Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Knapp

Default booting to ram

Can Kubuntu be set up to boot to ram? I am talking about a fulling
installed system not a live disk.
Could the bin dir be put in a ram disk (can you make a ram disk?) and
then get program boot speeds like you do from something like Damn
Small Linux? I have 2g of ram and for 30$ could get another 2g for a
total of 4g (64 bit system btw). My system seems to always run on like
20% of the ram I have anyway.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 AM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Knapp wrote:

Can Kubuntu be set up to boot to ram? I am talking about a fulling
installed system not a live disk.
Could the bin dir be put in a ram disk (can you make a ram disk?) and
then get program boot speeds like you do from something like Damn
Small Linux? I have 2g of ram and for 30$ could get another 2g for a
total of 4g (64 bit system btw). My system seems to always run on like
20% of the ram I have anyway.

very good question, i'd like to know that as well. i can increase my RAM
pretty easily, and this can speed up things pretty much

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Steven Vollom

On Saturday 20 December 2008 8:41:18 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
> > Can Kubuntu be set up to boot to ram? I am talking about a fulling
> > installed system not a live disk.
> > Could the bin dir be put in a ram disk (can you make a ram disk?) and
> > then get program boot speeds like you do from something like Damn
> > Small Linux? I have 2g of ram and for 30$ could get another 2g for a
> > total of 4g (64 bit system btw). My system seems to always run on like
> > 20% of the ram I have anyway.
>
> very good question, i'd like to know that as well. i can increase my RAM
> pretty easily, and this can speed up things pretty much

Dear Knapp,

You may change the whole system with that idea. If it works, it is genius.
It would remove the biggest pain in the neck for the whole industry of users.
Even if it doesn't work, what a great idea. If I made motherboards, I would
build a designated boot slot and corner the market.

Cudos, Cheers!, Ciao Bello, and Cordially,

Steven

Old 12-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Paul Rumelhart

Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> Can Kubuntu be set up to boot to ram? I am talking about a fulling
>> installed system not a live disk.
>> Could the bin dir be put in a ram disk (can you make a ram disk?) and
>> then get program boot speeds like you do from something like Damn
>> Small Linux? I have 2g of ram and for 30$ could get another 2g for a
>> total of 4g (64 bit system btw). My system seems to always run on like
>> 20% of the ram I have anyway.
>>

> very good question, i'd like to know that as well. i can increase my
> RAM pretty easily, and this can speed up things pretty much

This wiki page came up in a search, on Ubuntu's own site. I haven't
tried this, but it looks like it's all ready to go.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootToRAM

Paul

Old 12-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Knapp

I found this for making a ram disk.
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html

So then the next step is to see what needs to be on that ram disk. Any
ideas anyone?
Anything that is loaded with the load of FF would be good, I would think.
Bin and sbin?
Lib? (way to big!!) maybe just some of it?
lib32?
lib64?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Billie Walsh

Knapp wrote:
> I found this for making a ram disk.
> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html
>
> So then the next step is to see what needs to be on that ram disk. Any
> ideas anyone?
> Anything that is loaded with the load of FF would be good, I would think.
> Bin and sbin?
> Lib? (way to big!!) maybe just some of it?
> lib32?
> lib64?

All this talk of ramdisks reminded me of something I did back in the
dark ages of computers. I had a Leading Edge 8088XT [ 12MHz in Turbo
mode ]. The memory was maxed out but I found something called a Rampat
board [ an AT add on board with four memory slots ]. I had 100 meg of
ram on it [ still got it around here somewhere ]. The computer couldn't
access it directly, even with Himem, so I used it as a ramdisk. My
menu.bat would copy the entire program over to the ramdisk [ remember -
this was back in the days when most programs fit on a 5.25 floppy - and
they didn't spread bits and pieces all over the hard drive ] and execute
it from there. Those OLD programs would fairly fly. Games were a _lot_
more fun. On exit the bat file would copy any changed files back to the
hard drive and remove the program from the ramdisk ready for the next
program. At a guess I think using ramdisk doubled, or even tripled, the
speed of program execution for programs that required a lot of disk
read/write.

It would be a great idea if someone could make a board like that old
Rampat board for modern memory. OR, if you can afford one, use one of
the new _very_ large SD cards.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Knapp wrote:

I found this for making a ram disk.
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html

So then the next step is to see what needs to be on that ram disk. Any
ideas anyone?
Anything that is loaded with the load of FF would be good, I would think.
Bin and sbin?
Lib? (way to big!!) maybe just some of it?
lib32?
lib64?

i read the link posted before in this thread, if u use squashfs fro the
ram disk, it gets compressed a lot, and this would provide loads of
space, and you'd still have a great performance boost, since
decompressing and reading from a ram mounted squashfs system is very fast.
firefox writes a lot to ~/.mozilla , i'm not sure how much exactly is
written there, but if it's too too much, having that in ram is helpful,
but you would lose ur new bookmarks and history with every shutdown

Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Knapp

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Willy K. Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>>
>> I found this for making a ram disk.
>> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html
>>
>> So then the next step is to see what needs to be on that ram disk. Any
>> ideas anyone?
>> Anything that is loaded with the load of FF would be good, I would think.
>> Bin and sbin?
>> Lib? (way to big!!) maybe just some of it?
>> lib32?
>> lib64?
>>

> i read the link posted before in this thread, if u use squashfs fro the ram
> disk, it gets compressed a lot, and this would provide loads of space, and
> you'd still have a great performance boost, since decompressing and reading
> from a ram mounted squashfs system is very fast.
> firefox writes a lot to ~/.mozilla , i'm not sure how much exactly is
> written there, but if it's too too much, having that in ram is helpful, but
> you would lose ur new bookmarks and history with every shutdown
>
> --
> Willy K. Hamra

That could be avoided if we ran a script to update it at closedown.