Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Martin Laberge

Default Q: how is plasma different?

On Monday 15 December 2008 15:24:30 D. R. Evans wrote:
> I realise that this isn't really the place to ask this question; but I
> couldn't find anywhere better (there doesn't seem to be a reflector for
> plasma users).
>
> I keep reading hints (especially from Aaron) that plasma is somehow
> supposed to be completely different from any kind of desktop we've ever
> seen before. Yet to me it doesn't seem to be fundamentally different from
> pretty much any modern desktop capable of running widgets. I'm obviously
> missing something deep. Can someone here please either explain what is
> supposed to be so awesomely different about plasma, or point me to a
> coherent explanation.
>
> Sorry again to be a bit off-topic for this reflector.
>
> Doc

I am not sure, but I think they Microsoftified or Trekified
the interface, by abstracting functionnality to the user.

A very good thing(tm) if Trekified, but I am not sure about the other way.

And we are only at the beginning of it, so I think there will emerge
a great desktop in some years from this Trekification, but we
are not there yet. (my viewpoint)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Nigel Ridley

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I realise that this isn't really the place to ask this question; but I
> couldn't find anywhere better (there doesn't seem to be a reflector for
> plasma users).
>
> I keep reading hints (especially from Aaron) that plasma is somehow
> supposed to be completely different from any kind of desktop we've ever
> seen before. Yet to me it doesn't seem to be fundamentally different from
> pretty much any modern desktop capable of running widgets. I'm obviously
> missing something deep. Can someone here please either explain what is
> supposed to be so awesomely different about plasma, or point me to a
> coherent explanation.
>
> Sorry again to be a bit off-topic for this reflector.
>
> Doc

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
R C Mitchell

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 02:28:52 Nigel Ridley wrote:

> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ

Wherein one may find:

> What is wrong with the current desktop technology?
>
> Today's desktops are static. Typically they are tied to a folder in which
> one can find icons (application launchers), or user-placed documents and
> folders. Along with pictures and images as backgrounds, the current desktop
> doesn't go any further, or work for the user. Plasma takes a different
> approach, engaging the user by creating a dynamic and highly customizable
> environment.

Which prompts me to ask:

"Who are you? And what have you done with the real KDE team?"

As it has clearly been taken over by alien marketing wonks talking marketing
gibberish and not answering their own question.

I like KDE 3.5 a lot. It does everything I need it to do, and I don't see any
pressing need for customising different desktops. My desktop contains the
things that I'm working with and when I've finished with them I put them away
(but maybe that's a woman thing.)

I don't like KDE 4. I don't like all that black, which is oppressively macho,
and although I finally worked out how to change my background I can't seem to
vary the atmosphere very much. I don't like plasmoids because they clutter
up my desktop, which it seems to me is what plasma is trying to avoid. I
like to see my essential information (time, date, moon phase (= state of the
tide), local weather with temperature, pressure and (absolutely essential)
wind speed and direction, tucked away in a small corner where I can see them
clearly and succinctly at a glance.

It's possible, of course, that I may learn to love KDE 4 and its successors
given time. I'm planning to keep trying, out of harm's way on my spare HDD,
but meanwhile it looks like if I want to progress with Ubuntu then I may have
to resort to Gnome, which I also dislike although not as much as I do KDE 4
(An acceptable replacement for Epiphany would be a good start.)

Meanwhile, I'm a reasonable kind of girl and open to persuasion by reasoned
argument rather than a marketing pitch. Are any of you man enough to accept
the challenge?

Rosie

--
CURRENTLY READING: The Rainbow, by DH Lawrence
Pie'n'Mushies: Barrow Day-by-Day http://pieandmushies.wordpress.com

Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Knapp

I like KDE 3.5 a lot. *It does everything I need it to do, and I don't see any

pressing need for customising different desktops. *My desktop contains the

things that I'm working with and when I've finished with them I put them away

(but maybe that's a woman thing.)
First there is always Xubuntu, Second, KDE 4 lets you do whatever you want. You can make it however you want, also it is themed and someone somewhere will make a nice pink and white desktop with roses and ponies before long.*

*
It's possible, of course, that I may learn to love KDE 4 and its successors

given time. *I'm planning to keep trying, out of harm's way on my spare HDD,

but meanwhile it looks like if I want to progress with Ubuntu then I may have

to resort to Gnome, which I also dislike although not as much as I do KDE 4

(An acceptable replacement for Epiphany would be a good start.)

Meanwhile, I'm a reasonable kind of girl and open to persuasion by reasoned

argument rather than a marketing pitch. *Are any of you man enough to accept

the challenge?

Rosie
Watch this:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCK0eWV4h4&feature=related

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
R C Mitchell

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 13:00:23 Knapp wrote:

> First there is always Xubuntu, Second, KDE 4 lets you do whatever you want.
> You can make it however you want, also it is themed and someone somewhere
> will make a nice pink and white desktop with roses and ponies before long.

Ho ho! Very funny! Have you ever thought of doing stand-up? You'd be a riot
at the Drill Hall!

> Watch this:
> http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCK0eWV4h4&feature=related

Boys and their toys, huh? I see - the flashier the geewhizzery the bigger the
plonker you are^H^H^H have!

Now, is there anybody else prepared to take on the challenge without being
patronising?

Rosie

Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Knapp

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM, R C Mitchell <rcm@swimbarrow.co.uk> wrote:

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 13:00:23 Knapp wrote:

> First there is always Xubuntu, Second, KDE 4 lets you do whatever you want.

> You can make it however you want, also it is themed and someone somewhere

> will make a nice pink and white desktop with roses and ponies before long.

Ho ho! *Very funny! *Have you ever thought of doing stand-up? *You'd be a riot

at the Drill Hall!

> Watch this:

> http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCK0eWV4h4&feature=related

Boys and their toys, huh? *I see - the flashier the geewhizzery the bigger the

plonker you are^H^H^H have!

Now, is there anybody else prepared to take on the challenge without being

patronising?

Rosie

That was not patronizing. Have you ever looked at all the themes out there for other software? Also your first post was a bit sexist as is this one.

A quick google brings up this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lauraj.net/portfolio/GameArt/Toonstruck/fluffyThemeB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lauraj.net/portfolio/GameArt/Toonstruck/Themepack.htm&h=600&w=800&sz=101&tbnid=JOeWdtiET30 J::&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpink%2Bthemes&usg=__x9yWEXesA_hjyCghL RGEJXz8GdQ=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image &cd=1

Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Billie Walsh

R C Mitchell wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2008 02:28:52 Nigel Ridley wrote:
>

>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ
>>

> Wherein one may find:
>

>> What is wrong with the current desktop technology?
>>
>> Today's desktops are static. Typically they are tied to a folder in which
>> one can find icons (application launchers), or user-placed documents and
>> folders. Along with pictures and images as backgrounds, the current desktop
>> doesn't go any further, or work for the user. Plasma takes a different
>> approach, engaging the user by creating a dynamic and highly customizable
>> environment.
>>

> Which prompts me to ask:
>
> "Who are you? And what have you done with the real KDE team?"
>
> As it has clearly been taken over by alien marketing wonks talking marketing
> gibberish and not answering their own question.
>
> I like KDE 3.5 a lot. It does everything I need it to do, and I don't see any
> pressing need for customising different desktops. My desktop contains the
> things that I'm working with and when I've finished with them I put them away
> (but maybe that's a woman thing.)
>
> I don't like KDE 4. I don't like all that black, which is oppressively macho,
> and although I finally worked out how to change my background I can't seem to
> vary the atmosphere very much. I don't like plasmoids because they clutter
> up my desktop, which it seems to me is what plasma is trying to avoid. I
> like to see my essential information (time, date, moon phase (= state of the
> tide), local weather with temperature, pressure and (absolutely essential)
> wind speed and direction, tucked away in a small corner where I can see them
> clearly and succinctly at a glance.
>
> It's possible, of course, that I may learn to love KDE 4 and its successors
> given time. I'm planning to keep trying, out of harm's way on my spare HDD,
> but meanwhile it looks like if I want to progress with Ubuntu then I may have
> to resort to Gnome, which I also dislike although not as much as I do KDE 4
> (An acceptable replacement for Epiphany would be a good start.)
>
> Meanwhile, I'm a reasonable kind of girl and open to persuasion by reasoned
> argument rather than a marketing pitch. Are any of you man enough to accept
> the challenge?
>
> Rosie

I can think of no good persuasive argument against anything you said. I
have to agree with everything. The only excuse for KDE4.x I can come up
with is that one of the devs bought a new computer and was blown away
with all the eye candy. SO, they are trying to make KDE as much like
Vista desktop as possible.

I also have KDE4.x [ 64 bit vs. 386 on this drive ] on a separate hard
drive. I find it to be slower in a lot of ways. When opening a window,
or drop down, I see this "box" full of hash for a couple seconds before
anything intelligible shows. Kind of like an old TV that's losing
horizontal sync. Anything where your moving an object [ moving a card in
Patience for instance ] within a window is also slower than 3.5.x. It's
like it takes way to much processor power to write to the screen. [ 3.6
intel dual core processor. ]

I have absolutely NO need for eye candy. If that was what I wanted I
would use Vista because, honestly, they have have KDE4.x beat all the
H___ in that respect. I just want a stable, good OS, that I can use
without a lot of fuss and bother. I'll try out KDE 4.2 when it's
released and probably won't seriously consider a complete move to KDE
4.x until at least Kubuntu 9.10. I still like KDE X.x better than Gnome.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Eberhard Roloff

On 12/16/2008 R C Mitchell wrote:
> Meanwhile, I'm a reasonable kind of girl and open to persuasion by
> reasoned
> argument rather than a marketing pitch. Are any of you man enough to
> accept
> the challenge?

Hi Rosie, I never accept a task that I cannot win.:-)

I suggest you continue with 3.5x until you'll find something better to
do your work. I changed to Kubuntu 8.10 where I am (sort of) forced to
use KDE 4. There are times when I regret it!

After a while I must say, I like KDE 4 more and more and it is getting
better, one step after the other.

Having said this, I also have two different desktops available to do
"real work" when I feel "overcandied". One is xubuntu, the other is fluxbox.

It's good to be on Linux where a reasonable girl can freely choose what
desktop environment she likes to use.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Derek Broughton

R C Mitchell wrote:

> I like to see my essential information (time, date, moon phase (=
> state of the tide),

Clearly the person who wrote the plasmoid has _no_ concept of "essential
information". The old moon phase applet had better contrast - even at a
tiny size - so that you could actually see the phase, and when you
moused over it (or maybe right clicked - I don't remember) would tell
you "6 days to full moon" or "3 days after new moon" or something
similar. The plasmoid practically always looks like a full moon to me,
it can't be used on the kicker panel, and it never actually tells me
when the real full moon is. The author should have been staked out on a
beach this weekend around the normal high tide mark, to grasp the real
relevance of a moon phase applet.

> It's possible, of course, that I may learn to love KDE 4 and its
> successors

I think it's probable - once they actually provide the functionality we
had in 3.5. It's the huge loss of functionality that has be almost
permanently PO'd.

> Meanwhile, I'm a reasonable kind of girl and open to persuasion by
> reasoned
> argument rather than a marketing pitch. Are any of you man enough to
> accept the challenge?

Not me :-)
--
derek

Old 12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
"D. R. Evans"

R C Mitchell said the following at 12/16/2008 03:38 AM :
> On Tuesday 16 December 2008 02:28:52 Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ
>
> Wherein one may find:
>
>> What is wrong with the current desktop technology?
>>
>> Today's desktops are static. Typically they are tied to a folder in which
>> one can find icons (application launchers), or user-placed documents and
>> folders. Along with pictures and images as backgrounds, the current desktop
>> doesn't go any further, or work for the user. Plasma takes a different
>> approach, engaging the user by creating a dynamic and highly customizable
>> environment.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing that prompted me to ask the original
question. ("Today's desktops are static"? What's that supposed to mean? The
desktop on my KDE3 sure doesn't look static. But I sort-of digress.)

Somehow it seems like there has to be more to it than
pretty-desktop-with-widgets, but the fact that I can't seem to find a clear
description that distills to anything different than that makes me wonder
if it really is just market-speak.

But surely they wouldn't completely rewrite everything if that's all there
was to it (I mean, we already had pretty-desktop-with-widgets with KDE
3.x). So I have to be misunderstanding -- but I'm not the only one, not by
a long chalk; everything I read, except from developers, comes down to
"KDE4 is pretty-desktop-with-widgets"; the developers seem to think it's
more than that, but they incredibly opaque about what else it is.

Doc