Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Derek Broughton

Default Kmenu and KDE4

Jonathan Jesse wrote:

>> I still think that KDE4 might be ready for Kubuntu by the time a new
>> stable release is due out.
>>
> I am confused as to what you mean by a stable release? Are you
> confusing
> the terms Long Term Support (LTS) with stable? 8.10 and 8.04 were not
> expected to be LTS'd for Kubuntu. Don't know what the discussion for
> the next LTS is or what version # that would be.

I really wish people would stop talking about non-LTS releases as if
they were testing platforms. That was NEVER Ubuntu's plan. All
releases are supposed to be _stable_, and the reason we jumped on the
bandwagon instead of sticking to Debian was that we were sick of the
time between stable releases. The next LTS for Kubuntu should be in
2010, but there should be two more _stable_ releases next year. It
would be kind of nice if they were...
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Derek Broughton

Clay Weber wrote:

> On Sat December 20 2008 7:11:26 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Is there _really_ such a thing as a "non-contributing user".
>
> My wife makes one

Really? If she complains about something to you, do _you_ do something
about it (even if it's only to mention it here?).
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 21 December 2008 20:05:32 Derek Broughton wrote:
> fwiw, I rather like kickoff - the only thing wrong with it is that you
> shouldn't have to click on anything to go down a level in the menu.

IMO, all menus are more clicks than one should have to do for apps they use
daily. Menus should only act as an archive for launching programs you rarely
use. Launching a program should be a one click exercise. I suppose
the "favorites" menu that opens with Kickoff is some acknowledgment of this,
but it is still one click too many. The rest of Kickoff takes the too many
clicks complaint to the absurd extreme. But that's just for me, and people
who work like me.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 21 December 2008 20:15:25 Derek Broughton wrote:
> More than anything else,
> the problem with KDE4 seems to be that there are NO developers who seem
> willing to talk to users in a forum like this.

Now that you mention it, almost all of the user lists that I am on with heavy
developer participation (kdepim-user, tellico-use and kmymoney2-user) are all
for apps that aren't KDE4 yet. Odd.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Billie Walsh

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>

>> Users do not drive innovation. If it was left entirely to users
>> interfaces would *never* change. Sometimes developers have to role the
>> dice and take a dive into the unknown.
>>

> That's true, but the developers still have to be willing to listen to
> the users, and separate out the "I hate this because I hate change"
> complaints from the "I hate this because it's unintuitive, complicated,
> and is giving me repetitive strain injuries". More than anything else,
> the problem with KDE4 seems to be that there are NO developers who seem
> willing to talk to users in a forum like this.

I wonder if it's true that the devs don't monitor lists like this. How
could we, the disgruntled masses, ever know. After all, would you be
willing to tell those that are very upset with KDE 4.x that your the
guy/gal that did it? *<]D

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Clay Weber

On Sun December 21 2008 8:21:24 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Sat December 20 2008 7:11:26 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> >> Is there _really_ such a thing as a "non-contributing user".
> >
> > My wife makes one
>
> Really? If she complains about something to you, do _you_ do something
> about it (even if it's only to mention it here?).
> --
> derek

Honestly, she has figured out everything that she has wanted to do on her own,
she is not a heavy user, just email, web browsing, simple games and the like.
So I do have it easy, really

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Billie Walsh

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008 20:05:32 Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> fwiw, I rather like kickoff - the only thing wrong with it is that you
>> shouldn't have to click on anything to go down a level in the menu.
>>

> IMO, all menus are more clicks than one should have to do for apps they use
> daily. Menus should only act as an archive for launching programs you rarely
> use. Launching a program should be a one click exercise. I suppose
> the "favorites" menu that opens with Kickoff is some acknowledgment of this,
> but it is still one click too many. The rest of Kickoff takes the too many
> clicks complaint to the absurd extreme. But that's just for me, and people
> who work like me.

That's why the Quick Launch applet is/was one of my favorites in KDE
3.x. The programs that I use everyday immediately available on the task
bar one click away.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Alan Dacey

>Clay Weber wrote:
> . . .
> Honestly, she has figured out everything that she has wanted to do on her own,
> she is not a heavy user, just email, web browsing, simple games and the like.
> So I do have it easy, really

You're a lucky man. A lucky man.

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Derek Broughton

Billie Walsh wrote:

> I wonder if it's true that the devs don't monitor lists like this.

It may not be true - but my complaint is that they won't actually
discuss KDE4 with us, here, whether they're reading the list or not.

> How
> could we, the disgruntled masses, ever know. After all, would you be
> willing to tell those that are very upset with KDE 4.x that your the
> guy/gal that did it? *<]D

Actually yes - I'm at a safe remove :-) But really, I think people
would be a lot happier if we thought anybody was paying attention and
really cared about our problems.
--
derek

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
John L Fjellstad

Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> writes:

> They are, but that doesn't alter the fact that if large numbers of users
> are screaming, something is very wrong. Sort of sounds like putting
> KDE4 into Kubuntu 8.10...

A large number of users were complaining about the kcontrol. Now that
KDE4 changed to a kubuntu-like control panel, you still hear complaints
about the new control panel.

People complained about konqueror (jack of trades, master of none). KDE
pulled out the file management part, and now people are complaining
about that.

One thing is certain: There will always be people complaining about
everything you do or don't do.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes