Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 PM
R C Mitchell

Default Can't install flugin-nonfree any more in 8.04

Earlier this week I despaired of Intrepid with KDE 4 after I installed 4,2 to
see if it was any better than the lamentable 4.1. In some ways it was, but
in others it was no better and when all my applets crashed that was the last
straw. (Some may think that that having a functional moon phase indicator is
a frivololity but living on an offshore island as I do I need those to tell
me, amongst other things, the state of the tide.)

So, I went back to basics and re-installed Hardy with KDE 3.5.10. That's a
fine front end and I can't understand why it needs making glitzier. I
successfully unravelled all my old .kde settings and I was a happy little
bunny again. All except for one thing.

On my 64-bit box I've always had Flash running successfully by running

$ sudo apt-get install nspluginwrapper flashplugin-nonfree

But this time it failed, with the following output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
firefox libflashsupport msttcorefonts ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
The following NEW packages will be installed
flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
After this operation, 549kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package nspluginwrapper.
(Reading database ... 107988 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nspluginwrapper
(from .../nspluginwrapper_0.9.91.5-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package flashplugin-nonfree.
Unpacking flashplugin-nonfree
(from .../flashplugin-nonfree_9.0.124.0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up nspluginwrapper (0.9.91.5-2ubuntu2) ...
Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (9.0.124.0ubuntu2) ...
Downloading...
--14:13:39--
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
=> `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz'
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com... 88.221.170.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com|88.221.170.70|:80... connected.
14:13:40 ERROR 404: Not Found.

download failed
The Flash plugin is NOT installed.

Any ideas?

Rosie

CURRENTLY READING: The Rainbow, by DH Lawrence
Pie'n'Mushies: Barrow Day-by-Day http://pieandmushies.wordpress.com
I am not young enough to know everything