Old 12-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Art Alexion

Default Kmenu and KDE4

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 2:47:46 am John L Fjellstad wrote:
> And I might listen to you and Derek and Knapp more than
> someone who just pop in here and give an opinion and disappear. But then
> again, I hang out here (even though I don't post much) so I 'know' you
> guys from your posts. *

Exactly my point.

> A developer is probably hanging out at their
> developer and user lists (say KDE-developer and KDE-user or whatever),
> and might get a link to some random user lists where my name shows
> up. At that point, my opnion doesn't rank any higher than any other Joe
> Random poster.

Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers OUGHT to
monitor lists concerning their projects.

Some development teams seem to designate one from the team to monitor and
participate in the lists. I believe this is a good practice.

> BTW. Happy Holidays everybody :-)

Thank you, and to you and yours as well!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Knapp

> Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers OUGHT to
> monitor lists concerning their projects.
>
> Some development teams seem to designate one from the team to monitor and
> participate in the lists. I believe this is a good practice.
>

>> BTW. Happy Holidays everybody :-)
>
> Thank you, and to you and yours as well!

I agree but what if that person has biases? Perhaps more watching a
list would be better or one that gives a summery that does not edit
out oppinions or ideas but just repetition? Any way, good idea.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Knapp

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers OUGHT to
>> monitor lists concerning their projects.
>>
>> Some development teams seem to designate one from the team to monitor and
>> participate in the lists. I believe this is a good practice.
>>

>>> BTW. Happy Holidays everybody :-)
>>
>> Thank you, and to you and yours as well!
>
> I agree but what if that person has biases? Perhaps more watching a
> list would be better or one that gives a summery that does not edit
> out opinions or ideas but just repetition? Any way, good idea.

Sorry but one other thought. This watcher does not need to be a dev.
He could be anyone that wants to help and all he does is post weekly
summaries for the devs to read. That way you do not use the
programming time of a dev.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 2:47:46 am John L Fjellstad wrote:
>> > Yes, and my point is that if you can't afford scientific market
>> > research, you have to use tools, and that is to analyze the
>> > complaints according to coherence and reputation of the complainer.
>>
>> What reputation? We're talking about the Internet. Now, someone
>> like Art and Derek might be known here, but they are probably just a
>> random guy on the KDE lists.

Once upon a time, I was pretty noticeable on kdepim (I think that's
probably where I first ran across Art), but otherwise you're right - I
don't hang out on KDE lists. But the whole problem with KDE4 is a
_distro_ problem, not a KDE one. KDE4 isn't ready for inclusion in
Kubuntu, and most other distros using KDE would seem to agree.

--
derek

Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 2:47:46 am John L Fjellstad wrote:

>> A developer is probably hanging out at their
>> developer and user lists (say KDE-developer and KDE-user or
>> whatever), and might get a link to some random user lists where my
>> name shows up. At that point, my opnion doesn't rank any higher than
>> any other Joe Random poster.
>
> Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers
> OUGHT to monitor lists concerning their projects.

In this case, though, the "developers" we're talking about are largely
Kubuntu's packagers. They're the people who decided KDE4 was ready to
put into a stable release - and they're the people who should be
monitoring this list.
--
derek

Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Derek Broughton

Knapp wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Sorry replying on my phone
>> I was not implyinh that non lts releases are testing... Let me go
>> back to another question then what is the difference between a stable
>> and non stable release??? 8.10 bis very stable on my Dell Lattitude

The way Ubuntu works, I expect any _release_ to be stable. Jaunty
Jiraffe (9.04) is not stable. By May, it will be a stable release.

> I would say that unstable has known bugs that crash the system. Stable
> has no known bugs that can take out the system and perhaps all the
> programs are stable as well, IE not crashing.

And yet there are known (even fixed upstream) bugs that are not fixed in
Intrepid, and _will_ not be fixed in the next release.
--
derek

Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Knapp

> But the whole problem with KDE4 is a
> _distro_ problem, not a KDE one. KDE4 isn't ready for inclusion in
> Kubuntu, and most other distros using KDE would seem to agree.

> In this case, though, the "developers" we're talking about are largely
> Kubuntu's packagers. They're the people who decided KDE4 was ready to
> put into a stable release - and they're the people who should be
> monitoring this list.
> --
> derek

I could not agree more!! (but there are other distro's with kde4)

I thought that 8.04 was perfect with KDE4 as an option. It should have
stayed that way until 4 and it's software packages were stable or in
some cases even written.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Art Alexion

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 15:53:59 Knapp wrote:
> > Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers OUGHT
> > to monitor lists concerning their projects.
> >
> > Some development teams seem to designate one from the team to monitor and
> > participate in the lists. *I believe this is a good practice.
> >

> I agree but what if that person has biases?

EVERYONE has biases. Nonetheless, someone should have their nose to the
ground.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Art Alexion

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 17:15:04 Derek Broughton wrote:
> In this case, though, the "developers" we're talking about are largely
> Kubuntu's packagers. *They're the people who decided KDE4 was ready to
> put into a stable release - and they're the people who should be
> monitoring this list.

Jonathan Riddel USED to monitor this list, and occasionally post. He may
still monitor it, but post rarely.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 15:53:59 Knapp wrote:
>> > Which I think was the point of others who suggested that developers OUGHT
>> > to monitor lists concerning their projects.
>> >
>> > Some development teams seem to designate one from the team to monitor and
>> > participate in the lists. I believe this is a good practice.
>> >

>> I agree but what if that person has biases?
>
> EVERYONE has biases. Nonetheless, someone should have their nose to the
> ground.

Agreed. But there are the people that acknowledge this and do there
best to avoid them like good scientists should and then those that
will edit and change things just to promote their ideas. I was
thinking about the later type.