Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default DVD authoring question

I downloaded a [legitimate] free movie in wmv format and want to convert it so I can burn it to
DVD and watch it on my TV.

I tried using ffmpeg with:
ffmpeg -i name_of_file.wmv -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 name_of_file.mpg

but although I got a file which is playable on my computer it won't play on our [TV] DVD player.

What must I do to get it to play on a regular DVD player?

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Steve Grace

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 18:06 +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I downloaded a [legitimate] free movie in wmv format and want to
> convert it so I can burn it to DVD and watch it on my TV.
>
> I tried using ffmpeg with:
> ffmpeg -i name_of_file.wmv -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3
> name_of_file.mpg
>
> but although I got a file which is playable on my computer it won't
> play on our [TV] DVD player.
>
> What must I do to get it to play on a regular DVD player?

It's possible that your DVD player doesn't support the type of media you
used. For example, a player might support DVD-R but not DVD+R. Check
your DVD player manual for media compatibility.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> I downloaded a [legitimate] free movie in wmv format and want to convert it so I can burn it to
> DVD and watch it on my TV.
>
> I tried using ffmpeg with:
> ffmpeg -i name_of_file.wmv -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 name_of_file.mpg
>
> but although I got a file which is playable on my computer it won't play on our [TV] DVD player.
>
> What must I do to get it to play on a regular DVD player?

You didn't mention that you converted the resulting MPEG into VOB
files and such in the VIDEO_TS directory. This is the file, index and
menu format that most DVD players are looking for.

Haven't done this in about a year. At that time, qdvdauthor was the
best. I also tried devede and another program whose name escapes me
at this time. devede was the easiest, but qdvdauthor the most mature.
A lot may have changed since then.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Nigel Ridley

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Nigel Ridley
> <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
>> I downloaded a [legitimate] free movie in wmv format and want to convert it so I can burn it to
>> DVD and watch it on my TV.
>>
>> I tried using ffmpeg with:
>> ffmpeg -i name_of_file.wmv -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 name_of_file.mpg
>>
>> but although I got a file which is playable on my computer it won't play on our [TV] DVD player.
>>
>> What must I do to get it to play on a regular DVD player?
>
> You didn't mention that you converted the resulting MPEG into VOB
> files and such in the VIDEO_TS directory. This is the file, index and
> menu format that most DVD players are looking for.
>
> Haven't done this in about a year. At that time, qdvdauthor was the
> best. I also tried devede and another program whose name escapes me
> at this time. devede was the easiest, but qdvdauthor the most mature.
> A lot may have changed since then.

I just tried DeVeDe and it produced a .iso image - is that right?

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> I just tried DeVeDe and it produced a .iso image - is that right?

Probably. I haven't used it in over a year. The ISO probably
contains the VIDEO_TS structure.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Nigel Ridley
> <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
>> I just tried DeVeDe and it produced a .iso image - is that right?
>
> Probably. I haven't used it in over a year. The ISO probably
> contains the VIDEO_TS structure.

which you can easily verify with isomaster, before burning.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Nigel Ridley

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Nigel Ridley
>> <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
>>> I just tried DeVeDe and it produced a .iso image - is that right?
>> Probably. I haven't used it in over a year. The ISO probably
>> contains the VIDEO_TS structure.
>>
> which you can easily verify with isomaster, before burning.
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

Thanks Eberhard - that was easy [using isomaster] - so yes, DeVeDe did the job just fine :-)

Blessings,

Nigel