Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

Default Video Corruption Problems Solved

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/?p=211

From the above link:
Good news to all Kubuntu and Fedora users. The cause for the video garbage
appearing whenever a new window is opened has been discovered. A custom patch
to xorg is causing the trouble. Now we can only hope that the distributions
will provide updates for xorg without this patch. If you don’t want to wait
that long and you are a Kubuntu user just add the following ppa to your
sources.list and upgrade your system:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamspain/ubuntu intrepid main

The interesting thing is that NVIDIA knew about this patch for at least one
month and started to work around it in their drivers. That’s great as it shows
that they care about KDE and want to improve the KDE experience. The bad is
that they did not communicate that a custom patch to xorg is responsible for
the problem. Neither in KDE’s nor in Ubuntu’s bug report there is a comment
from NVIDIA. And that’s sad. With a little bit more communication the problem
would have been solved much earlier.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album

Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/?p=211

From the above link:
[...]

wait a second! they actually knew what the problem was, and instead of
either solving it from xorg, or notifying them about it, they worked
around it?! lol
i'm using the beta driver, the 180.xx one, i have no screen corruption,
but lost the ability to hibernate, typing "sudo pm-hibernate" takes me
to a black screen, where it hangs there.
all in all, i might not switch to ATI after all, if, if nVidia keeps up
it's good work lately.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 12-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:59:13 am Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> wait a second! they actually knew what the problem was, and instead of
> either solving it from xorg, or notifying them about it, they worked
> around it?! lol

Yah, bit of a communication problem there ...

> i'm using the beta driver, the 180.xx one, i have no screen corruption,
> but lost the ability to hibernate, typing "sudo pm-hibernate" takes me
> to a black screen, where it hangs there.

Same here

> all in all, i might not switch to ATI after all, if, if nVidia keeps up
> it's good work lately.

Really impressed with Nvidia's latest stuff. Particularly with VDPAU - its the
only usable HD Video Acceleration API on linux and it works even better than
their windows ones.