Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Default Problems with NTFS external USB drive in Kubuntu

Art Alexion wrote:

> With Ubuntu 8.04 eee, hal might complain that the file system is dirty. All I
> have to do is mount it manually with the force parameter and unmount it
> cleanly, and it works fine.

Either try with ntfsfix or better scan the filesystem in windows.

> At that point (after mounting and unmounting in Gnome), the Kubuntu hal will
> mount it, but the access is really, really slow.
>
> Any ideas on the difference?
>
> Would reformatting it ext3 help?
definitely. Since I am on ext3, ntfs problems are a thing of the past.

> I was thinking I'd create a really small fat32 partion and put the ext3 driver
> for windows there so that I could install it if I ever need it on a windows
> system.
samrt idea. Thanks much!

Eberhard

Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> definitely. Since I am on ext3, ntfs problems are a thing of the past.
>> I was thinking I'd create a really small fat32 partion and put the ext3 driver
>> for windows there so that I could install it if I ever need it on a windows
>> system.
> smart idea. Thanks much!

Hi,

it just came to my mind.

You most probhably need to have Administrator Privileges to install the
Ext3 filesystem driver on windows.

That means, that you cannot expect this to work with any windows machine
that you see out there.

However, 95% of windows machines where the user routinely works as an
administrator, might be ok for a start. ;-))

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
"Art Alexion"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>
>> definitely. Since I am on ext3, ntfs problems are a thing of the past.
>>> I was thinking I'd create a really small fat32 partion and put the ext3 driver
>>> for windows there so that I could install it if I ever need it on a windows
>>> system.
>> smart idea. Thanks much!
>>
> Hi,
>
> it just came to my mind.
>
> You most probhably need to have Administrator Privileges to install the
> Ext3 filesystem driver on windows.
>
> That means, that you cannot expect this to work with any windows machine
> that you see out there.
>
> However, 95% of windows machines where the user routinely works as an
> administrator, might be ok for a start. ;-))

Good point, Eberhard. I expect I will be able to gain administrator
privileges when I need to as it will usually involve a machine I am
troubleshooting or repairing.

By the way, it happened again after a reboot with the drive plugged in.

Plugged it into gnome laptop and it mounted fine. This is the same
version of k/ubuntu. And it it isn't the individual machine. At home
I have a kubuntu 8.04 desktop and a laptop with ubuntu (gnome) 8.04.
Automounts on the laptop, and won't even create an unmounted device on
the desktop. At work, it is the same thing. Ignored by kubuntu 8.04
desktop, and automounts on Ubuntu 8.10 desktop and winxp desktop.

Why is kubuntu or kde having a problem with this drive that other
systems do not have?

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface