Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Ray Burke

Default re modem usb stick prepaid broadband

Does anyone out there know of the use of a modem usb stick for prepaid for

broadband. Can it be used for Kubuntu and if can be configured to run both

xp pro and Kubuntu as have dual boot system

*

ray

Sell your car for just $40 at CarPoint.com.au It's simple!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Ray Burke <rayburke30@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone out there know of the use of a modem usb stick for prepaid for
> broadband. Can it be used for Kubuntu and if can be configured to run both
> xp pro and Kubuntu as have dual boot system

Yes. Use pppd to establish the connection. I don't know the KDE gui,
but I'm sure there is one.

You don't need to do anything for it to work under XP as well. Just
use ppp dial up networking.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Old 12-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Ray Burke

I have been told by all 4 who supply the stick (telstra,DoDo,optus and 3)
for the prepaid broadband that is not compatable for linux, so what your response

to that, by just changing the PPPd(how?) will solve this problem, as dont want to comit

not knowing if I cant connect??????

*

ray

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
lanzen

On Sunday 21 December 2008 07:27:09 Ray Burke wrote:

> I have been told by all 4 who supply the stick (telstra,DoDo,optus and
> 3)for the prepaid broadband that is not compatable for linux, so what your
> response to that, by just changing the PPPd(how?) will solve this problem,
> as dont want to comit not knowing if I cant connect??????

What is the name of the stick you're planning to use?

In intrepid I successfully use a huawei E169. It is recognized and easily set
up in kneworkmanager (or networkmanager applet in gnome) as new connection ->
Broad Band.

You may also use utmsmon in Hardy. Also wvdial, of course, works.

3 works here (Italy). I'm using a different provider, but people say it works
fine.

--
lanzen

Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Ray Burke <rayburke30@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been told by all 4 who supply the stick (telstra,DoDo,optus and 3)
> for the prepaid broadband that is not compatable for linux, so what your
> response
> to that, by just changing the PPPd(how?) will solve this problem, as dont
> want to comit
> not knowing if I cant connect??????

In my experience, when companies say their products don't work with
Linux, it usually means that (1) they don't know, (2) that they don't
want to train their support staff to troubleshoot Linux to serve a
relative minority of users. While some hardware products which use
parts of windows to save money on firmware truly don't work with
Linux, this is rare these days.

I have never tried doing it with Kubuntu, but pppd and gnome-ppp
worked fine for me on my Ubuntu laptop. There are instructions for
setting up these up if you google for them.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Billie Walsh

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Ray Burke <rayburke30@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been told by all 4 who supply the stick (telstra,DoDo,optus and 3)
>> for the prepaid broadband that is not compatable for linux, so what your
>> response
>> to that, by just changing the PPPd(how?) will solve this problem, as dont
>> want to comit
>> not knowing if I cant connect??????

In our experience [ Good ol' USofA and ATT, Sprint, et.al. ] the usb
stick devices suck for connectivity. The only ones we've had any luck
with are either the PCMCIA or PCExpress ones. You can buy adapter cards
to use them in desktop machines, we did. We even have a USB adapter to
use our PCExpress with our Eeepc's. [ no PCMCIA or PCExpress slots ]

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Ray Burke

Lanzen

*

I am not sure which to use either 3/telstra/DoDo/Virgin/optus/ Vodafone and this is why Iam asking

to find out if any other have experienced the connection with these as live in Bendigo

Asutralia?????

*

ray

Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

> In our experience [ Good ol' USofA and ATT, Sprint, et.al. ] the usb
> stick devices suck for connectivity. The only ones we've had any luck
> with are either the PCMCIA or PCExpress ones. You can buy adapter cards
> to use them in desktop machines, we did. We even have a USB adapter to
> use our PCExpress with our Eeepc's. [ no PCMCIA or PCExpress slots ]

I have had good luck with the Verizon USB stick and the eee, using
ubuntu-eee 8.04 and gnome-ppp and pppd.

Your mileage may vary.