-   -   Gutsy Gibbon more problems?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/2132-gutsy-gibbon-more-problems.html)

Neil Winchurst 11-21-2007 01:36 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

I am still using Kubuntu Edgy, which works fine for me. I noticed the
questions and problems when Feisty appeared and I have now watched with
interest the same with Gutsy.

To me it seems that there are more queries and problems being aired
about Gutsy than there ever were with Feisty. Or is just my imagination?
I have installed Feisty on my brother's laptop and so far he seems
pleased. From what I have read so far on this list I will stay clear of
Gutsy. Or am I being unfair?

Neil Winchurst

Derek Broughton 11-21-2007 02:00 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I am still using Kubuntu Edgy, which works fine for me. I noticed the
> questions and problems when Feisty appeared and I have now watched with
> interest the same with Gutsy.
>
> To me it seems that there are more queries and problems being aired
> about Gutsy than there ever were with Feisty. Or is just my imagination?

I think it is :-) To me it seems there are fewer queries - though my memory
is notorious :-)

> I have installed Feisty on my brother's laptop and so far he seems
> pleased. From what I have read so far on this list I will stay clear of
> Gutsy. Or am I being unfair?

If you aren't adding any new features, imo there's no reason _not_ to
upgrade. Most of the problems I've seen are related to some of the new
features (like compiz) available for gutsy. Of course, I finally got my
wife to use Kubuntu when I gave her my older laptop just before gutsy was
released, and I haven't had the nerve to upgrade _hers_ yet :-) It's all a
matter of how much a disaster might hurt!
--
derek

11-21-2007 02:05 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

I have been running gutsy since a month before the final release. My only problem has been the change in the way it handles wifi. I need to restart the network service everytime, after using vpn.

"Greg Booth" 11-21-2007 02:24 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

On 11/21/07, Neil Winchurst <neil@holsdev.vispa.com> wrote:
> I am still using Kubuntu Edgy, which works fine for me. I noticed the
> questions and problems when Feisty appeared and I have now watched with
> interest the same with Gutsy.
>
> To me it seems that there are more queries and problems being aired
> about Gutsy than there ever were with Feisty. Or is just my imagination?
> I have installed Feisty on my brother's laptop and so far he seems
> pleased. From what I have read so far on this list I will stay clear of
> Gutsy. Or am I being unfair?
>
> Neil Winchurst

I don't think you're being TOTALLY unfair, there are issues, but there
are also more and more people just trying linux and running into
problems they don't know how to fix themselves.

However if what you have works to your satisfaction why change ??

Greg

Wulfy 11-21-2007 02:27 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am still using Kubuntu Edgy, which works fine for me. I noticed the
> questions and problems when Feisty appeared and I have now watched with
> interest the same with Gutsy.
>
> To me it seems that there are more queries and problems being aired
> about Gutsy than there ever were with Feisty. Or is just my imagination?
> I have installed Feisty on my brother's laptop and so far he seems
> pleased. From what I have read so far on this list I will stay clear of
> Gutsy. Or am I being unfair?
>
> Neil Winchurst

I moved to Kubuntu from Debian Sarge. That was when Edgy Eft was
current. I upgraded to Feisty and recently to Gutsy with no problems at
all. I do wait for a bit after the release to see what problems people
encounter, though. I use aptitude exclusively for package management.

Some people were not as lucky as I've been. With software as complex as
an OS, it's inevitable that some will problems at upgrade time... but
the people on this list always seem to come through with solutions. I
love the Kubuntu Community! So helpful! :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

11-21-2007 02:41 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

Change is the only constant, the quest for perfection. We geeks will always upgrade to the latest. I keep one disk on one of my destops with xp, that I do not patch, unless it is a high priority one, the I have varios versions of linux and windows. I keep my important files on a usb disk, but try to keep ubuntu to the latest as well as windows vista, down to beta patches. When I see a stable release, then I update my main pc windows and ubuntu partitions to that level. That ussualy happens once a year or less.

Billie Walsh 11-21-2007 10:36 PM

Gutsy Gibbon more problems??

On 11/21/2007 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> To me it seems that there are more queries and problems being aired
> about Gutsy than there ever were with Feisty. Or is just my imagination?
> I have installed Feisty on my brother's laptop and so far he seems
> pleased. From what I have read so far on this list I will stay clear of
> Gutsy. Or am I being unfair?

I tried out Feisty for the first time just before Gutsy came out. I then
upgraded within a short time. It's been a pleasure for both. Things that
drove me crazy in the other Linux OS I use were non-existent. [ That
doesn't mean that I don't have a wish list but......... ] I'm a firm
convert to Kubuntu. I wouldn't be afraid of Gutsy at all if your happy
with Feisty.