Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Kontact crasch on startup

Hi,

Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
I have the following problem.
Kontact crasches each time when i startup.

This is what i get;
Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb4af86c0 (LWP 6075)):
[KCrash Handler]
#6 0xb8020430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#7 0xb5894880 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#8 0xb5896248 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#9 0xb5b3a795 in qt_message_output () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#10 0xb5b3a872 in qFatal () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#11 0xb5b3a915 in qt_assert () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#12 0xb6f0408e in KDBusServiceStarter::KDBusServiceStarter () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.5
#13 0xb78c196c in Kontact::MainWindow::MainWindow () from /usr/lib/libkontactprivate.so.4
#14 0x0804acee in _start ()

Does anyone have an idea to resolve this?

Thx Karl,

Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Nils Kassube

karl.vanwynsberghe@telenet.be wrote:
> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> I have the following problem.
> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>
> This is what i get;
> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a
look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it
here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

Nils

Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Karl Vanwynsberghe

On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:49:20 Nils Kassube wrote:

> karl.vanwynsberghe@telenet.be wrote:

> > Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...

> > I have the following problem.

> > Kontact crasches each time when i startup.

> > This is what i get;

> > Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

> Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a

> look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a

> file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home

> directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that

> file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it

> here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

> Nils

i' ve tried this but there is no change...

Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> karl.vanwynsberghe@telenet.be wrote:
>> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
>> I have the following problem.
>> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>>
>> This is what i get;
>> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
>
> Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take
> a look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a
> file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home
> directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that
> file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check
> it here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback, because
we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the
traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
Then try starting that program on its own.
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Nils Kassube

Derek Broughton wrote:
> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback, because
> we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the
> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
> Then try starting that program on its own.

Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it because I
could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you think kmail
was the real culprit.

Nils

Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
"D. R. Evans"

karl.vanwynsberghe@telenet.be said the following at 12/20/2008 11:41 AM :
> Hi,
>
> Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...
> I have the following problem.
> Kontact crasches each time when i startup.
>
> This is what i get;
> Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT
>
> Thread 1 (Thread 0xb4af86c0 (LWP 6075)):
> [KCrash Handler]
> #6 0xb8020430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> #7 0xb5894880 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #8 0xb5896248 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #9 0xb5b3a795 in qt_message_output () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #10 0xb5b3a872 in qFatal () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #11 0xb5b3a915 in qt_assert () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
> #12 0xb6f0408e in KDBusServiceStarter::KDBusServiceStarter () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.5
> #13 0xb78c196c in Kontact::MainWindow::MainWindow () from /usr/lib/libkontactprivate.so.4
> #14 0x0804acee in _start ()
>
> Does anyone have an idea to resolve this?

Please file a bug report on bugs.kde.org if you haven't already done that.

Doc

Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,
>> because
>> we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the
>> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
>> Then try starting that program on its own.
>
> Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
> because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you
> think kmail was the real culprit.

Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think it's kmail,
after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the most used
kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for me..

If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further. As it is, it does appear
to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have been
started yet
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,
>>> because
>>> we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the
>>> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).
>>> Then try starting that program on its own.
>>
>> Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
>> because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you
>> think kmail was the real culprit.
>
> Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think
> it's kmail,
> after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the most
> used kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for
> me..
>
> If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further. As it is, it does
> appear to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have
> been started yet

hmmm. That said, it's probably still not a bad idea to try opening the
individual komponents to see if any of them have the same problem.
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Karl Vanwynsberghe

On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:

> > Derek Broughton wrote:

> >> it's hard to say without at least a little bit of a traceback,

> >> because

> >> we can't see which kontact component is crashing. Look at the

> >> traceback, see what programs are involved (most likely kmail, ime).

> >> Then try starting that program on its own.

> > Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it

> > because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why you

> > think kmail was the real culprit.

> Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think it's

> kmail, after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's probably the

> most used kontact component and it's certainly the one that breaks most for

> me..

> If that trace _isn't_ complete, look further. As it is, it does appear

> to be early in initialization, and perhaps no components have been

> started yet

> --

> derek

I don't really know what is happening...

I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser don't.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Nils Kassube wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the traceback was in the original mail. I didn't quote it
> > > because I could only see kontact mentioned. I'd like to know why
> > > you think kmail was the real culprit.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think
> > it's kmail, after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's
> > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
> > that breaks most for me..

That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long ago.

> I don't really know what is happening...
> I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser
> don't.

Then look for the configuration files for kadressbook and korganizer. It
might be $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc and
$HOME/.kde/share/config/korganizerrc but maybe there are others as well.
Move those files away from the directory and try to start the individual
applications.

Nils