Old 12-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Glenn R Williams

Default Awk Missing

Michael,

gawk is probably what you want. you could get the source from

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gawk/

There are many versions there. Once you install and run, you could update
Ubuntu with synaptic and get the Ubuntu version of gawk.

HTH,

Glenn

Old 12-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Donn

> for apt. On closer examination, I found that Awk is missing from my system.
You should be able to get the deb off the install cd for gawk/awk. Try use
dpkg to install it before you head off for the source. You may be in a
catch-22 needing gcc to compile the source and needing apt to install gcc...

OTOH, gawk may already be in /usr/bin and all you need to do is create a
symlink from 'awk' to 'gawk'

hth,

Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Glenn R Williams

On Sunday 14 December 2008 11:24:09 Donn wrote:
> > for apt. On closer examination, I found that Awk is missing from my
> > system.
>
> You should be able to get the deb off the install cd for gawk/awk. Try use
> dpkg to install it before you head off for the source. You may be in a
> catch-22 needing gcc to compile the source and needing apt to install
> gcc...
>
> OTOH, gawk may already be in /usr/bin and all you need to do is create a
> symlink from 'awk' to 'gawk'
>
> hth,

Donn,

Good idea. Incrementally approaching the problem will probably save some grief
further along! I hadn't thought that maybe it was a symlink between gawk and
awk. It makes sense, though, since Ubuntu uses gawk.

Glenn