Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Eric

Default KDE Won't Start, Gnome, XFCE will

Hi,

I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed and I assume XFCE was installed when I
installed Ubuntu. They both start and run fine on my PC. I also
installed KDE. KDE will not start. I have booted into a terminal even
and tried to get it to start from there. I get an error that says
"Nvidia OpenGL driver requires CPUs with SSE to run." This seems strange
to me since Gnome and XFCE will run.

Mandriva One which uses KDE 4.1 will also run on this same computer.

Any idea what the problem might be or why the Nvidia drivers are ok for
everything I've tried except KDE on Ubuntu? I would prefer to run KDE.

Eric

Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 21 December 2008 13:17, Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed and I assume XFCE was installed when I
> installed Ubuntu. They both start and run fine on my PC. I also
> installed KDE. KDE will not start. I have booted into a terminal even
> and tried to get it to start from there. I get an error that says
> "Nvidia OpenGL driver requires CPUs with SSE to run." This seems strange
> to me since Gnome and XFCE will run.
>
> Mandriva One which uses KDE 4.1 will also run on this same computer.
>
> Any idea what the problem might be or why the Nvidia drivers are ok for
> everything I've tried except KDE on Ubuntu? I would prefer to run KDE.
>
> Eric

I have both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu 8.10 installed. It could be that you are
missing some KDE components, which may explain why it won't start. I've just
fires up Kubuntu, and there is a list of my installed KDE packages below.

kdebase-bin
kdebase-data
kdebase-plasma
kdebase-runtime
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
kdebase-runtime-data
kdebase-runtime-data-common
kdebase-workspace-bin
kdebase-workspace-data
kdebase-workspace-libs4+5
kdebluetooth
kdegraphics-strigi-plugins
kde-icons-oxygen
kdelibs4c2a
kdelibs5
kdelibs5-data
kdelibs-bin
kdelibs-data
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
kdepassword
kdepim-kresources
kdepimlibs5
kdepimlibs-data
kdepim-strigi-plugins
kdepim-wizards
kdeplasma-addons
kdeplasma-addons-data
kdeplasma-addons-libs4
kde-printer-applet
kdesudo
kde-window-manager
kde-zeroconf
kdf
kdm (may not need that, as you have gdm as display manager)

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Eric

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008 13:17, Eric wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed and I assume XFCE was installed when I
>> installed Ubuntu. They both start and run fine on my PC. I also
>> installed KDE. KDE will not start. I have booted into a terminal even
>> and tried to get it to start from there. I get an error that says
>> "Nvidia OpenGL driver requires CPUs with SSE to run." This seems strange
>> to me since Gnome and XFCE will run.
>>
>> Mandriva One which uses KDE 4.1 will also run on this same computer.
>>
>> Any idea what the problem might be or why the Nvidia drivers are ok for
>> everything I've tried except KDE on Ubuntu? I would prefer to run KDE.
>>
>> Eric
>
> I have both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu 8.10 installed. It could be that you are
> missing some KDE components, which may explain why it won't start. I've just
> fires up Kubuntu, and there is a list of my installed KDE packages below.
>
> kdebase-bin
> kdebase-data
> kdebase-plasma
> kdebase-runtime
> kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
> kdebase-runtime-data
> kdebase-runtime-data-common
> kdebase-workspace-bin
> kdebase-workspace-data
> kdebase-workspace-libs4+5
> kdebluetooth
> kdegraphics-strigi-plugins
> kde-icons-oxygen
> kdelibs4c2a
> kdelibs5
> kdelibs5-data
> kdelibs-bin
> kdelibs-data
> kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
> kdepassword
> kdepim-kresources
> kdepimlibs5
> kdepimlibs-data
> kdepim-strigi-plugins
> kdepim-wizards
> kdeplasma-addons
> kdeplasma-addons-data
> kdeplasma-addons-libs4
> kde-printer-applet
> kdesudo
> kde-window-manager
> kde-zeroconf
> kdf
> kdm (may not need that, as you have gdm as display manager)
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Thanks Nigel. I'll check to see if I have this stuff installed.

Eric