,
if you had my previous configuration, you would have the option panel too.

> With mplayer you could use the space key for pause.

I have never been able to remember the key-stroke shortcuts. I wish I could
remember to take the time to learn them. I suspect they are not as easy to
place in memory as they seem to be. I think that is a right-brain handicap.
It is too intellectual and not enough visual to be an easy concept. I am
stuck with my artist's mind. But eventually, if I live long enough I will
remember to learn how to use them.

>If you aren't using the full screen mode (option -fs) you can resize the
movie if you drag the border of the mplayer window with the mouse.

I wish I had known this. That was the most important reason for using
MPlayer, other than the fact that MPlayer default opening is a window about
an inch and a half tall by three inches wide.

> I found it in the man page. Use the command "man mplayer" in a terminal to
> read it or type "man:mplayer" in the konqueror address bar.

I am just starting to remember to use the man pages from time to time. It is
not the first thought when I need it. My natural inclination is to look for
the GUI option. Sometimes it exists, sometimes not. I am really enjoying
this aspect of learning; when I start thinking properly when facing a
problem, I will be able to stop bothering you all so much.
> You might as well install the package mplayer-doc and read the
> file /usr/share/doc/mplayer-doc/HTML/en/index.html with konqueror.

You can see my naturally screwy thought process. I have almost a dozen
MPlayer related packages installed and not mplayer-doc. I have it now and
will spend a lot of time in their this day. It will give me something to do
when everyone else is busy.

> And about your other mail: "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u" is what should
> be entered as the command in the configuration for the file association.
> If you use it to start a movie from the command line it would be the
> filename instead of the "%u".

mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u is what I included, however, when I open a
movie, it still goes back to the 12:9 configuration, so this automatic open
feature is lacking the most important reason for my using MPlayer, 16:9
aspect ratio. In any event it is a small matter, but I would still rather
the extra event clicking than losing the aspect ratio opportunity. It just
makes a movie better.

You are a great teacher Nils. I am grateful for the time you spend with me.
I hope others who are like me and would not think to ask the appropriate
questions without the wonderful input you give that stimulates the thoughts.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanakkuh whichever appropriate, on this Holy Day.
This forum is a year round Christmas present to me.

Steven

Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/12/25 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:

>> You can change the aspect ratio in Kaffeine to by pressing F5, F6, F7,
>> F8 or F9 or from the menu, Player > Video > Aspect ratio (don't know
>> the exact english translation).
>
> When the aspect ratio opened, none of the choices were active. I could not
> set aspect. Additionally there was no choice for 16:9 which is what I
> prefer.
>
> Thanks Jonas,
> Steven

Pressing F7 gives me 16:9 aspect ratio. Changing the aspect resolution
to something that the video source is not will stretch the image so it
looks strange. Many LCD TV will as default stretch the picture so it
will fill the screen no matter what aspect ratio the source got and i
just hate it, but others thinks it's more important that the picture
fills the whole screen then that a circle is round.

/ Jonas

Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Steven Vollom

> > > Probably the command is "mplayer %u" or something similar. Change it
> > > to "mplayer -fs %u", i.e. write "-fs" after "mplayer". Then Mplayer
> > > will always start in full screen mode.

Before I found the aspect ratio feature in MPlayer, I preferred Kaffeine. I
did not know to ask the question about aspect ratio with Kaffeine, so I just
decided to use MPlayer. I preferred the 16:9 ratio to the benefits I
preferred in Kaffeine.

Your suggestions have caused the behavior to change MPlayer, but the comment
of F7 motivated me to try that while Kaffeine was open to see if it would
work there. It does, and I have begun to use Kaffeine now. Strangely enough
I did something in MPlayer anyway that caused it to not open anymore. I
suppose I should work the problem even though I now prefer Kaffeine again.

>With that option the command would be "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u". But
>it doesn't change anything with the movie I have tried. Anyway, did you try
>if "-fs" gives a usable result?

Some time has passed since I made the last entry, and I am not sure I
remember what I did that screwed the MPlayer configuration up. I believe I
may have entered 'mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u'. In any event, when I
attempt to open a movie file in MPlayer, a box opens with the following:
Service '/home/steven/.local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' is
malformatted.

It was at this point that I retried Kaffeine; when I pressed F7, I got the
configuration I wanted plus the benefits I had missed when I stopped using
Kaffeine in favor of MPlayer.

I would like to restore MPlayer to a functioning player even though Kaffeine
has my preference once more. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Steven