Old 12-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Email goes to Outbox

>Now I would expect you can see the account name Kmail uses for sending mail.
>It has nothing to do with your account name at your provider. unless you
>have manually changed this name, it was derived from your email address when
>you created the account, i.e. Kmail uses the domain of your email address
>with a capital first letter. And this is the name which I see in the error
>message when I try to send mail while the network isn't available.

Dear Nils,

I see what you mean. It does show my account as Sbcglobal.net. on smtp
settings.

It says my account on pop is Studio25. Could these differences be the reason
my sending is delayed?

Since we are required to name things in the configuration of our programs, and
I have never named my account Sbcglobal.net, therefore, it appeared, perhaps,
the reason I was having difficulty sending emails.

In fact, before my server instructed me to use my email address in naming the
it works like this for account, I used the name Studio25 for that purpose.
Everything worked fine both ways.

This was the first time in my experience that the name had been supplied by a
mail program. Before it was named either by me, or a requirement by the
server. If this is correct then I accept it, and will continue to look for
whatever is amiss.

If I can't change it, though, I will have to change back to Thunderbird,
because there is just too much time used and too much clicking to get an
email to send this way. When I click on send using Thunderbird, it sends
without any delay.

If you and other kmail users have to do this every time you send an email, you
are much more patient than me, and I though I was very patient.

Steven

Old 12-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I see what you mean. It does show my account as Sbcglobal.net. on smtp
> settings.
>
> It says my account on pop is Studio25. Could these differences be the
> reason my sending is delayed?

No, that are just names for the user to distinguish various accounts. I
use different names for pop and smtp as well and I never see a problem
unless the internet connection or the server is not available. If you
think it might be a problem you can rename the account if you want to.
However it will not improve the situation. Like I wrote before, it is
probably a too short timeout somewhere but I don't know where.

> If you and other kmail users have to do this every time you send an
> email, you are much more patient than me, and I though I was very
> patient.

Actually I don't see the error very often, maybe twice a month.

Nils

Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Steven Vollom

Thanks Nils, it helps to know my system is more normal than I think. There is
one other thing I wondered about the time-out, that is if I am downloading
and using a lot of the band width, could that interfere with the send
instruction?

Steven

Old 12-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> If you and other kmail users have to do this every time you send an email,
> you are much more patient than me, and I though I was very patient.

The only time I have ever seen an email stick in the outbox is when:

a) There was a problem sending the file... it was not accepted.
b) There was something wrong with the addressing, in which case it would not
get sent.

In either case there was a clear message as to why things didn't go. As I
said before, you must have a flakely connection. If you can get it to send
just by trying it again, then there is nothing wrong with Kmail.

Does it always take a click? I thought you said sometimes it would send right
away.

Have you looked at the 'sending options' on the bottom of the page of the
send account page? Lots of ways to screw things up there.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Steven Vollom

> Does it always take a click? I thought you said sometimes it would send
> right away.

It happens every time.

> Have you looked at the 'sending options' on the bottom of the page of the
> send account page? Lots of ways to screw things up there.

Yes, they verify as correct.

Is it possible that bad memory or a power supply could trigger a failure? It
may be a stupid question, however all the posts relate to potential problems
that have been checked a dozen times. Thanks!

Steven

Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 AM
David McGlone

On Sunday 14 December 2008 2:41:49 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Does it always take a click? I thought you said sometimes it would send
> > right away.
>
> It happens every time.
>
> > Have you looked at the 'sending options' on the bottom of the page of
> > the send account page? Lots of ways to screw things up there.
>
> Yes, they verify as correct.
>
> Is it possible that bad memory or a power supply could trigger a failure?
> It may be a stupid question, however all the posts relate to potential
> problems that have been checked a dozen times. Thanks!

Steven send me one of those screenies.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
nepal

On Sunday 14 December 2008 14:33:06 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> b) There was something wrong with the addressing, in which case it would
> not get sent.
>
> In either case there was a clear message as to why things didn't go.

as mentioned in another thread on this topic

<this is bad news, two threads for a single ongoing topic>

the problem appears to do with the transport protocol. i.e. the smtp server
for 'mypostoffice' will not send googlemail messages. Yet that was the
default being set by kmail.

nepal.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 15 December 2008, nepal wrote:
> as mentioned in another thread on this topic
>
> <this is bad news, two threads for a single ongoing topic>
>
> the problem appears to do with the transport protocol. i.e. the smtp server
> for 'mypostoffice' will not send googlemail messages. Yet that was the
> default being set by kmail.

So why didn't you set the default to something proper?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
nepal

On Monday 15 December 2008 18:13:16 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 15 December 2008, nepal wrote:
> > as mentioned in another thread on this topic
> >
> > <this is bad news, two threads for a single ongoing topic>
> >
> > the problem appears to do with the transport protocol. i.e. the
> > smtp server for 'mypostoffice' will not send googlemail messages.
> > Yet that was the default being set by kmail.
>
> So why didn't you set the default to something proper?

I don't understand your question, what do you mean by "proper".
Originally I set the default as my main ??@mypostoffice.co.uk smtp
account. However when I wished to use a googlemail account to send a
message, the transport protocol would still default to
@mypostoffice.... and the message would fail to get sent. I even
remember many occasions that I selected a googlemail transport
protocol, and hit re-send, yet the default @mypostoffice.co.uk
returned. This version of kde and kmail is the first encounter I have
had with transport protocols and these associated prpblems. All I did
in the past was enter each of the smtp accounts that I wanted to use,
and then select the appropriate email address to use them.

nepal.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Derek Broughton

nepal wrote:

> On Monday 15 December 2008 18:13:16 Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>
>> So why didn't you set the default to something proper?
>
> I don't understand your question, what do you mean by "proper".
> Originally I set the default as my main ??@mypostoffice.co.uk smtp
> account. However when I wished to use a googlemail account to send a
> message, the transport protocol would still default to
> @mypostoffice.... and the message would fail to get sent. I even
> remember many occasions that I selected a googlemail transport
> protocol, and hit re-send, yet the default @mypostoffice.co.uk
> returned. This version of kde and kmail is the first encounter I have
> had with transport protocols and these associated prpblems. All I did
> in the past was enter each of the smtp accounts that I wanted to use,
> and then select the appropriate email address to use them.

I completely agree with Bruce - you are expecting your mail program to
be able to guess about transports, instead of properly setting them.

Create multiple "Identities". Assign a transport to each one. Set the
identity your are sending as, either by setting "Identity" on a per-
message basis (if the drop-down isn't visible, select it on the View
menu), or by filtering messages into specific folders, and setting
Identities per-folder.

I believe the problem you've encountered manually setting the transport
is expected - because you haven't changed your identity, either.
--
derek