Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
tom bell

Default Wifi not connecting (was: RTL8187B!!!!...)

Lou,
I seems as though you have the WiFi working, except it won't connect to
other networks.
Q: Are the other networks secure?
Q: Do you have a personal WiFi router that you want to connect to?
Q: Are you using Network Manager?
Q: When you attempt connection, what is the error message if any?
Q: Do you know your MAC address?
Setting up a wireless router involves many settings. I opted to block
transmission of the ESSID after connecting the first time. I use MAC
address blocking and WPA2 security. But that is only on the personal
wireless router. Open WiFi routers do not need any of that.
Let me know!

Tom
--
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when
we created them.”

On 12/14/2008 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com inscribed:

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
"Lou"

Hi Tom, thanks for reply

in my office exist 5 router wifi, (using "vista" I can connect to all)
using kubuntu, I see all using KNetworkManager, (open and secure )
but, when I try to connect, the networkmanager go to 28% and no more,
and show me the error that say that we can't connect or similar.
can you help me ?

yes, I know my MAC address.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
tom bell

On 12/14/2008 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com inscribed:
> in my office exist 5 router wifi, (using "vista" I can connect to all)
> using kubuntu, I see all using KNetworkManager, (open and secure )
> but, when I try to connect, the networkmanager go to 28% and no more,
> and show me the error that say that we can't connect or similar.
> can you help me ?
>
> yes, I know my MAC address.

Okay...
Q: Do you have the password set in KNetworkManager?
As long as you can see at least one wireless network the NIC in your
computer is working fine with kubuntu. It is just a matter of getting
your computer to connect with the router. Making sure your MAC is not
blocked by the router and that you have an ITP address that is not
conflicting with any other computer. Normally that is handled
automatically, however, sometimes that ITP for a client needs to be
manually set. Check the ITP you get when you logon with "vista" and see
if your computer NIC under kubuntu has the same.
Let me know!

Tom