Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Ralph DeWitt

Default Grub help needed

Hi all:
I have just done a dual boot install of Kubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq Presisario
(sp). The install went without problem. The problem is that it will not boot
into Windows. I went thru a trouble shooting guide and it still will not boot
into windows. Can someone help? Thanks
--
Yours,
Ralph.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Ralph DeWitt wrote:

Hi all:
I have just done a dual boot install of Kubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq Presisario
(sp). The install went without problem. The problem is that it will not boot
into Windows. I went thru a trouble shooting guide and it still will not boot
into windows. Can someone help? Thanks

can you please post the contents of ur /boot/grub/menu.lst file?
not all the file, mind you, just the last parts of it, the automagic
kernel list, and what comes after it.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Ralph DeWitt

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 18:06:58 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> > Hi all:
> > I have just done a dual boot install of Kubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq
> > Presisario (sp). The install went without problem. The problem is that it
> > will not boot into Windows. I went thru a trouble shooting guide and it
> > still will not boot into windows. Can someone help? Thanks
>
> can you please post the contents of ur /boot/grub/menu.lst file?
> not all the file, mind you, just the last parts of it, the automagic
> kernel list, and what comes after it.
Willy:
here is the portion of the file you requested.

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
uuid b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-e9909366c9ea
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-
e9909366c9ea ro quiet splash
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)
uuid b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-e9909366c9ea
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-
e9909366c9ea ro single

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
uuid b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-e9909366c9ea
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-
e9909366c9ea ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
uuid b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-e9909366c9ea
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-
e9909366c9ea ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
uuid b72ba4f3-cab7-4afa-8b74-e9909366c9ea
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

--
Yours,
Ralph.
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234 AIM & Yahoo ralphfdewitt jabber.org
ralphdewitt
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key id = 3097 3BC4
Kernel version 2.6.27-10-generic
Current Linux uptime: 17 days 1 hours minutes.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Art Alexion

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 5:58:38 pm Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> Hi all:
> I have just done a dual boot install of Kubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq Presisario
> (sp). The install went without problem. The problem is that it will not
> boot into Windows. I went thru a trouble shooting guide and it still will
> not boot into windows. Can someone help? Thanks

One thing you have to do to make it work is install windows first. If you try
to install windows after linux, it will cause grub problems.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Ralph DeWitt

On Thursday 18 December 2008 14:42:31 Art Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008 5:58:38 pm Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> > Hi all:
> > I have just done a dual boot install of Kubuntu 8.10 on a Compaq
> > Presisario (sp). The install went without problem. The problem is that it
> > will not boot into Windows. I went thru a trouble shooting guide and it
> > still will not boot into windows. Can someone help? Thanks
>
> One thing you have to do to make it work is install windows first. If you
> try to install windows after linux, it will cause grub problems.
Art:
Thanks for your help. Windows XP was installed prior to kunbuntu install. I
defraged drive, then created /, swap, /home partitions from empty space about
40 gig or so for /home, and around 10 gigs for /.
--
Yours,
Ralph.
It said Use Windows XP or better, so I installed OpenSUSE 11.0
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234 AIM & Yahoo ralphfdewitt jabber.org
ralphdewitt
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key id = 3097 3BC4
Kernel version 2.6.27-10-generic
Current Linux uptime: 8:10, days user hours minutes.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 18 December 2008, Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
> # on /dev/sda1
> title***********Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> root************(hd0,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader*****+1

Can you verify that Windows is on the first partition of the first HD?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Joel Oliver

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, Ralph DeWitt wrote:
>
>> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
>> # on /dev/sda1
>> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>> root (hd0,0)
>> savedefault
>> makeactive
>> chainloader +1
>>

> Can you verify that Windows is on the first partition of the first HD?

Also Windows needs to be a basic partition (Whether primary or
extended)... If you messed around in the Control Panel/Adminitrator
tools/Disk Management and converted the Windows partition to "Dynamic
Partition" this will cause problems as well.