Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Brian Norman Wootton

Default openoffice.org

It do have 64 bit! I installed from PPA on my Kubuntu Intrepid amd64.

$ file /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin: ELF 64-bit LSB executable,
x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked
(uses shared libs), stripped

Are there a bug somewhere or is it a user error because you are the
second to say there is no 64 bit?

/ Jonas
-------

I've got kubuntu 8.10 on a 64bit amd, I installed openoffice.org using
adept and I've had no trouble with it so far, reads all my MS word files.
runs all incoming MS .pps files beautifully. Must admit, though, that I use Kate mostly, far simpler for my moth eaten memory.
brian

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM
lanzen

On Saturday 13 December 2008 10:07:17 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:

> I've got kubuntu 8.10 on a 64bit amd, I installed openoffice.org using
> adept and I've had no trouble with it so far, reads all my MS word files.
> runs all incoming MS .pps files beautifully.

No crashes? You must be taking about 2.4.

--
lanzen

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Brian Norman Wootton

> > I've got kubuntu 8.10 on a 64bit amd, I installed openoffice.org using
> > adept and I've had no trouble with it so far, reads all my MS word files.
> > runs all incoming MS .pps files beautifully.

No crashes? You must be taking about 2.4.

That's what I'm using, is that bad? what am I missing here? my motto is usually 'if it's
working, don't fix it', but......

brian

Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM
lanzen

On Saturday 13 December 2008 17:22:50 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:

> That's what I'm using, is that bad? what am I missing here? my motto is
> usually 'if it's working, don't fix it', but......

No, no, you're not missing anything: you got the right packages and you're
staying safe out of problems.

--
lanzen

Old 12-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Art Alexion

On Saturday 13 December 2008 04:07:17 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> user error because you are the
> second to say there is no 64 bit?

User error based on the assumption that because it couldn't find java, it must
be 32 bit. Rather, it is java that is 32 bit.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Art Alexion

On Saturday 13 December 2008 04:19:24 lanzen wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 10:07:17 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> > I've got kubuntu 8.10 on a 64bit amd, I installed openoffice.org using
> > adept and I've had no trouble with it so far, reads all my MS word files.
> > runs all incoming MS .pps files beautifully.
>
> No crashes? You must be taking about 2.4.

Upgraded from ppa. Crashes occur. Thinking it is not 64 bit and to avoid
crashes, I removed and installed from www.openoffice.org. Java not working,
and learn that there is 64 bit in the ppa, I uninstall the /opt installation
and reinstall from ppa. No crashes.