Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Video Player Problems

After Reading Douglas Knapp's comment on 12/16/08 Re: Q: how is plasma
different? , I tried to play the you.tube link. I got great audio, however
no video. I am currently using Kubuntu Hardy with KDE3.5.10. What is
necessary to make a you.tube video to play? TIA

Steven

Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
> After Reading Douglas Knapp's comment on 12/16/08 Re: Q: how is plasma
> different? , I tried to play the you.tube link. I got great audio, however
> no video. I am currently using Kubuntu Hardy with KDE3.5.10. What is
> necessary to make a you.tube video to play? TIA
>
> Steven

Hi Steven,

first you should nesure that your flash-plugin is installed. So close
any Browser and then, ex. on a console:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Afterwars, your firefox should display the youtube video just fine.
Should your firefox have an extension installed like "noscript" (which
is meant to prevent script execution), you need to disable this
extension for youtube and related websites.

That's about it for a start.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Steven Vollom

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 12:15:28 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Dear Eberhard,

I thought I already had flash. It said I already have the latest version of
flash.

Is your noscript question relating to Java script. I don't have a noscript
option, but Java is enabled.

The video I wanted to watch was about Plasma desktop. Voice, no video.

Any other ideas?

Steven

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2008 12:15:28 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>
> Dear Eberhard,
>
> I thought I already had flash. It said I already have the latest version of
> flash.
>
> Is your noscript question relating to Java script. I don't have a noscript
> option, but Java is enabled.
>
> The video I wanted to watch was about Plasma desktop. Voice, no video.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Steven

Well, not really.

okay:
Are you using the Sun Java Runtime JRE ?

When it does not work with Firefox, what happens if you look at the
youtube video with konqueror or opera?

If anything fails, there is a workaround, although it is not a solution
for your problem:

You might install the "downloadhelper" application for firefox.
Downloadhelper can download youtube videos (and more) to your local
harddisk. From there you can use ex. vlc to look at both, Sound AND Video.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> On Tuesday 16 December 2008 12:15:28 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>>> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>> Dear Eberhard,
>>
>> I thought I already had flash. It said I already have the latest version of
>> flash.
>>
>> Is your noscript question relating to Java script. I don't have a noscript
>> option, but Java is enabled.
>>
>> The video I wanted to watch was about Plasma desktop. Voice, no video.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Steven
>>
> Well, not really.
>
> okay:
> Are you using the Sun Java Runtime JRE ?

More precisely:
If you are NOT using it, install SUN JRE and then try, if it works with
this.

Note: You need to make your Browsers aware of which Java you are using.

Although there are nice options to work simultaneously with multiple
java versions (ex. /etc/alternatives/java). I found that selecting SUN
JRE to install and also deleting anythinng else Java related makes the
system use SUN JRE. ;-)

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Steven Vollom

> Are you using the Sun Java Runtime JRE ?

Yes

> When it does not work with Firefox, what happens if you look at the
> youtube video with konqueror or opera?

It works most of the time, however the particular link I went to seemed
different anyway. It had a white area where the screen is. The ones that
work have a black screen. Maybe they didn't have the video player installed.

Steven