Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Strange permissions on mounted dvd (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/215554-strange-permissions-mounted-dvd.html)

"Jonas Norlander" 12-20-2008 07:33 PM

Strange permissions on mounted dvd
 
Hi!

I have installed Intrepid on a friends computer (trying to convert him).
But i have problem with the permissions on mounted dvd/cd. It looks to
be HAL related but i have no idea where to go from here. I hoping for
the community for a fast fix before he gives up and reinstalling
Windows XP.

Permissions in /media before and after a DVD is mounted. Makes no
difference if i mount it with mount from a terminal or from dolphine.

$ ls -l /media/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom0

$ ls -l /media/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
dr--r--r-- 30 4294967295 4294967295 3024 2008-08-02 11:17 cdrom0

See that strange owner and group id on the mountpoint?

$ LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
Easy Listening: Permission denied
ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/A Tribute To Abba (metal): Permission denied
<snip>
?????????? ? ? ? ? ? 20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
Easy Listening
?????????? ? ? ? ? ? A Tribute To Abba (metal)

No problems as root:
$ sudo LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
total 76
dr--r--r-- 2 4294967295 4294967295 2736 Jul 30 00:16 20 Golden Love
Songs Vol.1 (2007) - Easy Listening
dr--r--r-- 2 4294967295 4294967295 1576 May 24 2008 A Tribute To Abba (metal)

Output from mount for the dvd:
/dev/scd0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8,user=stefan)

$ grep stefan /etc/passwd
stefan:x:1000:1000:Stefan Gjersvold:/home/stefan:/bin/bash

$ groups stefan
stefan adm dialout cdrom audio video plugdev users scanner lpadmin
admin sambashare

I have searched the net and ubuntu bugs but no clues. I don't know
where to go from here. Has someone seen something like this before or
know what the cause could be?

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Jonas Norlander" 12-23-2008 07:55 AM

Strange permissions on mounted dvd
 
2008/12/20 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> I have installed Intrepid on a friends computer (trying to convert him).
> But i have problem with the permissions on mounted dvd/cd. It looks to
> be HAL related but i have no idea where to go from here. I hoping for
> the community for a fast fix before he gives up and reinstalling
> Windows XP.
>
> Permissions in /media before and after a DVD is mounted. Makes no
> difference if i mount it with mount from a terminal or from dolphine.
>
> $ ls -l /media/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom0
>
> $ ls -l /media/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
> dr--r--r-- 30 4294967295 4294967295 3024 2008-08-02 11:17 cdrom0
>
> See that strange owner and group id on the mountpoint?
>
> $ LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
> Easy Listening: Permission denied
> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/A Tribute To Abba (metal): Permission denied
> <snip>
> ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? 20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
> Easy Listening
> ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? A Tribute To Abba (metal)
>
> No problems as root:
> $ sudo LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
> total 76
> dr--r--r-- 2 4294967295 4294967295 2736 Jul 30 00:16 20 Golden Love
> Songs Vol.1 (2007) - Easy Listening
> dr--r--r-- 2 4294967295 4294967295 1576 May 24 2008 A Tribute To Abba (metal)
>
> Output from mount for the dvd:
> /dev/scd0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8,user=stefan)
>
> $ grep stefan /etc/passwd
> stefan:x:1000:1000:Stefan Gjersvold:/home/stefan:/bin/bash
>
> $ groups stefan
> stefan adm dialout cdrom audio video plugdev users scanner lpadmin
> admin sambashare
>
> I have searched the net and ubuntu bugs but no clues. I don't know
> where to go from here. Has someone seen something like this before or
> know what the cause could be?
>
> / Jonas
>

I was really hoping that someone had a solution or an idea how to "debug" this?

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 12-23-2008 11:41 PM

Strange permissions on mounted dvd
 
Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/12/20 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:

>> $ ls -l /media/
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom -> cdrom0
>> dr--r--r-- 30 4294967295 4294967295 3024 2008-08-02 11:17 cdrom0
>>
>> See that strange owner and group id on the mountpoint?
>>
>> $ LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
>> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
>> Easy Listening: Permission denied
>> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/A Tribute To Abba (metal): Permission
>> denied <snip>

C'mon, Jonas - do you really expect us to HELP you listen to Abba? Friends
don't let friends do Abba :-)

I just read a book by John Sandford (Heat Lightning?), where the character
is talking to somebody about CIA conspiracies. The second guy is worried
that maybe the first _is_ actually from the CIA, and is told "we don't need
to trap you, we've already planted bugs in all your fillings", "Oh - that's
why I keep hearing old Abba songs?", "No way - even we're not that nasty!"

>> $ groups stefan
>> stefan adm dialout cdrom audio video plugdev users scanner lpadmin
>> admin sambashare
>>
>> I have searched the net and ubuntu bugs but no clues. I don't know
>> where to go from here. Has someone seen something like this before or
>> know what the cause could be?

I _have_ seen things like this before. Mostly they happen when somebody
copies filesystems from one machine to another, but they can also happen if a
user/group has been deleted.

Check that he actually has a group "cdrom". If not, it's easy - just create
"cdrom" as group 30 (not that I really think it should be owned by cdrom -
mine has root - but I'm sure it would work).

if that doesn't work, look in /etc/udev/rules.d for anything to do with
cdrom. This is where the symlink from cdrom to cdrom0 and the permissions
should all be being set.

I have to admit: "A Tribute To Abba (metal)" sounds intriguing!


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 12-24-2008 06:55 AM

Strange permissions on mounted dvd
 
Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > 2008/12/20 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> >> $ ls -l /media/
> >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-20 19:06 cdrom ->
> >> cdrom0 dr--r--r-- 30 4294967295 4294967295 3024 2008-08-02 11:17
> >> cdrom0
> >>
> >> See that strange owner and group id on the mountpoint?
> >>
> >> $ LANG=C ls -l /media/cdrom0/
> >> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/20 Golden Love Songs Vol.1 (2007) -
> >> Easy Listening: Permission denied
> >> ls: cannot access /media/cdrom0/A Tribute To Abba (metal):
> >> Permission denied <snip>
>
> C'mon, Jonas - do you really expect us to HELP you listen to Abba?
> Friends don't let friends do Abba :-)

:)

> I _have_ seen things like this before. Mostly they happen when
> somebody copies filesystems from one machine to another, but they can
> also happen if a user/group has been deleted.
>
> Check that he actually has a group "cdrom". If not, it's easy - just
> create "cdrom" as group 30 (not that I really think it should be owned
> by cdrom - mine has root - but I'm sure it would work).
>
> if that doesn't work, look in /etc/udev/rules.d for anything to do with
> cdrom. This is where the symlink from cdrom to cdrom0 and the
> permissions should all be being set.

The problem seems to be wrong permissions on the DVD media, not from udev.
I have checked the commercial DVDs I have and a home made one (made with
DeVeDe). They all have the same UID/GID 4294967295/4294967295 which is
just the highest available 32 bit unsigned integer (2^32-1). As there is
no user known with that UID/GID, ls just shows the number. But all my
DVDs had permissions dr-xr-xr-x not dr--r--r--. As root doesn't care
about the missing x bit for directories, the "sudo ls" command was
successful. Now the question is what type of DVD is it? Is it a
commercial one or home made? If it is home made, what program was used to
create it?


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Jonas Norlander" 12-24-2008 09:35 PM

Strange permissions on mounted dvd
 
2008/12/24 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
> The problem seems to be wrong permissions on the DVD media, not from udev.
> I have checked the commercial DVDs I have and a home made one (made with
> DeVeDe). They all have the same UID/GID 4294967295/4294967295 which is
> just the highest available 32 bit unsigned integer (2^32-1). As there is
> no user known with that UID/GID, ls just shows the number. But all my
> DVDs had permissions dr-xr-xr-x not dr--r--r--. As root doesn't care
> about the missing x bit for directories, the "sudo ls" command was
> successful. Now the question is what type of DVD is it? Is it a
> commercial one or home made? If it is home made, what program was used to
> create it?
>

I tested with some home burned data DVD he got (so for the record the
ABBA album was not mine) with mp3 files on it and a audio CD. There
where burned with Roxio on Windows XP. And all got the same permission
problem.

I checked some different DVD's on my computer and for commercial DVD
movies i got the 4294967295 uid/gid, all other, like home made DVD
movies and data DVD got root as uid/gid for the mountpoint and the
files and dirs on the DVD. For all the different DVD's the permissions
on the mounted DVD is like:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1478299476 2005-10-14 23:11 0compressed.zip
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-10-14 23:12 AutoRun

and the mount options is:
/dev/scd0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8,user=jonas)

As far as i understand iso9660 and UDF don't use file permissions if
you don't use the Rock Ridge extensions and don't thinks thats likely.
How can I see if a DVD uses Rock Ridge? For file systems that don't
have file permissions it should be "emulated" in the kernel and
changed with the mount options, right?

I don't think it has anything to do with the DVD media or how it's
burned. I think it has something to do with HAL or mount and some
options passed to those but why and what?.

Thanks for answering my mail.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.