Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Kmenu and KDE4

Following the link given by Joe in his thread I found this golden nugget:

> What's the deal with the K menu? It's big and ugly!
>
> During the development of KDE 4.0, different approaches for a K menu
> (application launcher) were tried. Some projects, like Raptor, were
> ambitious but there was no way they could be completed on time. At the
> time, one developer ported SUSE Linux's application launcher (Kickoff)
> to the new KDE architecture. As it was the most ready and feature
> complete (not to mention the product of usability testing) it was
> chosen to be the default menu. If you don't like it, the traditional
> K-menu is available as well. Also, some alternative menu systems have
> been announced (Lancelot, Raptor), but at the time of writing they're
> still in development.

It's very obvious that the devs don't pay attention to any user lists.
They should. If they had they wouldn't have been so quick to choose
SUSE's Kickoff. There was a major flap when SUSE released it on the SUSE
users lists. The majority of SUSE users don't use it and hate it.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:34:27 am Billie Walsh wrote:
> There was a major flap when SUSE released it on the SUSE
> users lists. The majority of SUSE users don't use it and hate it.

How do you know that? has anyone surveyed them? A big fuss on the mailing list
only translates into a fraction of users.

The number of people who regularly post here is pretty few really.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album

Old 12-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Billie Walsh

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:34:27 am Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> There was a major flap when SUSE released it on the SUSE
>> users lists. The majority of SUSE users don't use it and hate it.
>>

> How do you know that? has anyone surveyed them? A big fuss on the mailing list
> only translates into a fraction of users.
>
> The number of people who regularly post here is pretty few really.

You obviously weren't there for the mayhem. It was pretty ugly. They
called into question the parenthood of just about everyone at SUSE.
There were more than just a few posters. There were a _LOT_.

Besides a "majority" is only 51%. So, if only just over half the SUSE
users don't use it..........

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Knapp

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:34:27 am Billie Walsh wrote:
>> There was a major flap when SUSE released it on the SUSE
>> users lists. The majority of SUSE users don't use it and hate it.
>
> How do you know that? has anyone surveyed them? A big fuss on the mailing list
> only translates into a fraction of users.
>
> The number of people who regularly post here is pretty few really.
>
> --
> Lindsay Mathieson
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album

The number that post are few but very often I hear a lot of people
step up and agree with one side or the other when asked. It may be a
small group but I think they bring up the good and the bad that all
see and don't talk about much. A good example is the KDE 4 threads
here. Some liked it and some did not but there were solid trends about
the types of people taking each side. I think you can lean a lot by
reading the lists.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Clay Weber

On Sat December 20 2008 9:34:27 am Billie Walsh wrote:

> It's very obvious that the devs don't pay attention to any user lists.
> They should. If they had they wouldn't have been so quick to choose
> SUSE's Kickoff. There was a major flap when SUSE released it on the SUSE
> users lists. The majority of SUSE users don't use it and hate it.

yes, from what I hear from discussions with various devs, they do not usually
follow <foo>-user lists, as they are generally supposed to be for user-to-user
support..

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net