Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default I need a stable KEYBOARD centric interface!

I'm a long time kde user. But I think perhaps the things I liked about
it differed from the things the kde developers liked about it...

I've had very little exposure to kde4 I did do a test install of
intrepid alpha 6 from which I would have run away (screaming) except that
I was so lost I had to crawl away (whimpering)

I recently tripped over this link:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ

I think it goes a long way to explaining why, or at least what, is
changing in kde...

It does lead me to some specific questions however.

This time I'd like to ask about this short quote from it...

-> What is KRunner?
->
-> KRunner is the versatile mini-command line you can activate by pushing
-> "Alt-F2" or by selecting "Run Command" from the desktop contextual menu.
-> It can search for applications, bookmarks, even sessions basing on your
-> input, show system activity and even do simple arithmetic calculations.
->
-> KRunner's functionality can be extended through the use of plugins
-> ("runners").

I'm sure this is thought of as an improvement over the OLD "Alt-F2
Run Command" But I don't exactly think in pictures. and "Alt-F2" wanted
me to select from a bunch of icons... Which to me are not only mostly
meaningless, but my mind tries to process something like the proverbial
thousand words for each of them, which makes it hard to remember what to
type... I Like accessing the command history via the up/down arrows. And
seeing a list of selectable command text (including command arguments)
when I start typing the command name. If for example I type a "k"
I get a list that includes entries for konsole, krusader, and kwrite.
The latter includes some absolute pathnames that I'd rather select than
retype.

Is it possible to get KRunner to discontinue using icons and to use the
same kind of text based command history display that I just described?

Is there a how-to somewhere?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook said the following at 12/20/2008 01:23 AM :

> Is it possible to get KRunner to discontinue using icons and to use the
> same kind of text based command history display that I just described?

krunner is still under heavy development. At this point, I think it's
anybody's guess how it will end up.

If you have particular features you want to see, I would encourage you to
file a wishlist item at bugs.kde.org.

> Is there a how-to somewhere?

Not as far as I know; and if there is one somewhere, it is almost certainly
out of date :-(

Doc

Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 03:03:08 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Is it possible to get KRunner to discontinue using icons and to use the
> > same kind of text based command history display that I just described?
>
> krunner is still under heavy development. At this point, I think it's
> anybody's guess how it will end up.
>
> If you have particular features you want to see, I would encourage you to
> file a wishlist item at bugs.kde.org.

Is you do so, let the list know so we can vote for it - I would.
--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album

Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Dec 24 2008, Lindsay Mathieson did say:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 03:03:08 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> >
> > If you have particular features you want to see, I would encourage
> > you to file a wishlist item at bugs.kde.org.
>
> Is you do so, let the list know so we can vote for it - I would.

Changes submitted for bug 151534 [Which unfortunately is considered
resolved]

By the way, I've just noticed a related issue with the way
krunner points at krusader in my newly installed and apt-get
upgraded kubuntu 8.10. It's command completion insists on
pointing at a root session of it (which I wouldn't use krusader
for) until the very last character of the command is entered...

Does anyone know if that's kde 4.1.3 itself, or something in
how it's implemented in intrepid???

Likewise I'm getting frustrated by the keyboard shortcut setting
in systensettings under plasma workspace [application launcher]

When I first installed 8.10, it's default <alt>+<F1> worked. But
as soon as I changed to the classic Kmemu style instead of the
kickoff style menu the keyboard short cut stopped working. And
switching back to ugg kickoff didn't fix it. I've confirmed that
it is still set to <alt>+<F1>.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:16 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook said the following at 12/25/2008 12:12 AM :
> It would appear that on Dec 24 2008, Lindsay Mathieson did say:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 03:03:08 am D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> If you have particular features you want to see, I would encourage
>>> you to file a wishlist item at bugs.kde.org.
>> Is you do so, let the list know so we can vote for it - I would.
>
> Changes submitted for bug 151534 [Which unfortunately is considered
> resolved]

I just did a test.

I started krunner three times. The first time I entered "emacs test1". The
second time I entered "emacs test2". The third time I entered "emacs" and
looked at the command history. Both "emacs test1" and "emacs test2" were
there and selectable.

That seems to be what you're asking for, so I imagine that that's why Aaron
has marked this bug resolved.

If you don't agree that that test shows the behaviour you want, I think you
should start a new bug, and VERY CLEARLY walk through a use case that shows
the behaviour you want, and why it's different from what happens now.

(Also, I suggest that you don't address more than one wish in a single bug
report; your icon wish should be put into a separate report. I know it's
tempting to put multiple stuff in one report, but it's much cleaner if
there's just one wish in each bug report.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 12-26-2008, 01:45 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Thu Dec 25 2008, D. R. Evans did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook said the following at 12/25/2008 12:12 AM :
> > Changes submitted for bug 151534 [Which unfortunately is considered
> > resolved]
>
> I just did a test.
>
> I started krunner three times. The first time I entered
> "emacs test1". The second time I entered "emacs test2".
> The third time I entered "emacs" and looked at the command
> history. Both "emacs test1" and "emacs test2" were there
> and selectable.
>
> That seems to be what you're asking for, so I imagine that
> that's why Aaron has marked this bug resolved.
>
> If you don't agree that that test shows the behaviour you
> want, I think you should start a new bug, and VERY CLEARLY
> walk through a use case that shows the behaviour you want,
> and why it's different from what happens now.

OK I just rebooted into intrepid and ran a similar test. And I'll have
to admit the functionality is there. And as much as I find 'click' only
controls annoying, that little clickable button isn't that hard to
access, even for someone with my lack of hand to screen coordination.
Aside from the Icons, I guess the only reason why it's different from
the behavior I wanted is that I'd like to be able to pop open that list
without resorting to clicking with the {expletive deleted} rodent.
It used to happen automatically as I type. But that's when
krunner is busy inserting those icons.

> (Also, I suggest that you don't address more than one wish
> in a single bug report; your icon wish should be put into
> a separate report. I know it's tempting to put multiple
> stuff in one report, but it's much cleaner if there's just
> one wish in each bug report.)

So then I should maybe put in two new wish list reports:

One asking for a keyboard shortcut being assigned to the button
that pops open the list. (The down arrow would be an ideal
default...)

And the other asking for a configuration option to quell the
use of those icons I find so distracting, -or- at least to
quell the animated way they move into place. (As much as icons
are to me a bunch of meaningless images, I think its the
motion near the text I'm typing that distracts me the most.

If I go there, I suppose I might as well assume that my issue
with the way krunner pulls up the root version of krusader
until I finish typing the whole command name is a kde issue
unless the kde team tells me it's specific to kubuntu.

So that would make three separate reports. the first two
being wish list items. But I think the krusader item is more
like a bug than a wish list item.

Then there is the <alt>+<F1> kmenu shortcut that failed me as
soon as I selected the classic kde style menu. But I'm not
sure if I should post that against the kmenu or the keyboard
shortcut section of systemsettings??? (A clue would be
appreciated) I think I'll have to create another dummy user
account in intrepid to see if the short cut still works until
I switch away from the kickoff style menu before I write that
one up.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to use the keyboard to
activate the menu in kde4's version of konsole? I didn't find
a choice for that in the keyboard shortcut settings for it.
Hmmmnnn, I'm up to 5 separate bug/wish list reports already... I'd
say 6 reports, if I thought the kde bugzilla was the place to complain
that inside the krusader application I can't get the file menu with
<alt>+F, nor the edit menu with <alt>+E, nor any of the other menu
categories with the combination of the alt key and the underscored
character of the menu items label anymore... (Worked fine in
the krusader I installed to previous versions of kubuntu, and
other pre kde4 linux distro's...)

I just want to limit the proliferation of unwanted graphic
images (especially animated ones) While maintaining full
keyboard oriented control of what I'm doing. Or at least to
keep as much keyboard control as I've grown used to with
kde3.x... But it seems like I'm going to have to invest a lot
of time begging for it from developers who obviously both like
point n' click, and think animated eye candy is a good
thing. <sigh>

Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Dec 25, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> If I go there, I suppose I might as well assume that my issue
> with the way krunner pulls up the root version of krusader
> until I finish typing the whole command name is a kde issue
> unless the kde team tells me it's specific to kubuntu.

Of all the items I mentioned, this one turns out to not be worth
worrying about. This behavior is repeatable with each user account
until I actually start the non-root version of krusader... After that
the default seams to be changed to the non-root version. (for that user
account) I'm still puzzled why it initially defaults to the root session.
But it's not worth basing a bug report on because it clears itself up
so easily...

--
| ~^~ ~^~
| <*> <*> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| \___/ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

But if I actually knew everything, then I'd know I was an idiot...