Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Ric Moore

Default Kontact crasch on startup

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 20:23 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:

> > > Sorry, I didn't see one - I do now. If it's complete, I don't think
> > > it's kmail, after all. I just tend to blame kmail because it's
> > > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
> > > that breaks most for me..
>
> That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long ago.
>
> > I don't really know what is happening...
> > I can start Kmail and Akregator,.. Kontact, Kadressbook and KOrganiser
> > don't.
>
> Then look for the configuration files for kadressbook and korganizer. It
> might be $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc and
> $HOME/.kde/share/config/korganizerrc but maybe there are others as well.
> Move those files away from the directory and try to start the individual
> applications.

I thought kaddressbook hasn't gotten to the kde4 stage yet?

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
>> On Monday 22 December 2008 18:49:18 Derek Broughton wrote:

>> > I just tend to blame kmail because it's
>> > probably the most used kontact component and it's certainly the one
>> > that breaks most for me..
>
> That makes sense. I remember Kmail crashes as well but that was long
> ago.

They're back in 4.1 (though actually I can make knode crash easily, but
now I know better than to play with knode filters). KMail still doesn't
handle IMAP as well as it should and now it crashes occasionally on my
IMAP folders.
--
derek

Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Karl Vanwynsberghe

On Sunday 21 December 2008 19:17:00 Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:

> On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:49:20 Nils Kassube wrote:

> > karl.vanwynsberghe@telenet.be wrote:

> > > Using KDE4.2 (beta2)...

> > > I have the following problem.

> > > Kontact crasches each time when i startup.

> > > This is what i get;

> > > Programma: Kontact (kontact), signaal SIGABRT

> > Maybe there is a problem with the configuration file for kontact. Take a

> > look at the directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config". There should be a

> > file "kontactrc". Move that file to another location (e.g. your home

> > directory) as a backup in case there is some valuable setting in that

> > file. Then restart kontact - does it still crash? BTW: I can't check it

> > here because I'm not yet using KDE4.

> > Nils

> i' ve tried this but there is no change...

Can i remove the config folder completely?

Will the files be created again?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Vanwynsberghe wrote:
> Can i remove the config folder completely?
> Will the files be created again?

Yes. However in the .kde folder there are also your stored emails and
possibly other valuable data. Therefore I would suggest you rename the
folder instead of removing it. Then you still have a chance to later
retrieve those things you need.

Nils