Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default source?

Simple question to which I can't find the answer: how do I download the
source for a package (preferably using synaptic; I have "source code"
checked in the repository list, but I can't find anything that tells me
what to do in order to actually download source).

Doc

Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Nils Kassube

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Simple question to which I can't find the answer: how do I download the
> source for a package (preferably using synaptic; I have "source code"
> checked in the repository list, but I can't find anything that tells me
> what to do in order to actually download source).

I have no idea how to do it with synaptic but in a terminal it would be a
command like this:

apt-get source packagename

Nils

Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Steven Vollom

> I have no idea how to do it with synaptic but in a terminal it would be a
> command like this:

Hi Nils,

I am probably going to make a fool out of myself again, but if I understand
your question, and I will treat it as though I asked it, after selecting it
by placing a check mark in the box, click on 'Apply' at the top of the
screen, and everything is done automatically.

Steven

Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Steven Vollom said the following at 12/16/2008 10:15 AM :
>> I have no idea how to do it with synaptic but in a terminal it would be a
>> command like this:
>
> Hi Nils,
>
> I am probably going to make a fool out of myself again, but if I understand
> your question, and I will treat it as though I asked it, after selecting it
> by placing a check mark in the box, click on 'Apply' at the top of the
> screen, and everything is done automatically.

What do you mean by "everything"? What *precisely* does one need to do
(after checking the box and reloading the repositories) in order to
download the source for a package.

(I've done it now in apt-get -- thanks, Nils -- but I'd still rather use
synaptic in future.)

Doc

Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I have no idea how to do it with synaptic but in a terminal it would
> > be a command like this:
>
> I am probably going to make a fool out of myself again, but if I
> understand your question, and I will treat it as though I asked it,
> after selecting it by placing a check mark in the box, click on 'Apply'
> at the top of the screen, and everything is done automatically.

Fool? Not really. But you missed the point probably because you never had
the need to use the source code of a package. What you describe is how to
download and install the binary package, not the source code. Anyway,
thanks for trying to help.

Nils

Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Steven Vollom

I get the feeling that when I get to some point in my learning, I will
probably do everything from the terminal, including opening GUIs. I knew I
was probably entering in error. I do crave to contribute something, one of
these days.

Steven

Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Jan Torben Heuer

D. R. Evans wrote:

> (I've done it now in apt-get -- thanks, Nils -- but I'd still rather use
> synaptic in future.)

Downloading sources is really nothing which new users do very often. Therefore I doubt that the authors of synaptic will include it in future.

But you can get grab the sources of synaptic and provide a patch ;-)

Good luck!

Jan

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Jan Torben Heuer said the following at 12/16/2008 12:53 PM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> (I've done it now in apt-get -- thanks, Nils -- but I'd still rather use
>> synaptic in future.)
>
> Downloading sources is really nothing which new users do very often. Therefore I doubt that the authors of synaptic will include it in future.

One wonders why there's a specific checkbox labelled "source code" in
synaptic if it doesn't somehow enable one to download source code.

Doc